- Minnick Schools, a service division of Lutheran Family Services of Virginia, are not-for-profit proprietary day schools, licensed by the Virginia Department of Education.
- Minnick Schools partner closely with local school divisions and community agencies to provide academic and behavioral instruction for children ages 5 through age 22 who are not succeeding in a traditional public school setting.
- Counseling services and specially designed programs round out our services, which assist students in their transition back to public school or the most appropriate setting.
- Minnick Schools are individually accredited by or are a member if the Virginia Association of Independent Specialized Education Facilities (VAISEF).
- Guiding Principles:These principles form the foundation of our organization.They represent the best of what we aspire to in leadership, service delivery, policy, procedures, planning, work, and life. *Abundance *Relationships *Person-Centered *Shared Ownership *Stewardship.
|School Type||Special Education School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Other school association(s)|
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Emotional Disabilities, Behavioral Disorders, Autism Spectrum Disorders, Intellectual Disabilities, Developmental Disabilities, Multiple Disabilities, OHI|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||60 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 24%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||10 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||8 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(Khaki pants and collared shirt)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
- Our schools offer a curriculum that is based on the Virginia Standards of Learning in a unique and nurturing environment. Instructional staff implement research-based, student-centered strategies that focus on teaching student to self-regulate problem behaviors and increase successful learning behaviors. Individualized Instruction
- Waterford Reading, Math, and Science-Waterford Institute
- Gradpoint, a Pearson online program offering courses for students grades 6-12
- Instruction on pragmatic social skills
- Functional life skills program
- Specialized classes
- Counseling services
- Transition services
- Community-Based Instruction
- Community-Supported Employment
- Job Coaching
- Extended School Year Program
- School wide positive behavior support
- Board-Certified Behavior Analyst
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Roanoke Grades: PK-8 | 31 students
312 Whitwell Dr
Roanoke, VA 24019
(540)366-7399 0.4 PK-8
- Roanoke Grades: PK-5 | 173 students
7422 Deer Branch Rd
Roanoke, VA 24019
(540)563-5140 0.7 PK-5
A long summer break offers plenty of time for a wide range of activities for every age group. Here are some of the options available.
Educating a gifted child can be daunting as there is no clear roadmap for your child's education. Some thoughts and suggestions here.
Signs that your school might be failing don't suddenly appear all at once like a flashing neon sign. Instead, they appear gradually over weeks, months, and years. We explore the warning signs and offer some suggestions to mitigate them.