New Road School Of Somerset
- School Type: Special Education School
- Grades: 7-12
- Students: 116 students
- Average class size: 10 students
- Application Deadline: None / Rolling
School Membership(s)School Assoc.
Offers Post-Graduate Year
Learning Difference Programs
Learning Programs Supported
Learning Disabilities, Other Health Impaired, Multiple Disabilities, Cognitive Impairments, Emotional Disabilities
Summer School Offered
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 39%
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
Average Class Size
Classroom Dress Code
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
None / Rolling
- The New Road School of Somerset first opened its doors in 1989 in a modest schoolhouse on Cortelyou Lane with an enrollment of 60 students. Today, we're a vibrant, thriving specialized private education facility serving approximately 180 special needs students aged 12 to 21, from grade 7 through post-high school graduation. As New Road Schools of New Jersey's flagship school, we're now housed in a sprawling 54,000-square-foot building that provides the ideal setting for our unique brand of academic instruction and a time-proven, truly effective educational model. This model is primarily based on two founding philosophies: Learning by Doing and the Micro-Community Concept. Here at New Road, we believe that students facing learning, language, and social challenges are best served by interactive, hands-on approaches to education. Our positive learning environment therefore features small class sizes, one-on-one instruction, and structured behavior management systems enhanced by positive reinforcement techniques. To best equip our students with the tools they need to succeed in the classroom, at home, and in the community, we offer life skills training, career preparation, and social development programs in addition to our core academic curriculum. At the New Road School of Somerset, we design our programs to focus on the specific learning strengths and needs of each student. Because we individualize our programs, we're able to meet the student at his or her own performance level, and the student advances at his or her own pace. In the process, self-esteem grows and self-motivation blossoms. For over two decades now, the New Road School of Somerset has been successfully carrying out the New Road guiding principle for countless young adults: Building Confidence and Competence through Personalized Academic Interventions and Career Preparation.
Endorse New Road School Of Somerset. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
With so much uncertainty in the world today and a pandemic further confounding our lives, it's reasonable for parents to want to protect their children whenever and wherever possible? But overprotecting or bubble-wrapping? Well, that's another matter.
Get Your Act Together!
We take a look at the other college admissions test and offer some resources for test preparation.
Why Small Class Sizes Work
You want your child to receive plenty of individual attention. That's one of the reasons most parents send their children to private school.