Plumfield Academy Photo #2 - These boys are taking advantage of a sunny day to work on their math outside. Sometimes the cool breeze is enough motivation!
Plumfield Academy Photo #3 - The proud owner of a completed woodworking project! The youngest among us are taught proper safety techniques and allowed to participate and create beautiful things with the older students.
Plumfield Academy Photo #4 - Small groups are the norm at Plumfield. Students have quality time with a loving tutor and several peers for math and language arts during each day.
Plumfield Academy Photo #5 - Spending time each week outside in nature, exploring, observing, evaluating, assessing and enjoying is an essential component of our curriculum. Here students discover and observe evidence of beaver activity.
Plumfield Academy Photo #6 - Older students spend time in the spring researching a system of the body (or other topic of interest to them, related to the human body), preparing a power point presentation, then giving that presentation to their peers. There is time for Q&A, as well as feedback from students and teachers.
Plumfield Academy Photo #7 - Last year, students performed "A Christmas Carol", and the whole school participated either in the show or behind the scenes. It was a fantastic bonding experience for younger and older students.
Plumfield Academy Photo #8 - Outside free time is another critical part of the day at Plumfield. Students have an hour at lunchtime for child-driven play. This is often the most joyful part of the day for students, and it's a prized time for them. Our students play cards, climb trees, roll giant snowballs, capture the flag, invent alphabets for new languages and have fun!
- Founded in 1993, Plumfield Academy, situated in a wooded setting in Danvers, Massachusetts, offers an intimate learning environment for positive and creative students in grades one through eight.
- Plumfield is a family-like small school dedicated to providing today`s children with a sane, balanced life of vigorous intellectual study combined with child-driven free play and exploration in nature.
- Charlotte Mason asserted: `Education is a life," suggesting that an optimal education for children nurtures the body, mind and spirit in concert.
- While sustaining small-teacher-to-student ratios (1:8), the Plumfield family presents a unique and highly successful curricula incorporating character development, Great Books, personal narrative, the visual and performing arts and nature study.
|School Type||Alternative School|
|Grades Offered||Grades 1-8|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Dyslexia, Language Based learning Differences, Mild Learning Differences|
|Total Students||48 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||4 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||12:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||6 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$11,975|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$1,500|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||John Pension|
At Plumfield Academy we seek to offer, as Charlotte Mason described:
- an atmosphere where there is respect and understanding,
- a discipline of habits of mind and body,
- a life that includes intellectual, moral, and physical sustenance, and where the mind feeds on ideas.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Beverly Grades: 6-12 | 153 students
35 Standley Street
Beverly, MA 01915
(978)927-8793 6.9 6-12
Choosing the right private school for your child involves comparing schools as opposed to ranking them.
What is a lab school? It's a K-12 school or school with some variation of those grades which is operated by a university or college.
The COVID-19 has turned our lives upside down. Sending your children back to school raises all sorts of concerns for their safety and education. We answer some of your questions here.