The Waldorf School Of Garden City
5.00 (4 reviews)
- The Waldorf School of Garden City (WSGC) provides a rigorous, college preparatory education, using an innovative and multisensory approach to learning. Our teachers possess unique insight into child development and the sophisticated integration of subjects in our curriculum creates an educational experience that inspires our students to evolve into confident, creative thinkers who are strongly connected to humanity and the environment.
- Founded in 1947, WSGC is part of a global community of teachers and child development professionals who have come together for the purpose of educating, supporting and inspiring children.
- With 90 years of proven curriculum experience, Waldorf education has nearly 2500 schools and kindergartens in over 60 countries.
- Over 94% of North American Waldorf graduates gain admission to a post-secondary school of their choice; 50% go on to a PhD or Masters.
|School Type||Waldorf School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Association of Waldorf Schools of North America|
New York State Association of Independent Schools (NYSAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Total Students||419 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 29%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||70 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||18 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Ann Mulvehill|
|Admissions Associate||Carol Proctor|
|Total Sports Offered||11 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Fencing, Golf, Lacrosse, Mountaineering, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, VolleyballBaseball, Basketball,|
Cross Country, Fencing,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||9 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
ACT Prep, Baking Club, Chinese Culture, Drama Club, Gymnastics & Acrobatics Club, Math Club, SAT Prep, Spirit Club
Arts and Music Programs:
Choosing a school is one of the biggest decisions you will make for your child and your family.
Parents choose The Waldorf School of Garden City because of:
- rigorous academics enlivened by fine and practical arts, languages, music & drama
- excellent teacher-parent relations
- emphasis on family and community values
- a strong reputation for environmentalism
- expertise in child development
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- MerrickGrades: K-12 | 133 students
36 Smith Street
Merrick, NY 11566
- WoodmereGrades: PK-12 | 255 students
336 Woodmere Blvd
Woodmere, NY 11598
- HicksvilleGrades: 9-12 | 950 students
98 Cherry Ln
Hicksville, NY 11801
- BrookvilleGrades: 6-12 | 520 students
131 Brookville Road
Brookville, NY 11545
- MerrickGrades: K-8 | 118 students
1425 Merrick Ave
Merrick, NY 11566
My son, now 29, started at the Waldorf School of Garden City in the Nursery program and stayed right through High School. When we originally enrolled him, we expected it would just be for the superior Early Childhood programs and then he would move to the Garden City public schools. But once we experienced this amazing community of teachers and this remarkable education, we could not imagine our son being anywhere else. So why did we chose to invest so heavily in his early education -- when there were perfectly fine public schools available? Because we quickly recognized that Waldorf education would teach our son how to think, not what to think. The capacity for critical thinking and independent problem-solving is vital for success in today`s world. My son`s Waldorf education developed those skills and capacities in ways that I couldn`t have imagined. As a result, he is succeeding today at the highest levels of management consulting, while also pursuing his MBA at an elite university. But here`s the best part he is a really wonderful human being, and I attribute much of that to his Waldorf education as well. Simply put one of the best decisions his father and I ever made was to enroll our son at the Waldorf School of Garden City.
- Posted by Parent - Alumni parent
Both my son and daughter have gone here from nursery to 8th grade. We are so happy with their love for learning and the balanced life we live because of this small and specialized community of educators. We will continue through the high school.
- Posted by Parent - Proud parent
I am from Shanghai China and my daughter hope to study in your senior high school. She want to get information about how to apply and how much be to pay. Thank you so much.
- Posted by Parent - Lizhe
My son went to Waldorf school in Garden city last year and he was K. I strongly recommend this school especially their younger child education. It's a lovely environment with caring and knowledgable teachers. Our teacher is Mrs. Helwig and she's a great teacher.
- Posted by Parent - shell
March 01, 2018
Shootings, terrorist attacks, tornadoes, floods, earthquakes, fire, and more are sadly commonplace happenings in the 21st-century. How prepared for the unthinkable is your school?
February 21, 2018
Raising children involves constant attention to their development and progress. Identifying learning disabilities must be part of your plan.
February 19, 2018
Think of the school search process as a series of checkpoints, each of which has a due date. We show you when to do the various items in the search process.