Montclair Cooperative School
5.00 (1 review)
Tel: (973) 783-4955
- Montclair Cooperative School is an independent, non-profit, co-educational school committed to experiential learning located in Montclair, New Jersey.
- The school enrolls approximately 175 children from nursery through eighth grade.
- Founded in 1963, it is one of a handful of cooperative schools nationwide.
- Each year we graduate poised, articulate, empathetic, creative, and intellectually flexible young adults who enter the finest private and public secondary schools in the area, the strongest evidence for the positive impact of our program.
Montclair Cooperative School places among the top 20% of private schools in New Jersey for:
- Category Attribute
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
|School Type||Alternative School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||New Jersey Association of Independent Schools|
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-8|
|Total Students||204 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 29%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||16 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||13:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||18 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$19,000|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition is charged according to grade level.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Ana Younghusband|
- The Montclair Cooperative School is a community of learners (Nursery through 8th Grade) in which children are invited to take risks, question, explore, discuss, interpret, and create. They discover ways to apply learning effectively in solving problems and constructing new knowledge. We value diversity and understand that the world is composed of different people, cultures, and ideas. We arecooperative in that everyone - teachers, students, and parents - participates in the educational process. We are progressive in that children learn by building on multi-disciplinary themes and experiences. The Montclair Cooperative School is a community of students, teachers, and parents who are dedicated to creating a nurturing environment where children flourish intellectually and where they develop exceptional social skills along with a deep sense of community responsibility.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Montclair Grades: PK-12 | 1054 students
201 Valley Road
Montclair, NJ 07042
(973) 746-9800 0.5 PK-12
- Bloomfield Grades: NS-8 | 272 students
50 Byrd Ave
Bloomfield, NJ 07003
(973) 338-8505 1.9 NS-8
- Livingston Grades: PK-8 | 277 students
388 South Livingston Avenue
Livingston, NJ 07039
(973) 992-1587 6.2 PK-8
At the Coop, the children get a lot of individualized attention and the community is small and warm. The curriculum is thematic and project-based; very creative and focused on values like community and caring for the earth. My kid just loves going to school every day! She learned to write in PreK and read in K because she's so motivated by the fun teachers and involved projects. They do dramatic play, keep journals, build with blocks, garden, paint, and papier-mache.
- Posted by Parent - BM from Rutherford NJ
As the COVID-19 virus spreads throughout the United States, we look at steps schools and parents can take to protect themselves from this highly contagious virus.
Our children's education is a critical concern. That's why we elected to send our kids to private school in the first place. However, this COVID-19 virus is controlling everything. And it will continue to do so indefinitely until we have vaccines to protect us. With that in mind, here are five things you need to do when you are a parent with children in private school during this horrific pandemic.
Now that school has safely reopened, what can we parents do to support and encourage the schools we care about so much?