Odyssey School Photo #2 - Odyssey students discover the long and painful history of Ireland including a drama that integrates art, humanities and history.
Odyssey School Photo #3 - An Odyssian's middle school journey culminates in a trip to Asia during the spring of 8th grade.
Odyssey School is an independent, co-ed, middle school for gifted and talented students.
Its unique and innovative curriculum, including on-site and off-site learning, takes our students up mountains, out on the ocean, and culminates in an 8th grade, 3-week trip to Japan.
Odyssey develops scholars and artists from the most promising young students.
- School Type: School with Special Program Emphasis
- Grades: 6-8
- Students: 54 students
- Yearly Tuition: $33,000
- Average class size: 15 students
- Application Deadline: None / Rolling
School Membership(s)School Assoc.
Learning Difference Programs
Learning Programs Supported
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 48%
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
Average Class Size
List of Courses Offered
Matriculation DataMatric. Data
Classroom Dress Code
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
None / Rolling
Yearly Tuition Cost
Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.
Ashland OR Shakespeare Festival, Community Service, Outdoor Education, Student Council
- Specialists in middle school gifted education
- Emphasis on the development of emotional intelligence through the Self-Science curriculum
- Challenging and academically rigorous curriculum created specifically for the unique learning needs of gifted and talented students
- Non-traditional physical education program including tai chi, yoga, karate, dance, aerobics, stage compat, fencing, swimming and hiking.
- Integrated creative arts program as part of the core curriculum
- Annual expeditions to Mt. Whitney, Lassen, Shasta or Diablo, alternating with the Channel Islands; Ashland Shakespeare Festival bi-annually, and Japan (8th graders only)
- Student self-discipline, self-knowledge and responsibility is a major focus of the educational approach at Odyssey
- Japanese foreign language education
- Effects smooth transitions between entrance to middle school and 6th grade and exit to high school from middle school.
I really love Odyssey. The teachers are all very supportive and make sure that you get the most out of your middle school years. They go on many expeditions that help build all sorts of skills, while building us up physically. This school is also smaller and has more hands on than average. Compared to other school Odyssey is more supportive and student based!
Odyssey is the best kept secret in the Bay Area. The head of school is an expert in middle school learning and development. The teachers are dedicated, and the learning accelerated and interesting. At first, the school’s size is certainly different and is perhaps its greatest asset for middle schoolers to learn and grow within a tight-knit supportive community. My son who is advanced academically and driven to learn and take on new challenges couldn't be happier and he is grateful to be an Odyssean!
Endorse Odyssey School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
How Exposed Is Your School?
There's much more to running a small private school than offering great academics and teaching. Be sure to check under the hood regularly to make sure everything keeps running smoothly.
Teen Travel In Uncertain Times
Most adults find traveling more complicated and challenging that it was pre-pandemic. We offer some suggestions for safe teen travel in these uncertain times.
Using Facebook, YouTube and Pinterest to Promote Your School
Social media is an effective marketing tool for your school. Here are some suggestions for using Facebook, YouTube and Pinterest.