Thaddeus Stevens School
5.00 (6 reviews)
Thaddeus Stevens School Photo #2 - Grades three and four test velocity using the snow, the hill, and their sleds.
Thaddeus Stevens School Photo #6 - Schoolwide project: researching impact of plastic on the environment. To raise awareness that plastic is covering the planet, students locate downed tree limbs and cover them with plastic.
Thaddeus Stevens School Photo #7 - Students and teachers plant the tree in planter boxes outside the school.
- Thaddeus Stevens School, offers a rigorous integrated program to students in grades kindergarten through eighth grade.
- The School promotes academic excellence, authentic scholarship, and personal integrity.
- The School honors Thaddeus Stevens and his work by creating a culture in which students are encouraged to use their voices on behalf of themselves and others.
- Students regularly participate in civil discourse regarding their school, their community, their nation, and their world.
- Learning to develop their opinions and to present them with respect toward those who might disagree is fundamental to the students’ experience at Thaddeus Stevens School.
- To prepare students to move into the global 21st century environment, the School offers the Middlebury World Languages Initiative offering Chinese, French, German, Latin, and Spanish via an interactive online program.
- The School has formed a partnership with a school in Hamburg, Germany in order for students to engage in international discussions and has been approved by SEVIS to receive international students.
- Students attend high school at Lyndon Institute, St. Johnsbury Academy, and The White Mountain School.
- Accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC).
- Member of Vermont Independent Schools Association and First Amendment Schools Network.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-8|
|Total Students||56 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 9%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||9 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||10 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Clothing that is respectful of the learning community.)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Apr. 30|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$13,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Kim Parisi|
|Total Sports Offered||3 sports|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Snowboarding, SoccerAlpine Skiing, Snowboarding,|
- Strong academic writing program
- Vertical pre-AP teaming,created by the College Board to prepare students for AP courses in high school in areas of English, history, math, and science
- Strong school culture reflecting respect for diversity of perspective
- Fully integrated: art/art history/history/literature/politics
- Global/international studies program
- Excellent classical art program
- Music program including performance
- Outdoor leadership program
- Intensive field science conducted in the natural environment
- Annual mock trial
- Community service learning
Nearby Private Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Lyndon Center Grades: 9-12 | 594 students
168 Institute Circle
Lyndon Center, VT 05850
(802)535-3636 0.2 9-12
- Lyndonville Grades: 11-12 | 5 students
142 Cornerstone Lane
Lyndonville, VT 05851
(802)626-5620 0.7 11-12
- Lyndonville Grades: 10-12 | 19 students
216 Broad St.
Lyndonville, VT 05851
(802)626-8056 0.9 10-12
- Lyndonville Grades: PK-8 | 97 students
30 Lily Pond Road
Lyndonville, VT 05851
(802)626-8552 2.2 PK-8
- East Burke Grades: 8-12 | 64 students
60 Alpine Ln
East Burke, VT 05832
(802)427-8013 5 8-12
TSS has given me my daughter back. I can see the glimmer of light shining bright in her eyes again. We just enrolled this school year, already I see the results. My girl feels safe, confident and appreciated in her school community. These feelings enable her to fully focus on study without the distractions of feeling judged by peers. The TSS school community is modeling and encouraging all the right social skills! I look forward to watching my daughter blossom with in this wonderful family. Thank you TSS!
- Posted by Parent - Crystal
Our son just graduated from the 8th grade. It is hard to describe just how wonderful the Thaddeus Stevens School has been for him. The school helped mold him into a smart, confident child who is more than ready to tackle the challenges that high school will bring. There are many things that separate the Thaddeus Stevens School from other schools, but perhaps the biggest is the extent that the faculty cares about the student's welfare and the social dynamics in the classroom. They work hard to make sure that every child is supported and that there is no bullying. Because of this, the students have lots of respect for each other and work as a team. Most importantly, the faculty do not wait for problems to happen. They are proactive and make sure that problems are not likely to arise. The education itself is top-notch. So to summarize, the Thaddeus Stevens School gave our son a great education and great social development. It is hard to ask for anything more than that. We are so thankful to have the Thaddeus Stevens School as part of our community.
- Posted by Parent - Kyle S.
We switched into TSS last year and it's made such a difference for our whole family. My daughter's review: "They actually treat us like people." She feels respected and appreciated and it's done wonders for her interest in learning and trying new things. We also love that art is a core subject, as well as the emphasis on music, Japanese, and social and cultural awareness. Very much worth in the investment.
- Posted by Parent - Kate
TSS is an amazing school. My children love it. The faculty is outstanding to work with and have passion for what they teach. Outdoor science is a hit with all kids. Class trips to Boston, Washington DC, New York City, and Germany. I couldn't ask for a better opportunity for my kids. Parents are encouraged to participate with school activities.
- Posted by Parent - Branden
Our children love TSS. They are challenged academically. They are supported socially and emotionally. They feel like the teachers believe in them. They have grown so much and learned so much. I love the small school atmosphere. A family that encourages each other, inspires eachother, and supports eachother. Our children are able to maximize their potential as they prepare for high school and beyond.
- Posted by Parent - Colby Family
TSS is a wonderful school that provides a safe, nurturing environment with high academic standards . My daughter has truly excelled.
- Posted by Parent - aster
The Seattle area is home to many fine private schools as well as to major companies such as Microsoft, Boeing and Starbucks.
Religion is important to you. You want your children to be educated in a school where your religion matters.
The COVID-19 has turned our lives upside down. Sending your children back to school raises all sorts of concerns for their safety and education. We answer some of your questions here.