Portsmouth Abbey School
- Top Ranked RI School
- Grades: 9-12
- Enrollment: 337 students
- Yearly Tuition: $69,570
- Acceptance rate: 31%
- Average class size: 12 students
- Application Deadline: Jan. 31
- Source: Verified school update
Portsmouth Abbey School ranks among the top 20% of private schools in Rhode Island for:
Academics and Faculty
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
- The aim of Portsmouth Abbey School is to help young men and women grow in knowledge and grace. Grounded in the Catholic faith and 1500-year-old Benedictine intellectual tradition, the School fosters:
- Part of our mission is to live in a community that values each of its members, and our similarities and differences. This mission enables our students to better understand themselves and the world around them. Our students thrive in this environment and take full advantage of the spiritual, athletic, artistic, and service opportunities that exist on our campus and beyond. Our sense of community is strong, vibrant, and easy to feel, although sometimes challenging to put into words.
- We celebrate our achievements, and we offer help to those in need in an effort to make this a more gracious community. We invite you to learn more about Portsmouth Abbey School in the following pages and our website, but most importantly please come and see it for yourself.
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Christopher Buckley - writer and political satirist; former Managing Editor of Esquire Magazine; chief speech writer for Vice President George H. W. Bush; author of Thank You for Smoking
- John E. Pepper, Jr. - Chairman of the Walt Disney Company
- Robert F. Kennedy - U.S. Senator from New York; U.S. Attorney General
- Edward M. Kennedy - U.S. Senator from Massachusetts
- Peter M. Flanigan - Assistant to President Richard Nixon
- Benedict Fitzgerald - American screenwriter - In Cold Blood, Wise Blood; co-wrote Aramaic, Hebrew, and Latin screenplay for The Passion of the Christ
- Charlie Day - actor, writer, executive producter - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
- William Ruckelshaus - first Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency; former FBI director and U.S. Deputy Attorney General
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does Portsmouth Abbey School cost?
Portsmouth Abbey School's tuition is approximately $69,570 for private students.
What is the acceptance rate of Portsmouth Abbey School?
The acceptance rate of Portsmouth Abbey School is 31%, which is lower than the national average of 77%. Portsmouth Abbey School's acceptance rate is ranked among the top private schools in Rhode Island with low acceptance rates.
Who are famous alumni from Portsmouth Abbey School?
Portsmouth Abbey School famous alumni include: Christopher Buckley, John E. Pepper, Jr., Robert F. Kennedy, Edward M. Kennedy, Peter M. Flanigan, Benedict Fitzgerald, Charlie Day and William Ruckelshaus.
Does Portsmouth Abbey School offer a summer program?
Yes, Portsmouth Abbey School offers a summer program. Visit their summer school page for more information.
What sports does Portsmouth Abbey School offer?
Portsmouth Abbey School offers 18 interscholastic sports: Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Dance, Equestrian, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Sailing, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball and Wrestling. Portsmouth Abbey School is ranked as one of the top 20% of private schools in Rhode Island for most sports offered.
What is Portsmouth Abbey School's ranking?
Portsmouth Abbey School ranks among the top 20% of private schools in Rhode Island for: Highest average SAT score, Lowest average acceptance rates, Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees, Largest student body and Most sports offered.
When is the application deadline for Portsmouth Abbey School?
The application deadline for Portsmouth Abbey School is Jan. 31.
Endorse Portsmouth Abbey School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards