Kolob Canyon RTC
Kolob Canyon RTC Photo #7 - Upper barn. Student have the opportunity to care for the horses on a daily basis. Students also participate in Equine Therapy and weekly horseback riding classes.
Kolob Canyon RTC Photo #9 - Students at Kolob ride on a weekly basis. Students are taught the Hunter/Jumper English style of riding. Students compete a local horse shows during the spring, summer and fall months.
Kolob Canyon RTC Photo #10 - Students participate in weekly Adventure activities each Wednesday. Adventure trips also occur every month with the exception of November and December. Adventure activities include,but are not limited to river rafting, hiking, camping, snowboarding, paddle boarding and cross country skiing.
Kolob Canyon, a premier intermediate Residential Treatment Center, provides an intimate homelike environment with warmth and individual attention for troubled teen girls ages 14-17.
We are purposely small with just 12 students. Personal healing through intensive therapy, adventure and physical health are our primary goals.
Experienced therapists provide individual, family, group, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT), EMDR, equine therapy, and adventure therapy are therapeutic modalities utilized at Kolob Canyon.
Typical clinical issues for girls at Kolob Canyon include trauma, depression, anxiety, adoption/attachment, low-level substance abuse, self-harm, emotional dysregulation, and family struggles.
- School Type: Alternative School
- Grades: 9-12
- Enrollment: 12 students
- Yearly Tuition: $132,000
- Application Deadline: None / Rolling
- Source: Verified school update
Learning Difference Programs
Learning Programs Supported
Mild Learning Disabilities, ADHD
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 24%
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
% Faculty w/Advanced Degree
List of Courses Offered
Average SAT score
Average ACT score
Classroom Dress Code
Packing list provided
Packing list provided
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
None / Rolling
Yearly Tuition Cost
Monthly tuition is currently $11,000.00. A one time admission fee of $2450.00 and a quarterly activity fee of $650.00 is charged.
% on Financial Aid
Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.
Club or Organization:
Adventure Therapy, Horsemanship
Adventure Therapy, Horsemanship
- Kolob Canyon Residential Treatment Center provides services to troubled teenage girls between the ages of 14 through 17 who are experiencing challenges with depression, anxiety, self-harm, suicide ideation, eating disorders, adoption issues, difficulties in school, poor peer and/or family relations, limit setting, oppositional defiance and low self-worth. Kolob Canyon takes a holistic approach to therapy and growth for adolescent females while teaching social skills and interpersonal development. Kolob Canyon believes that behavior is a function of one's self-perception and that self-worth profoundly affects behavior. Depression, low self-esteem and misbehavior are almost always manifestations of deeper problems. Kolob uses a busy, but fun schedule of experiences and adventure to help our students find a "Life Worth Living". Girls and parents participate in regular outdoor adventures that provide connection, skills building, insight and mastery. We believe that a soft, patient approach where your daughter is cared about and loved, while still being held accountable for her decisions and conduct is the ideal treatment that teen girls struggling with depression, anxiety, attachment issues and oppositional behavior. Our small intimate setting of just 12 girls is the ideal place for a troubled teenage girl who needs a relationship model of care.
- The Kolob Canyon clinical program is intentionally highly structured and intensive. It is the result of many years of successfully working with troubled teenage girls through a comprehensive program that mixes traditional and adventure therapy. We believe this blend of therapies decreases the amount of time a girl has to stay in the program while increasing overall success rates. We are a DBT based program, but we also use different modalities of therapy to meet the individualized needs of our students. Our therapists are trained and certified in Equine Assisted Therapy, Adventure Therapy, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT) and EMDR.
- Academics include a traditional school day with certified teachers and small class sizes. Our year round schedule allows girls to easily make up missing school credits. Individualized academics can help a girl prepare for college or provide the extra support needed to accomdate IEP recommendations.
- We specialize in individualized treatment for your daughter. Come experience the peace and change at Kolob!
Source: Verified school update
Our daughter graduated from Kolob Canyon High School on April 2019. Education, therapy, and nature meet symbiotically at Kolob Canyon and all attribute to Kolob's unique and specialized program which encapsulates what we hope for our children; a nurturing environment to help them find themselves and show them a path to hope and a future worth living. We toured 3 facilities while our daughter was in wilderness therapy. Kolob was the only RTC that truly felt like home. We knew from the start that the hug we received on our initial tour was genuine and was the beginning of our daughter's healthy future. The small size keeps it controlled and individualized from academics to treatment plans. Our family is proud to say that our daughter is a Kolob Condor.... and always will be! Even 9 months after graduation, she still phones the staff to say "hello." We know we will always have a family in Kolob Canyon. We are grateful for the environment they provided so that our daughter found her way back to a place of hope. Thank you Kolob Canyon RTC. You are in our hearts forever.
My daughter just graduated from Kolob - it is a magical, transformative program. The combination of small, engaging academic classes, equine focus, high caliber therapy, strong community, and weekly adventures combine for a unique and powerful program that can get your daughter back on the right track for wellness, success, and health.
My daughter graduated from Kolob Canyon and we are VERY satisfied with the school. The small number of students meant that every girl received individual attention. The atmosphere was warm and nurturing. The therapy was fantastic and integrated into everything the girls did. The teachers were super patient and understanding of the girls emotional issues, yet still held my daughter accountable for her academics.
Endorse Kolob Canyon RTC. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
A Timeline of Private School Events and History
What was the first private school? What's the oldest school? What are some of the educational philosophies commonly found? Some answers here.
Suicide Prevention: Caring For Our Young People
At last we have a dedicated phone number for suicide and crisis support. The Suicide and Crisis Lifeline is 988. More about it and suicide prevention here.
Seemingly never-ending school shootings prompted me to find out whether private schools were safer than public schools. Some answers and opinions on the matter here.