The Phoenix School
5.00 (1 review)
Tel: (978) 741-0870
The Phoenix School Photo #2 - Our school uses the Salem Community, and beyond, as our campus, extending our classroom into the world around us, offering a rich and engaging curriculum and also giving back to our community. We often deliver food to Lifebridge, a homeless shelter in our city as one way to reach out and help in our community.
Phoenix revolutionized education almost forty years ago when the prevalent teaching methodology was turned on its head, and students were given an active voice and role in the classroom and their education.
Today, we continue to pioneer our innovative, experience-driven learning community.
Phoenix provides students with the tools, ideas, and encounters to help them be the best versions of themselves.
With teachers as their partners in the PK-8 education equation, students learn to emphasize process over product, executing project-based learning through a robust curriculum. Phoenix helps students think critically, explore deeply, work collaboratively, contribute globally, learn from failure, and celebrate success.
Our core values are creativity, perseverance, citizenship, innovation, and empathy.
The Phoenix School places among the top 20% of private schools in Massachusetts for:
- Category Attribute
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Association of Independent Schools in New England (AISNE)
Educational Records Bureau
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-8|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Total Students||26 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 23%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||3 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||9:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||5 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Students are expected to dress to learn.)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$25,000|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition ranges from $2500 for TK to $27100 ( includes travel study trip) for grades 6-8.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$15,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Mistral Dodson|
|Total Sports Offered||4 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Soccer, Surf Team, SwimmingBasketball, Soccer,|
Surf Team, Swimming,
- Phoenix Kids Go Places! Students use the downtown Salem area as their campus and the world as their classroom. 89 Margin St. is home base but students discover that learning is everywhere as we utilize our community resources and connect with students all over the globe.
- Local partnerships with the Salem YMCA, the world-renowned Peabody Essex Museum, Creative Salem, Mayor's Office, and Raw Artworks in nearby Lynn, MA help to provide an engaging and real-world educational experience for our students, preparing them to learn and grow in any environment.
- Travel to Learn. Each year 5th-8th graders visit a placeas a group of excited and knowledgable learners. We have visited the reefs of Virgin Islands National Park, the caves of Carlsbad Caverns National Park, Everglades National Park, and many more.
- Connect to Learn. All of our students, beginning in PK, participate in global projects that engage their curiosity, teach them about other cultures and kids around the world. In recent projects we have connected with countires from 6 of our 7 continents!
- The Phoenix School is a co-educational day school for students in preschool through 8th grade. The school strives to develop caring, self-confident, inquisitive, competent individuals responsive to a changing, complex world. Students, teachers and parents of diverse backgrounds actively join together in an education compact committed to the acquisition of skills, knowledge and values necessary for accepting responsibility for their lives in today's and tomorrow's world and for assuming effective roles within their families and communities.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Beverly Grades: 6-12 | 153 students
35 Standley Street
Beverly, MA 01915
(978) 927-8793 4.7 6-12
- Marblehead Grades: PK-8 | 243 students
75 West Shore Drive
Marblehead, MA 01945
(781) 631-5800 2.5 PK-8
- Amesbury Grades: PK-12 | 152 students
4 Noel St.
Amesbury, MA 01913
(978) 388-5354 22.8 PK-12
- Andover Grades: PK-9 | 452 students
34 Sunset Rock Road
Andover, MA 01810
(978) 475-1197 13.7 PK-9
My son has been here for one year. The teachers are incredibly gifted and talented. Each student receives essentially a custom-designed education. They progress as fast as they learn. My son has some mild special needs which are accommodated here and are a good fit with the student body. This school is like a family -- it takes a village to raise a child, and that includes being partners with their educators. I highly recommend!
- Posted by Parent - Melanie A.
Sending your child to a single-sex school is one of several options you have when it comes to private schools.
Each state sets its own teacher certification requirements. While many private schools do not require you to be certified, it is in your best interests to obtain certification. This article includes contact information for state education offices so you can begin the process.
Marketing the small private school can be done affordably and effectively. We suggest five easy steps to make that happen.