The Midland School
Tel: (908) 722-8222
The Midland School is a comprehensive special education program serving the individual social, emotional, academic, and career education needs of children with developmental disabilities.
Its mission is to provide quality programs to enable students to reach their highest level of achievement and independence allowing them to become contributing members of their communities.
|School Type||Special Education School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Private Special Education Centers|
ASAH Private Special Education
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||93 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 29%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||18 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||7 students|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Admissions Director||Shawn McInerney|
|Admissions Associate||Barbara Barkan, Principal|
- The Midland School is a New Jersey approved private nonprofit special education school for children and young adults with developmental disabilities located on 57 picturesque acres in North Branch, Somerset County, NJ.
- For over fifty years, Midland has provided quality programs and activities to enable our students, age 5-21, to reach their highest level of achievement and independence, and to become contributing members of their communities.
- Midland's programs are developed for the individual student. Instruction is dynamic-changing to meet each student's needs considering their learning styles and developmental levels.
- Midland's staff (all fully certified) uses multi-sensory, research-based strategies to address all core curriculum areas. Assistive technology and field trips make learning motivating and accessible for all students.
- Midland's curriculum extends beyond the core areas. A comprehensive social skills program and weekly instruction in a variety of adapted living skills prepare our students for success in the community.
- Midland's Speech, Physical and Occupational therapists work with teaching staff to identify each students needs in these areas.
- Midland develops life long work skills and career development program is part of every student's schedule.
- Midland's students are most successful when school and home work together. Midland has an active parents' association and family recreational activities all contribute to the important relatoinship between home and school.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Edison Grades: K-12 | 141 students
10 Oak Dr
Edison, NJ 08837
(732) 549-5580 20 K-12
- Belle Mead Grades: 7-12 | 97 students
252 County Road 601
Belle Mead, NJ 08502
(908) 281-1445 13 7-12
Sending your child to a single-sex school is one of several options you have when it comes to private schools.
Each state sets its own teacher certification requirements. While many private schools do not require you to be certified, it is in your best interests to obtain certification. This article includes contact information for state education offices so you can begin the process.
Marketing the small private school can be done affordably and effectively. We suggest five easy steps to make that happen.