Montclair Cooperative School
5.00 (1 review)
- Montclair Cooperative School is an independent, non-profit, co-educational school committed to experiential learning located in Montclair, New Jersey.
- The school enrolls approximately 175 children from nursery through eighth grade.
- Founded in 1963, it is one of a handful of cooperative schools nationwide.
- Each year we graduate poised, articulate, empathetic, creative, and intellectually flexible young adults who enter the finest private and public secondary schools in the area, the strongest evidence for the positive impact of our program.
|School Type||Alternative School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||New Jersey Association of Independent Schools|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Total Students||204 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 29%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||16 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||13:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||18 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$19,000|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition is charged according to grade level.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Jackie Yarmo|
- The Montclair Cooperative School is a community of learners (Nursery through 8th Grade) in which children are invited to take risks, question, explore, discuss, interpret, and create. They discover ways to apply learning effectively in solving problems and constructing new knowledge. We value diversity and understand that the world is composed of different people, cultures, and ideas. We arecooperative in that everyone - teachers, students, and parents - participates in the educational process. We are progressive in that children learn by building on multi-disciplinary themes and experiences. The Montclair Cooperative School is a community of students, teachers, and parents who are dedicated to creating a nurturing environment where children flourish intellectually and where they develop exceptional social skills along with a deep sense of community responsibility.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Montclair Grades: PK-12 | 1054 students
201 Valley Road
Montclair, NJ 07042
(973)746-9800 0.5 PK-12
- Short Hills Grades: NS-8 | 223 students
52 Great Hills Road
Short Hills, NJ 07078
(973)379-3442 7.5 NS-8
- Bloomfield Grades: NS-8 | 272 students
50 Byrd Ave
Bloomfield, NJ 07003
(973)338-8505 1.9 NS-8
- Livingston Grades: PK-8 | 277 students
388 South Livingston Avenue
Livingston, NJ 07039
(973)992-1587 6.2 PK-8
At the Coop, the children get a lot of individualized attention and the community is small and warm. The curriculum is thematic and project-based; very creative and focused on values like community and caring for the earth. My kid just loves going to school every day! She learned to write in PreK and read in K because she's so motivated by the fun teachers and involved projects. They do dramatic play, keep journals, build with blocks, garden, paint, and papier-mache.
- Posted by Parent - BM from Rutherford NJ
The Seattle area is home to many fine private schools as well as to major companies such as Microsoft, Boeing and Starbucks.
Religion is important to you. You want your children to be educated in a school where your religion matters.
The COVID-19 has turned our lives upside down. Sending your children back to school raises all sorts of concerns for their safety and education. We answer some of your questions here.