Minnick Schools - Harrisonburg
Guiding Principles: These principles form the foundation of our organization.
They represent the best of what we aspire to in leadership, service delivery, policy, procedures, planning, work, and life.
*Abundance *Relationships *Person-Centered *Shared Ownership *Stewardship Minnick Schools, a service division of Lutheran Family Services of Virginia, are not-for-profit proprietary day schools, licensed by the Virginia Department of Education.
Minnick Schools partner closely with local school divisions and community agencies to provide academic and behavioral instruction for children ages 5 through age 22 who are not succeeding in a traditional public school setting.
Counseling services and specially designed programs round out our services, which assit students in their transition back to public school or the most appropriate setting. Minnick Schools are individually accredited by or are a member if the Virginia Association of Independent Specialized Education Facilities (VAISEF).
- School Type: Special Education School
- Grades: Kindergarten-8
- Students: 43 students
- Average class size: 8 students
- Application Deadline: None / Rolling
School Membership(s)School Assoc.
Offers Post-Graduate Year
Learning Difference Programs
Learning Programs Supported
Emotional Disabilities, Behavioral Disorders, Autism Spectrum Disorders, Intellectual Disabilities, Developmental Disabilities, Multiple Disabilities, OHI
Summer School Offered
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 29%
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
Average Class Size
Classroom Dress Code
(Khaki pants and collared shirt)
(Khaki pants and collared shirt)
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
None / Rolling
- Our schools offer a curriculum that is based on the Virginia Standards of Learning in a unique and nurturing environment. Instructional staff implement research-based, student-centered strategies that focus on teaching student to self-regulate problem behaviors and increase successful learning behaviors. *Individualized Instruction
- *Waterford Reading, Math, and Science-Waterford Institute
- *Gradpoint, a Pearson online program offering courses for students grades 6-12
- *Instruction on pragmatic social skills
- *Functional life skills program
- *Specialized classes
- *Counseling services
- *Transition services
- *Community-Based Instruction
- *Community-Supported Employment
- *Job Coaching
- *Extended School Year Program
- *School wide positive behavior support
- *Board-Certified Behavior Analyst
Endorse Minnick Schools - Harrisonburg. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
Identifying Your School's Brand
Creating a brand identity for your school is an essential part of your marketing strategy. We walk you through the process.
7 Reasons Why Private School May Be The Right Choice
Private schools come in a wide variety of educational approaches. We show you how to refine your school search.
June 01, 2021What A Teacher Does
A teacher wears many hats. Here's a look at her duties and responsibilities.