Lyndon Institute Photo #2 - The Lyndon Institute 130-acre campus hosts 34 buildings, including the Main Building, Alumni Gymnasium and 650-seat Alumni Auditorium, the Elliott Memorial Library, the John L. Norris, Jr. Center for the Arts, and more!
Lyndon Institute Photo #3 - Our Location: Lyndon Institute is located in the scenic Northeast Kingdom of Vermont. With mountains, lakes, and woodlands, our region offers a number of recreational options from camping, mountain biking, skiing, hiking, and so much more! Vermont has been rated the Healthiest State in the United States for six years in a row.
- Founded in 1867, Lyndon Institute is dedicated to providing an educational experience for our students that leads to a lifetime of learning and good citizenship. We are a private, independent, and comprehensive high school for grades 9-12 offering a 150-course curriculum specializing in core and honors academics, fine and performing arts, and career sciences.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
New England Association of Schools and Colleges
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||ADD, Mild Learning Differences|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||594 students|
|Student Body Type||n/a|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 8%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||62 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||10:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||10 students|
|Number of AP Courses||17 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP English Language and Composition, AP English Literature and Composition, AP Environmental Science, AP European History, AP Macroeconomics, AP Microeconomics, AP Music Theory, AP Physics B, AP Studio Art: Design/Drawing, AP United States History,|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Admissions Director||Tiaan van der Linde|
|Total Sports Offered||19 sports|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Dance, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Mountain Biking, Nordic Skiing, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball, Winter TrackAlpine Skiing, Baseball,|
Cross Country, Dance,
Field Hockey, Football,
Golf, Ice Hockey,
Mountain Biking, Nordic Skiing,
Tennis, Track and Field,
Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball,
- Year Founded: 1867
- Number of Faculty: 62
- Student to Teacher Ratio: 10:1
- Motto: Per Aspera Ad Astra "Through Hard Work You Reach The Stars"
- College Placement: Our students are being accepted at America`s "Top 100" colleges and universities ranging from the Ivy League to excellent liberal-arts colleges to national research universities.
- Number of Courses and AP Courses: 150 Courses and 17 AP Courses
- January Term: Between the first and second semesters, for the first two weeks following the holiday vacation, students participate in an interim term to immerse themselves in either an intensive study of subjects of their choosing or an internship.
- Athletic & Extracurricular Programs: There are nearly 70 interscholastic athletic teams, extracurricular clubs, programs and activities available at Lyndon Institute. Athletic teams have worked hard to win over 25 State Championships since 2000.
- Visual and Performing Arts Courses: There are over 20 visual and performance arts courses offered at Lyndon Institute. These include Chorus, Band, Jazz Band, World Music, AP Music Theory, Acting, Theater Company, Dance Company, Digital Photography, Studio Art, Drawing, Graphic Arts, Painting, and Printmaking, among others.
- World Languages: Lyndon Institute offers a multi-level English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) program and instruction in Spanish, Latin, Greek, and French.
- Our Community: Lyndon Institute prides itself on being a positive presence and contributing member of the community. Our students participate in a number of community service projects. Several on-campus amenities are available to the public: the Bob Heath Track (for fitness walking and running); the Simpson Nature Trails (hikes and picnics); the athletic fields (for youth programs); and other facilities host performances and continuing education programs. The United Health Foundation has rated Vermont among the top healthiest states in the United States for over ten consecutive years. Vermont has also long been listed as one of the safest states in the nation.
- Nearby Recreation: Lyndon Institute is located 10 minutes from Burke Mountain, an international Alpine ski resort, and Kingdom Trails, an extensive trail network for nonmotorized, multi-use recreation activity such as mountain biking (year-round), hiking, Nordic skiing and more.
- * Advanced Placement is a registered trademark of the College Board. Used with permission.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- East Burke Grades: 8-12 | 64 students
60 Alpine Ln
East Burke, VT 05832
(802)427-8013 5.1 8-12
- Ludlow Grades: 5-12 | 46 students
53 Main St
Ludlow, VT 05149
(802)228-1513 85.7 5-12
- Putney Grades: 6-12
14 Greenwood Lane
Putney, VT 05346
(802)387-4545 104.6 6-12
We look at ways in which your small to medium-sized private school can use social media to make families past, present, and future aware of your school.
Helicopter, velcro and snowplow parents can't stand the thought of their children having difficulty with anything. Over-protective parents come in several flavors. More here.
Choosing a college is one of the rituals every family with a junior in private school needs to cope with. These five metrics will give you an overview of the process.