- Our mission: Eastern Mennonite School joins home and church in calling students to faith in Jesus Christ, academic excellence, personal integrity, and compassionate service in the world.
- Our educational philosophy: EMS has served Harrisonburg and the surrounding counties for over 95 years, combining an academically challenging curriculum with a strong commitment to Christian discipleship, peace and justice issues, service, and a global outlook.The K-12 curriculum is designed to foster reading, research, writing and presentation skills that grow student curiosity, creative and insightful thinking, organizational strategies and a moral social conscience.
- A strong college preparatory track includes honors, Advanced Placement, and other advanced courses.
- Regular activities are also designed to help students grow spiritually as well as intellectually.
- In study, worship, and play, students are challenged to integrate faith with life -- to learn and apply Biblical standards to life's decisions. A participatory-based co-curricular program at the elementary level encourages exploration of athletics and other interests.
- Secondary students further refine skills and confidence in performance through a music program, including a choir which tours internationally, drama and musical theater, service opportunities, a wide variety of clubs, and competitive athletics.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
Southern Association Of Colleges And Schools (SACS)
Virginia Association of Independent Schools (VAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-12|
|Total Students||395 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 26%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||48 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Number of AP Courses||5 courses|
|Advanced Courses||Calculus, English Literature, Molecular Biology, Statistics, World History|
|Average SAT score||1220|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Financial aid available|
|Admissions Director||Kate Bergey|
|Total Sports Offered||9 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Golf, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Track and Field, VolleyballBaseball, Basketball,
Cross Country, Golf,
Tennis, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||3 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Over 25 Student Clubs, Senior Choir, Junior Choir, Touring Choir, Chamber Choir, Musical, Drama, Art Show, Student Council Organization, Math Counts, TSA, Math League Over 25 Student Clubs,
Senior Choir, Junior Choir, Touring Choir, Chamber Choir, Musical, Drama, Art Show,
Student Council Organization, Math Counts, TSA, Math League,
- Eastern Mennonite School is a K-12 private school that is: Academically challenging – Our intentionally designed curriculum and instruction is based on understandings from brain-research and modified to meet the educational needs of every enrolled student. Four diploma options are available to ensure student success at every level. Christ centered – We are respectful of one another’s church traditions while nurturing Christian ethics as best practices for humanity as based on the example and teachings of Jesus. Community committed – Faculty, staff and parents work together to provide a safe place of acceptance, belonging and care for each student and one another. Students have the opportunity to engage in 19 interscholastic sports, over 30 co-curricular club offerings and a wide variety of fine and performing arts options. Peace builders – Together, we actively seeking to build positive relationships between all peoples through creative, respectful and nonviolent means. Globally-minded – Through curricular, experiential and travel opportunities, we grow student awareness in the complexities of the world, heighten sensitivity to the needs of the less fortunate, and express appreciation for the multitude of blessings we experience in the United States. Service engaged – Based on Jesus’ teaching toward others, we encourage student volunteerism, sharing of talent, and giving of resources within local, national and world communities.
Profile last updated: 05/28/2015
- School Location Miles Grades Students
RichmondGrades: NS-12 | 1005 students
711 Saint Christophers Road
Richmond, VA 23226
11600 Gayton Rd
Richmond, VA 23238
EdinburgGrades: PK-12 | 184 students
408 Stoney Creek Rd
Edinburg, VA 22824
HarrisonburgGrades: NS-K | 60 students
1301 Virginia Avenue
Harrisonburg, VA 22802