East Woods School
5.00 (7 reviews)
Tel: (516) 922-4400
East Woods School Photo #2 - Throughout the school year, visual and performing arts events -- plays, concerts, exhibits and other presentations -- engage parents and community friends while strengthening curriculum and building the personal confidence of each participating student.
East Woods School Photo #3 - Involvement in the field of fine arts is an important and essential element in the education of our students. Art classes promote an enjoyment of the creative process, which motivates children to develop skills, confidence in their own expressive capabilities and a lifelong appreciation of the arts.
East Woods School Photo #4 - In the East Woods community, teachers know each student by name, and the students themselves form friendships that last a life time. The Commencement Ceremony is the culmination of the East Woods experience. This event is quite special, as the Head of School gives remarks about each graduate as he or she walks to the podium.
East Woods School Photo #5 - Learning a foreign language is an integral part of the East Woods experience. East Woods students begin Spanish instruction in Nursery. The students are taught both Spanish and French in the Third grade, and continue with both languages until they select one to focus on in Fifth grade. Every student is also required to take Latin in the Seventh grade.
East Woods School Photo #6 - All students are musicians at East Woods. They learn to appreciate music through singing, playing, creating and listening, from Pre-Nursery through Eighth grade. There are many performance opportunities throughout the year, both with a group or solo.
East Woods School Photo #7 - Soccer, basketball, ice hockey, lacrosse, baseball and softball teams play in their respective fall, winter and spring seasons, at junior varsity and varsity levels. Strengthening sports skills and good sportsmanship are essential components of the East Woods experience.
East Woods School Photo #8 - Commitment to community service is central to an East Woods education. Ever since its founding in 1946, East Woods has sought to teach its students the life-changing value of social responsibility. Students in all grades take active roles in community projects, from cleaning up local beaches to tutoring children who live in impoverished neighborhoods.
- East Woods School is a friendly community of students, faculty and parents that feels more like one big family rather than just a school.
- Founded in 1946 by a small group of parents, East Woods is still a community of families seeking a school that is small by design, and one that promotes excellence in a nurturing environment.
- At East Woods School, located in Oyster Bay, Long Island, we develop confident, motivated, and kind leaders.
- We believe that your child`s potential is only the beginning.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
State or regional independent school association
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-8|
|Total Students||174 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 29%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||35 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Melissa Cedrone|
|Endowment Size||$3 million|
|Total Sports Offered||7 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, SoftballBaseball, Basketball,|
Cross Country, Ice Hockey,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||14 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Advanced Learning Program, Chess, First Lego League Clubs, Homework Helpers, Science Adventures
Arts and Music Programs:
Acting, Ballet, Fine Arts, Jazz, Musical Theater, String Instruments, Tap
Recreational Athletic Programs:
- East Woods School believes your child's potential is only the beginning.
- The moment our students walk up the front steps of the school their East Woods journey begins. They are greeted with a handshake and a smile by our Head of School. This vital interaction not only warmly welcomes our students into our school but also teaches them the importance of making connections with those around them.
- We believe in the journey and the destination.
- The journey from Pre-Nursery through the Eighth Grade provides our students with a foundation of essential learning skills, a life of community involvement and good character development. Our students learn to independently follow their passion. They discover their own answers, and become true citizens of the world.Our graduates enter secondary school as curious, confident and conscientious students who are equipped to excel in the classroom and are eager to contribute as caring citizens of their school and broader communities.
- We are a small school by design.Our low student-to-teacher ratio allows for individualized attention and differentiated instruction. Our size allows each student to have the opportunity to lead, to contribute, and shine. Our teachers and administrators truly understand your child's potential. We find joy in the discovery.We are a supportive, family-centered learning community that is as nurturing as it is rigorous.We are a culture of positivity, warmth, and confidence.
- East Woods School has a family feeling that makes it a second home. This sense of home permeates everything we do, from our family-style lunches that blend students and faculty across grades, to our monthly Friday Morning Assemblies. Parents eagerly participate in these activities and more throughout the school year.Our rigorous curriculum challenges our students. The benefits of our demanding programs are evident in the culture of confidence. Public speaking, STEAM academics, and community service begin early and are embedded throughout their academic experience.
- Our students transition from East Woods to their secondary school of choice with ease.We are committed to developing the whole child.Character development is woven into the day to day experience for the whole community. Honesty, responsibility, perseverance, and respect are some of the myriad traits focused on in and outside of the classroom. Through literature, class discussions, and hands on activities, the children are able to grasp the meaning of these concepts and incorporate them into their lives.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Roslyn Grades: NS-8 | 356 students
2 I U Willets Road
Roslyn, NY 11576
(516) 627-1910 11 NS-8
- Glen Head Grades: PK-8 | 353 students
250 Valentines Lane
Glen Head, NY 11545
(516) 621-2420 6.4 PK-8
I can not say enough wonderful things about East Woods School. Whether on campus, or learning remotely during the COVID-19 Pandemic, EWS continues to prove that they are the best of the best. During our 11 years at the school, East Woods has truly become a home away from home for our family. This school has an outstanding and nurturing faculty, caring and dedicated administrators, and a community of wonderful families. I would recommend this school to anyone looking for an exceptional learning environment for their child!
- Posted by Parent - MBM
We have been a part of the East Woods community for the last 10 years. We have 2 children now in the middle school and we could not be happier with the rigorous curriculum, individualized attention and most importantly, whole character development. East Woods prepares students to be confident, curious and kind. The teachers are compassionate, drive high standards, and challenge the children to become the very best version of themselves. You will not be disappointed in investing in an East Woods education for your child/children. As you think about the changing educational environment with COVID-19, East Woods holds the highest standards of safety to health guidelines, flexibility to continue to deliver live instruction both in person and virtually (if you choose) every day, and a nurturing community that connects with your child to keep them engaged despite this circumstance.
- Posted by Parent - DB
We have been at East Woods for 8 years, and it's been the best choice for our family. The guidance and encouragement provided by the faculty to my two students is unquestionable and has significantly positively shaped our children's lives for the better. Not only have we found the school to be academically excellent in comparison to other independent schools, we truly value the independence and confidence EWS fosters and that students demonstrate. The dedication of the staff is outstanding. We enjoy being part of this community which opens its doors and welcomes the families as much as students.
- Posted by Parent - Ceriello Family
We're so lucky to have found East Woods. After 8 years with the school we know first-hand the benefits of this nurturing program, caring and committed teachers and forward-focused curriculum. Our kids have been encouraged to think independently, be curious, confident, and respectful. If there's ever an issue the teachers are the first to let us know and work with us to help get our kids back on their unique tracks. The academics are very strong and have year-after-year allowed students an open door at the high schools of their choice. It's really one of long island's best kept secrets for families who make value education as a priority.
- Posted by Parent - Ceriello
East Woods has been a great fit for our family. Using the "whole child" approach, EWS has enriched my son with both the core subjects and the arts. He has done everything from discecting squid to studying physics by designing, constructing, then test his own go-cart. Another thing that I love about EWS is their focus on public speaking and a supportive staff that encourages the positive "vibe" that runs through the school. I'm glad we made the choice we did.
- Posted by Parent - Trocchio
This is the best school; caring, nurturing environment with amazing families and teachers! Teaches children to be respectful, caring, and unique citizens. Curriculum is excellent and all East Woods kids are known to be special.
- Posted by Parent - Gambella
East Woods is a great school that prepares students to take achieve any goal they set for themselves.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - rnh35
If you live outside the United States, choosing an American private school can be a confusing process. Here is an overview of the process.
Many people thought vouchers would never amount to much. Not only have they amounted to a great deal more than anybody could have thought, but vouchers have encouraged several more education choices to flourish.
Now that school has safely reopened, what can we parents do to support and encourage the schools we care about so much?