May Center School for Autism and Developmental Disabilities-West Springfield
- The May Center School for Autism and Developmental Disabilities in West Springfield is a full-year day program serving students aged 3-22. The program specializes in the education and behavior management of children with a diagnosis of autism or other similar developmental disabilities.
- Our philosophy is that all children should be educated in the least restrictive environment and have a right to an educational program that meets their needs. We believe that as an educational provider we have a responsibility to provide services that meet the professional standard, that is, that have empirical support, that can be taught to teachers and instructors, and for which progress can be observed and documented. The goal at the May Center is to use the principles of applied behavior analysis to teach students with autism and other developmental disabilities wide range of both functional and academic skills.
- Applied behavior analysis (ABA) methodology is the application of basic behavioral principles to facilitate the development of language and other positive skills. It incorporates the use of techniques such as positive reinforcement, task analyses, shaping, prompting and fading of prompts, and practice opportunities. It includes continuous and systematic evaluation of outcomes and effectiveness. ABA practices have been endorsed by the Surgeon General, the National Institutes of Health, and the Association for Science in Autism Research and are essential for success with this population. .
|School Type||Special Education School|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Total Students||30 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 24%
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||5 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- HolyokeGrades: PK-8 | 234 students
21 Westfield Rd
Holyoke, MA 01040
- ChicopeeGrades: PK-8 | 210 students
587 Grattan Street
Chicopee, MA 01020
- SpringfieldGrades: PK-8 | 19 students
Po Box 90127
Springfield, MA 01139
Nearby Homes for Sale
October 29, 2017
A fascinating look at where our first Presidents went to school.
October 24, 2017
There are a lot of misconceptions about private schools. This is probably because private schools are indeed private.
October 24, 2017
When making an important decision that will impact the lives of your children, you need to have all the facts in place. We compiled a list of the most important factors to consider when choosing a final private school for your child.