Physical development and performance are key to leadership. At NMMI every cadet is required to participate in an organized, 21st century physical fitness program supported by a faculty dedicated to helping cadets achieve excellence.
Academic excellence is first and foremost at NMMI supported by outstanding facilities and 21st century equipment.
The NMMI Ski Club is an example of our over 35 clubs and organizations that help to 'round out' the NMMI experience!
The Corps of Cadets gets 'ready to rumble' for every sports event at the Institute, supporting their fellow cadets as they uphold the honor of the Institute on the field.
All cadets live 'on campus' at NMMI...typically, two to a room. Girls on the top floor and guys on the bottom two floors (supervised...no exceptions!).
At the end of each day each cadet is expected to have lived the Institute credo: Duty, Honor, Achievement.
- Founded in 1891, NMMI is the nation's only fully integrated co-educational 4 year high school and junior college military boarding school.
- For over 120 years Academic Excellence has been at the core of our existence.
- An embedded US Service Academcy Preparatory Program continues to produce outstanding nominees to all 5 US Service Academies.
|School Type||Military School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Association of Military Colleges and Schools
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Total Students||500 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 49%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||65 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||14 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Average ACT score||23|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Mar. 1 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$13,629|
|Tuition Notes||$13,629.00 in-state and $19,463.00 out of state INCLUDES: tuition, fees, board, room, insurance, and uniforms first year cost.|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$3,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||LTC Kalith Smith|
|Admissions Associate||MAJ Jasmine Small|
|Total Sports Offered||15 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Cycling, Diving, Drill Team, Fencing, Football, Golf, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, VolleyballBaseball, Basketball,
Cheering, Cross Country,
Drill Team, Fencing,
Tennis, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||40 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||African American Student Alliance, Astronomy Club, Athletic Trainer Squad, Bataan Memorial March - SROTC, Big Brother/Big Sister, Bronco Yearbook, CLOSE UP, Centennial Flame Guard, Choir, Chorale, Choir, Chorus, Color Guard, Constabulary, Drama Troupe, Etiquette Committee, Fencing, First Tee Program of the PGA, Goss Rifle Team, HAM Radio Club, High & Low Ropes Course, Jazz Band, Leadership Education & Development Club (ROPES Course Facilitators), Math & Science Club, Mc Bride Rifle Team (Air Rifle), Mexican Club, National Honor Society, Pacific Islander Club, Paintball, Peer Tutoring, Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society, Photo Squad, Regimental Band, SPIRIT Club, Shakespeare Festival, Ski Club, Speech & Debate, Swimming Club, USAFA Falcon Club, Weightlifting Club, Yoga Club Astronomy Club, CLOSE UP, Choir, Chorale, Choir, Chorus, Color Guard, Constabulary, Drama Troupe, Fencing, HAM Radio Club, Jazz Band, Mexican Club, Paintball, Peer Tutoring, Photo Squad, SPIRIT Club, Ski Club, Swimming Club, Yoga Club, African American Student Alliance,
Athletic Trainer Squad,
Bataan Memorial March - SROTC,
Big Brother/Big Sister,
Centennial Flame Guard,
First Tee Program of the PGA,
Goss Rifle Team,
High & Low Ropes Course,
Leadership Education & Development Club (ROPES Course Facilitators),
Math & Science Club,
Mc Bride Rifle Team (Air Rifle),
National Honor Society,
Pacific Islander Club,
Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society,
Speech & Debate,
USAFA Falcon Club,
- NMMI is a demanding, challenging nationally accredited college preparatory education.
- NMMI has a superior faculty and small class size that enables individual attention.
- NMMI is a "Leadership lab" for character and ethical development.
- NMMI is the largest, most successful US Service Academy Preparatory Program in the nation service all 5 US Service Academies.
- NMMI is the largest, most successful US Army 2-Year Army ROTC Early commissioning Program in the nation.
- NMMI has the nation's only "Fitness Factory" for comprehensive Physical Development.
- NMMI's Mission is to produce leaders capable of critical thinking and sound analysis, to produce leaders who possess uncompromising character, and to produce leaders able to meet challenging physical demands.
- NMMI is a safe campus. In AY 2006-2007, our latest Federal Crime Reporting reporting period, we had only 10 minor incidents.
- NMMI graduating seniors composite ACT scores are always higher than New Mexico and National scores, and this is true for AY 2006-2007
- NMMI Junior College Assessment of Academic Proficiency (CAAP) scores consistently exceed national scores in Reading and Mathematics.
- The Corps of Cadets is the heart of NMMI, a "Leadership Lab" where cadets hone leadership skills and build uncompromising character through training, experience, and education. The Corps administers a strict Honor Code, is the center of life skills acquisition, and performs community service -- over 8000 hours in AY 2006-2007.
- The Cadet Honor Code is the foundation of the NMMI Experience. "A cadet will not lie, cheat, or steal, nor tolerate those who do." Since its unanimous adoption in 1921, the Code and Cadet Honor System have been maintained and administered by the Corps of Cadets.
- The Corps of Cadets Physical Development Program has demonstrated and documented results in improving cadet physical performance. Faculty and staff, infrastructure, and 21st Century Programs are integral to the continued success of the effort, required of all cadets.
- NMMI fields interscholastic and intercollegiate teams for men and women throughout the school year. At the collegiate level, Athletic Grants in Aid are available for qualified applicants.
- Diversity: NMMI is a culturally diverse campus with cadets from 14 foreign countries, 42 states and the District of Columbia, and 22 New Mexico counties. 53% of the 2007 Corps of Cadets are from culturally diverse populations.
- Service Academy Preparatory Program: NMMI is the ONLY accredited post-secondary institution in the nation to provide a US Service Academy Preparatory Program for sponsored cadets of the 5 federal academies. In AY 2006-2007, 64 sponsored cadets were appointed to the academies; one high school cadet and 7 self-preps were also appointed.
- Reserve Officers Training Corps: NMMI's Senior ROTC Program has been consistently recognized for excellence. In AY 2005-2006, the Us Army Cadet Command recognized the program as one of the top 15% in the nation, of 272 such programs. NMMI commissioned 43 2nd LTs in AYs 2005-2006 and 2006-2007, the largest production of officers of the 5 military junior colleges in the US that conduct the US Army Early Commissioning Progra.
- Finalcial Aid and Scholarships: Financial Aid and Scholarships are available to cadets in need. In AY 2006-2007 approximately 75% of the Corps of Cadets at the high school and college level received aid of some type.
- Information Services: NMMI is a 21st Century Campus where cadets, faculty and staff use information services daily. State-of-the-art hardware and software, Internet, Cable TV, cellular and other telephone systems are integral components of a safe and secure networked campus.
Profile last updated: 01/22/2016
Nearby Private Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
RoswellGrades: PK-12 | 289 students
Po Box 1642
Roswell, NM 88202
RoswellGrades: PK-8 | 70 students
2700 N Kentucky Ave
Roswell, NM 88201
RoswellGrades: KG-12 | 14 students
602 S Mississippi Ave
Roswell, NM 88203
RoswellGrades: 2-6 | 8 students
700 E Berrendo Road
Roswell, NM 88201
RoswellGrades: PK-12 | 180 students
2803 W 4th St
Roswell, NM 88201
April 25, 2017
What are the attributes which make 21st century military schools so special? We find out in this article.
April 25, 2017
If you are looking for a college preparatory education with a military emphasis, then take a look at military schools.
April 25, 2017
School uniforms are largely found at religious, parochial and military schools. Dress codes have replaced uniforms at most schools.