The Midland School is a comprehensive special education program serving the individual social, emotional, academic, and career education needs of children with developmental disabilities.
Its mission is to provide quality programs to enable students to reach their highest level of achievement and independence allowing them to become contributing members of their communities.
Quick Stats (2023)
- School Type: Special Education School
- Grades: Prekindergarten-Kindergarten
- Enrollment: 94 students
- Average class size: 7 students
- Application Deadline: None / Rolling
- Source: Verified school update
School Membership(s)School Assoc.
Learning Difference Programs
Summer School Offered
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 39%
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
Average Class Size
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
None / Rolling
Barbara Barkan, Principal
- The Midland School is a New Jersey approved private nonprofit special education school for children and young adults with developmental disabilities located on 57 picturesque acres in North Branch, Somerset County, NJ.
- For over fifty years, Midland has provided quality programs and activities to enable our students, age 5-21, to reach their highest level of achievement and independence, and to become contributing members of their communities.
- Midland's programs are developed for the individual student. Instruction is dynamic-changing to meet each student's needs considering their learning styles and developmental levels.
- Midland's staff (all fully certified) uses multi-sensory, research-based strategies to address all core curriculum areas. Assistive technology and field trips make learning motivating and accessible for all students.
- Midland's curriculum extends beyond the core areas. A comprehensive social skills program and weekly instruction in a variety of adapted living skills prepare our students for success in the community.
- Midland's Speech, Physical and Occupational therapists work with teaching staff to identify each students needs in these areas.
- Midland develops life long work skills and career development program is part of every student's schedule.
- Midland's students are most successful when school and home work together. Midland has an active parents' association and family recreational activities all contribute to the important relatoinship between home and school.
Source: Verified school update
Frequently Asked Questions
When is the application deadline for The Midland School?
The application deadline for The Midland School is rolling (applications are reviewed as they are received year-round).
Endorse The Midland School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
Nearby Homes for Sale
Exploring Educational Savings Accounts: A Guide for Parents
This comprehensive article explores the different educational savings accounts available to parents for private K-12 education and tertiary education. It provides detailed explanations of each account, including the 529 College Savings Plan, Coverdell Education Savings Accounts, and Custodial Accounts. The article cites applicable legal authorities and emphasizes the importance of informed decision-making by consulting with legal and financial professionals.
Montessori Schools: An Overview
Are you curious about an educational approach that nurtures independent, creative, and lifelong learners? Look no further! We invite you to dive into the fascinating world of Montessori education and unlock its incredible potential for your children.
Securing Your School
With the rise of school shootings and other violent incidents, it is essential to have a comprehensive plan in place to protect everyone on your school campus.