- Minnick Schools, a service division of Lutheran Family Services of Virginia, are not-for-profit proprietary day schools, licensed by the Virginia Department of Education.
- Minnick Schools partner closely with local school divisions and community agencies to provide academic and behavioral instruction for children ages 5 through age 22 who are not succeeding in a traditional public school setting.
- Counseling services and specially designed programs round out our services, which assist students in their transition back to public school or the most appropriate setting.
- Minnick Schools are individually accredited by or are a member if the Virginia Association of Independent Specialized Education Facilities (VAISEF).
- Guiding Principles:These principles form the foundation of our organization.They represent the best of what we aspire to in leadership, service delivery, policy, procedures, planning, work, and life. *Abundance *Relationships *Person-Centered *Shared Ownership *Stewardship.
|School Type||Special Education School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Other school association(s)|
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Emotional Disabilities, Behavioral Disorders, Autism Spectrum Disorders, Intellectual Disabilities, Developmental Disabilities, Multiple Disabilities, OHI|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||60 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||10 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||8 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(Khaki pants and collared shirt)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
- Our schools offer a curriculum that is based on the Virginia Standards of Learning in a unique and nurturing environment. Instructional staff implement research-based, student-centered strategies that focus on teaching student to self-regulate problem behaviors and increase successful learning behaviors. Individualized Instruction
- Waterford Reading, Math, and Science-Waterford Institute
- Gradpoint, a Pearson online program offering courses for students grades 6-12
- Instruction on pragmatic social skills
- Functional life skills program
- Specialized classes
- Counseling services
- Transition services
- Community-Based Instruction
- Community-Supported Employment
- Job Coaching
- Extended School Year Program
- School wide positive behavior support
- Board-Certified Behavior Analyst
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- RoanokeGrades: PK-12 | 123 students
7422 Deer Branch Rd
Roanoke, VA 24019
- RoanokeGrades: PK-8 | 31 students
312 Whitwell Dr
Roanoke, VA 24019
May 10, 2018
Sending your child to a single-sex school is one of several options you have when it comes to private schools.
May 10, 2018
Sending your children to a summer program or camp keeps them active in fun-filled settings. We explore your options.
April 19, 2018
We take a detailed look at the three popular early childhood methods to help you determine which one best suits your needs and requirements.