The Midland School
- The Midland School is a comprehensive special education program serving the individual social, emotional, academic, and career education needs of children with developmental disabilities.
- Its mission is to provide quality programs to enable students to reach their highest level of achievement and independence allowing them to become contributing members of their communities.
|School Type||Special Education School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Council for Exceptional Children|
National Association of Private Special Education Centers
ASAH Private Special Education
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Total Students||150 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 30%
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||24 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||7 students|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Admissions Director||Shawn McInerney|
|Admissions Associate||Barbara Barkan, Principal|
- The Midland School is a New Jersey approved private nonprofit special education school for children and young adults with developmental disabilities located on 57 picturesque acres in North Branch, Somerset County, NJ.
- For over fifty years, Midland has provided quality programs and activities to enable our students, age 5-21, to reach their highest level of achievement and independence, and to become contributing members of their communities.
- Midland's programs are developed for the individual student. Instruction is dynamic-changing to meet each student's needs considering their learning styles and developmental levels.
- Midland's staff (all fully certified) uses multi-sensory, research-based strategies to address all core curriculum areas. Assistive technology and field trips make learning motivating and accessible for all students.
- Midland's curriculum extends beyond the core areas. A comprehensive social skills program and weekly instruction in a variety of adapted living skills prepare our students for success in the community.
- Midland's Speech, Physical and Occupational therapists work with teaching staff to identify each students needs in these areas.
- Midland develops life long work skills and career development program is part of every student's schedule.
- Midland's students are most successful when school and home work together. Midland has an active parents' association and family recreational activities all contribute to the important relatoinship between home and school.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Basking RidgeGrades: K-12 | 1129 students
131 Martinsville Road
Basking Ridge, NJ 07920
- Bound BrookGrades: 7-12 | 34 students
Po Box 947
Bound Brook, NJ 08805
- MountainsideGrades: K-8 | 50 students
1137 Globe Ave
Mountainside, NJ 07092
- SomervilleGrades: 9-12 | 769 students
240 Mountain Ave
Somerville, NJ 08876
- EdisonGrades: UG | 157 students
10 Oak Dr
Edison, NJ 08837