New Mexico Military Institute
New Mexico Military Institute Photo #2 - Physical development and performance are key to leadership. At NMMI every cadet is required to participate in an organized, 21st century physical fitness program supported by a faculty dedicated to helping cadets achieve excellence.
New Mexico Military Institute Photo #3 - Academic excellence is first and foremost at NMMI supported by outstanding facilities and 21st century equipment.
New Mexico Military Institute Photo #4 - The NMMI Ski Club is an example of our over 35 clubs and organizations that help to "round out" the NMMI experience!
New Mexico Military Institute Photo #5 - The Corps of Cadets gets "ready to rumble" for every sports event at the Institute, supporting their fellow cadets as they uphold the honor of the Institute on the field.
New Mexico Military Institute Photo #6 - All cadets live "on campus" at NMMI...typically, two to a room. Girls on the top floor and guys on the bottom two floors (supervised...no exceptions!).
New Mexico Military Institute Photo #7 - At the end of each day each cadet is expected to have lived the Institute credo: Duty, Honor, Achievement.
Founded in 1891, NMMI is the nation's only fully integrated co-educational 4 year high school and junior college military boarding school.
For over 120 years Academic Excellence has been at the core of our existence.
An embedded US Service Academcy Preparatory Program continues to produce outstanding nominees to all 5 US Service Academies.
New Mexico Military Institute places among the top 20% of private schools in New Mexico for:
Offers Post-Graduate Year
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 51%
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
% Faculty w/Advanced Degree
Average Class Size
List of Courses Offered
Average ACT score
Matriculation DataMatric. Data
Classroom Dress Code
Finances and Admission
Mar. 1 / rolling
Yearly Tuition Cost
$13,629.00 in-state and $19,463.00 out of state INCLUDES: tuition, fees, board, room, insurance, and uniforms first year cost.
% on Financial Aid
Average Financial Aid Grant
National avg.: 85%
LTC Kalith Smith
MAJ Jasmine Small
Total Sports Offered
Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.
African American Student Alliance, Astronomy Club, Athletic Trainer Squad, Bataan Memorial March - SROTC, Big Brother/Big Sister, Bronco Yearbook, Centennial Flame Guard, Choir, Chorale, Chorus, CLOSE UP, Color Guard, Constabulary, Drama Troupe, Etiquette Committee, Fencing, First Tee Program of the PGA, Goss Rifle Team, HAM Radio Club, High & Low Ropes Course, Jazz Band, Leadership Education & Development Club (ROPES Course Facilitators), Math & Science Club, Mc Bride Rifle Team (Air Rifle), Mexican Club, National Honor Society, Pacific Islander Club, Paintball, Peer Tutoring, Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society, Photo Squad, Regimental Band, Shakespeare Festival, Ski Club, Speech & Debate, SPIRIT Club, Swimming Club, USAFA Falcon Club, Weightlifting Club, Yoga Club
- NMMI is a demanding, challenging nationally accredited college preparatory education.
- NMMI has a superior faculty and small class size that enables individual attention.
- NMMI is a "Leadership lab" for character and ethical development.
- NMMI is the largest, most successful US Service Academy Preparatory Program in the nation service all 5 US Service Academies.
- NMMI is the largest, most successful US Army 2-Year Army ROTC Early commissioning Program in the nation.
- NMMI has the nation's only "Fitness Factory" for comprehensive Physical Development.
- NMMI's Mission is to produce leaders capable of critical thinking and sound analysis, to produce leaders who possess uncompromising character, and to produce leaders able to meet challenging physical demands.
- NMMI is a safe campus. In AY 2006-2007, our latest Federal Crime Reporting reporting period, we had only 10 minor incidents.
- NMMI graduating seniors composite ACT scores are always higher than New Mexico and National scores, and this is true for AY 2006-2007
- NMMI Junior College Assessment of Academic Proficiency (CAAP) scores consistently exceed national scores in Reading and Mathematics.
- The Corps of Cadets is the heart of NMMI, a "Leadership Lab" where cadets hone leadership skills and build uncompromising character through training, experience, and education. The Corps administers a strict Honor Code, is the center of life skills acquisition, and performs community service -- over 8000 hours in AY 2006-2007.
- The Cadet Honor Code is the foundation of the NMMI Experience. "A cadet will not lie, cheat, or steal, nor tolerate those who do." Since its unanimous adoption in 1921, the Code and Cadet Honor System have been maintained and administered by the Corps of Cadets.
- The Corps of Cadets Physical Development Program has demonstrated and documented results in improving cadet physical performance. Faculty and staff, infrastructure, and 21st Century Programs are integral to the continued success of the effort, required of all cadets.
- NMMI fields interscholastic and intercollegiate teams for men and women throughout the school year. At the collegiate level, Athletic Grants in Aid are available for qualified applicants.
- Diversity: NMMI is a culturally diverse campus with cadets from 14 foreign countries, 42 states and the District of Columbia, and 22 New Mexico counties. 53% of the 2007 Corps of Cadets are from culturally diverse populations.
- Service Academy Preparatory Program: NMMI is the ONLY accredited post-secondary institution in the nation to provide a US Service Academy Preparatory Program for sponsored cadets of the 5 federal academies. In AY 2006-2007, 64 sponsored cadets were appointed to the academies; one high school cadet and 7 self-preps were also appointed.
- Reserve Officers Training Corps: NMMI's Senior ROTC Program has been consistently recognized for excellence. In AY 2005-2006, the Us Army Cadet Command recognized the program as one of the top 15% in the nation, of 272 such programs. NMMI commissioned 43 2nd LTs in AYs 2005-2006 and 2006-2007, the largest production of officers of the 5 military junior colleges in the US that conduct the US Army Early Commissioning Progra.
- Finalcial Aid and Scholarships: Financial Aid and Scholarships are available to cadets in need. In AY 2006-2007 approximately 75% of the Corps of Cadets at the high school and college level received aid of some type.
- Information Services: NMMI is a 21st Century Campus where cadets, faculty and staff use information services daily. State-of-the-art hardware and software, Internet, Cable TV, cellular and other telephone systems are integral components of a safe and secure networked campus.
Endorse New Mexico Military Institute. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
What A Teacher Does
A teacher wears many hats. Here's a look at her duties and responsibilities.
How Diverse Are Private Schools?
Decades ago private schools could have been accused of being elitist. You had to have money to attend. The student populations were fairly homogeneous. Fortunately that has changed.
Private School Job Searching 101
Here is a guide for teachers and administrators seeking employment in private schools. Think of it as a roadmap for the job search process.