5.00 (1 review)
- Portledge is an independent, pre-nursery through twelfth grade coeducational, college-preparatory day school.
- The School`s coordinated sequential program provides an academically excellent education that prepares students for responsible and productive lives.
- Dedicated teachers, small class size, and a warm and personal atmosphere combine to advance high moral standards and individual accomplishments.
- Our teachers understand that for middle schoolers this is a time of self-exploration and self-definition. They teach and coach the whole child and understand their critical role in helping young adolescents develop confidence and become more independent.
- Middle schoolers are constantly changing, and our teachers themselves are energized by this.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
State or regional independent school association
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Total Students||474 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 29%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||80 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||16 students|
|Number of AP Courses||13 courses|
|Average SAT score||1250|
|Average ACT score||28|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Dec. 16 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$26,000|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition is tiered based upon the division. Lower School is 23,000, Middle School is 27,500 and Upper School is 29,950.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$14,000|
|Admissions Director||Michael Coope|
|Admissions Associate||Leigh Farrell|
|Total Sports Offered||12 sports|
|Sports||Ballet, Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Fencing, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Squash, TennisBallet, Baseball,|
Basketball, Cross Country,
Ice Hockey, Lacrosse,
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Locust ValleyGrades: NS-12 | 765 students
270 Duck Pond Road
Locust Valley, NY 11560
- Garden CityGrades: PK-12 | 415 students
225 Cambridge Avenue
Garden City, NY 11530
- MerrickGrades: K-12 | 133 students
36 Smith Street
Merrick, NY 11566
- BrookvilleGrades: 6-12 | 520 students
131 Brookville Road
Brookville, NY 11545
- ManhassetGrades: 9-12 | 800 students
51 Clapham Avenue
Manhasset, NY 11030
I graduated in the class of ''94. My years at Portledge greatly prepared me for every challenge and success in life since then.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - harry
January 19, 2018
Depending on their family circumstances, our Presidents received a wide range of primary and secondary schooling.
January 19, 2018
A fascinating look at where our first Presidents went to school.
January 18, 2018
From time to time we all wonder how things might have turned out if circumstances and situations had been different. We apply that questioning to private schools.