Little Keswick School
- Little Keswick School has been serving boys with moderately severe social/emotional challenges and learning disabilities for 55 years. Our small therapeutic school provides warm and nurturing relationships, intensive clinical intervention, and individualized education to 35 boys in a highly structured environment that ensures that they develop successfully.
- We encourage family involvement so that students may carry over positive behavior to the home environment as well as that of the community to which the student is intended to return.
- Boys between ten and fifteen years of age are admitted from throughout the country, to work on issues related to executive functioning, social and relationship challenges (neuro-developmental, dynamic, or experiential in nature), collaboration, personal competence, and learning issues. Intellectual levels of our students range from low-average to superior.
- Depending on their continuing clinical and educational needs, students may stay through their seventeenth year, with most requiring two to three years of emersion in our therapeutic community to attain the gains necessary for a successful transition.
|School Type||Special Education School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Private Special Education Centers|
|Grades Offered||Grades 4-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||all|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost||$25,514|
|Summer Program Cost Notes||Required for all students June-August programming.|
|Total Students||35 students|
|Student Body Type||All-boys|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 23%
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||5 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||7 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(khaki pants, collared shirt)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$114,210|
|Tuition Notes||$114,210 not including summer or optional services which include Speech Therapy, Occupational Therapy and Art Therapy.|
|Admissions Director||Melissa Dagitz|
|Admissions Associate||Tom Rigg|
|Total Sports Offered||7 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Flag Football, Kayaking, Mountain Biking, Rock Climbing, Soccer, SwimmingBasketball, Flag Football,|
Kayaking, Mountain Biking,
Rock Climbing, Soccer,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||10 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Art Class, Boy Scouts, Camping, Canoeing, Disc Golf, Fishing, Gardening and more., Hiking, Horseback Riding, Wood Shop
- Boys accepted usually carry a combination of the following or related diagnoses: Attention Deficit or Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder, Specific Learning Disabilities, Anxiety Disorders, Depression, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Autism Spectrum Disorder, Bipolar Disorder, Tourette's Disorder, and Oppositional Defiant Disorder. The school does not accept severely emotionally disturbed children who have been in conflict with the law, have a drug abuse history, or who have sustained patterns of physical aggression. Our boys tend to be gentler and less sophisticated or worldly. Our students participate in individual, group and family therapies provided by our therapists. We have two experienced Ph.D. level Psychologists, as well as a Licensed Clinical Social Worker and our Consulting Child Psychiatrist, who also manages pharmacology for all of the students. Individual, integrated, and group occupational therapy, integrated speech and communications therapy, and art therapy are optional services. A five week summer session is required for all students. A wide array of residential activities are offered, including: horseback riding, woodshop, Boy Scouts, climbing club, athletics, swimming, hiking, creative arts, and optional music instruction.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Fredericksburg Grades: NS-12 | 88 students
10713 Tidewater Trl
Fredericksburg, VA 22408
(540)372-9699 53.3 NS-12
- Fredericksburg Grades: 2-12 | 23 students
1101-A Heatherstone Drive
Fredericksburg, VA 22407
(540)412-5107 49 2-12
Private school tuition seems to go nowhere but up. We look at some of the reasons why and offer the opinion that a private school education is still good value.
It seems to be highly likely that the COVID-19 virus will spread to the United States. We look at step schools and parents can take to protect themselves from this highly contagious virus.
This article aggregates all the articles I have written about running a small private school. Use it as a handbook and a reminder of things you should look at from time to time.