Montclair Cooperative School
Montclair Cooperative School is an independent, non-profit, co-educational school committed to experiential learning located in Montclair, New Jersey.
The school enrolls approximately 175 children from nursery through eighth grade.
Founded in 1963, it is one of a handful of cooperative schools nationwide.
Each year we graduate poised, articulate, empathetic, creative, and intellectually flexible young adults who enter the finest private and public secondary schools in the area, the strongest evidence for the positive impact of our program.
- School Type: Alternative School
- Grades: Nursery/Preschool-8
- Students: 204 students
- Yearly Tuition: $19,000
- Average class size: 18 students
- Application Deadline: None / Rolling
School Membership(s)School Assoc.
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 39%
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
% Faculty w/Advanced Degree
Average Class Size
Classroom Dress Code
Finances and Admission
None / Rolling
Yearly Tuition Cost
Tuition is charged according to grade level.
% on Financial Aid
- The Montclair Cooperative School is a community of learners (Nursery through 8th Grade) in which children are invited to take risks, question, explore, discuss, interpret, and create. They discover ways to apply learning effectively in solving problems and constructing new knowledge. We value diversity and understand that the world is composed of different people, cultures, and ideas. We arecooperative in that everyone - teachers, students, and parents - participates in the educational process. We are progressive in that children learn by building on multi-disciplinary themes and experiences. The Montclair Cooperative School is a community of students, teachers, and parents who are dedicated to creating a nurturing environment where children flourish intellectually and where they develop exceptional social skills along with a deep sense of community responsibility.
At the Coop, the children get a lot of individualized attention and the community is small and warm. The curriculum is thematic and project-based; very creative and focused on values like community and caring for the earth. My kid just loves going to school every day! She learned to write in PreK and read in K because she's so motivated by the fun teachers and involved projects. They do dramatic play, keep journals, build with blocks, garden, paint, and papier-mache.
Endorse Montclair Cooperative School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
What A Teacher Does
A teacher wears many hats. Here's a look at her duties and responsibilities.
How Diverse Are Private Schools?
Decades ago private schools could have been accused of being elitist. You had to have money to attend. The student populations were fairly homogeneous. Fortunately that has changed.
Private School Job Searching 101
Here is a guide for teachers and administrators seeking employment in private schools. Think of it as a roadmap for the job search process.