Tel: (802) 785-4805
At its core, Thetford Academy is an independent school with a public purpose.
For nearly 200 years, the Academy has served as the community school for the town of Thetford and a school of choice for neighbors in surrounding areas.
Today, students come from more than a dozen towns in Vermont and New Hampshire, and from countries around the world, to become a part of this close-knit educational community.
Every day, Thetford Academy fulfills its educational mission to celebrate the worth of all students, to nurture their strengths, and to challenge them to reach their potential.
At TA, highly qualified teachers, recognized for their innovative approach to teaching and learning, are passionate about engaging every student. And with more than 100 courses, TA`s curriculum is designed to be flexible and accessible.
The Academy embraces a diverse community of students with a wide range of learning styles.
It asks both teachers and students to experiment, stretch their boundaries, and take risks as learners. In this environment-where diversity is acknowledged, respected, and celebrated-students gain the skills they need to take advantage of life`s opportunities and the tools they need to overcome its challenges.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||New England Association of Schools and Colleges|
|Grades Offered||Grades 7-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||All areas of Special Education|
|Awards||Blue Ribbon School - Selected in n/a|
|Total Students||339 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 9%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||36 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||9:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||13 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||Biology, Calculus, Chemistry, English, French, Physics, Precalculus, Spanish|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$17,998|
|Tuition Notes||International Homestay Program - $45,000|
|Admissions Director||Wendy Cole|
|Total Sports Offered||11 sports|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Climbing, Cross Country, Nordic Skiing, Soccer, Softball, Track and Field, Weightlifting, Winter TrackAlpine Skiing, Baseball,|
Cross Country, Nordic Skiing,
Track and Field, Weightlifting,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||10 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Environmental Club, Gay/Straight Alliance (GSA), Outdoor Program, Robotics Program
Arts and Music Programs:
Choral Music, Culinary Arts, Design Technology, Drama Program, Instrumental Music, Visual Arts
- Thetford Academy is situated on nearly 300 acres of woodlands and fields, and is contiguous to the nearly 200 acre Thetford Hill State Park, which the school manages through a special agreement with the State of Vermont.
- The school boasts small classes, nurturing teachers, supportive parents, a hands-on curriculum, honors offerings in all disciplines, robust electives, a strong fine arts program, an outdoor education program, and a path to taking Dartmouth College courses while still in high school.
- An open admissions policy fosters diversity in the student population, and as a result, the student body exhibits a wide range of socio-economic backgrounds and aspirations.
- TA students benefit from the best traditions of small schools: individualized attention, respect for diversity, a strongly cooperative spirit, and multiple opportunities for leadership, activities, and service.
- Thetford Academy is a community of learners. We challenge all members of the school community to reach their highest potential. We value initiative, courage and dedication. We provide individuals with personalized support and guidance. We care about each other and about the larger community.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Sharon Grades: 7-12 | 161 students
6704 Vt Route 14 & 79 Vt Route 13
Sharon, VT 05065
(802) 763-2500 12.2 7-12
- East Burke Grades: 8-12 | 64 students
60 Alpine Ln
East Burke, VT 05832
(802) 427-8013 54.9 8-12
- Ludlow Grades: 5-12 | 46 students
53 Main St
Ludlow, VT 05149
(802) 228-1513 37.1 5-12
- Putney Grades: 6-12
14 Greenwood Lane
Putney, VT 05346
(802) 387-4545 54 6-12
Choosing a private school is a process with many parts to it. It also takes 18-24 months to complete. This collection of articles deals with the first part of the process in which you begin to look at private schools and what they offer.
Marketing the small private school can be done affordably and effectively. We suggest five easy steps to make that happen.
Solid parent-teacher relationships have always been an important part of K-12 education. During this interminable pandemic, parent-teacher relationships have become even more important.