Portsmouth Abbey School
- Portsmouth Abbey School is a Catholic, co-educational boarding and day school for students in grades 9 through 12.
- The school is located on a beautiful 525-acre campus along Narragansett Bay, just a few miles from Newport, RI. For 90 years the Abbey`s liberal arts curriculum has been preparing students for lives of significance and purpose.
- This education is grounded in the Western intellectual tradition and teaches students to solve problems, communicate ideas, work together, and innovate.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
Other school association(s)
Not Available (School did not report any membership associatons).
|Religious Affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Total Students||360 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 22%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||50 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||13 students|
|Number of AP Courses||19 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Average SAT score||1320|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 31|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$56,490|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$37,500|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Steve Pietraszek|
|Admissions Associate||Wallace Gundy|
|Total Sports Offered||18 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Dance, Equestrian, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Sailing, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, WrestlingBaseball, Basketball,|
Cross Country, Dance,
Equestrian, Field Hockey,
Ice Hockey, Lacrosse,
Track and Field, Wrestling,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||33 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Abbey Singers, Amnesty International, campus tour guides, Chess Club, Christian Community Service, Creative Writing Workshop, Cultural Awareness at Portsmouth (CAAP), Debate Club, Future Problem Solvers, Humanities Forum, Jazz Band, literary magazine, Model United Nations, New England Math League, Peer Tutors, Radio Station, Red Key, SADD, Saint Francis de Sales group, Social Committee, Student Athletic Advisory Board, Student Council, student newspaper, student-run snack shop, Students Against Destructive Decisions, Teens Leading Children, The Beacon, The Gregorian, The Raven, TLC, Tuck Shop, WJHD, yearbook|
- The aim of Portsmouth Abbey School is to help young men and women grow in knowledge and grace. Grounded in the Catholic faith and 1500-year-old Benedictine intellectual tradition, the School fosters:
- Reverence-for God and the human person
- Respect-for learning and order
- Responsibility-for the shared experience of community life
- Part of our mission is to live in a community that values each of its members our similarities and differences. This enables students to better understand themselves and the world around them. Our students thrive in this environment and can take full advantage of the spiritual, athletic, artistic, and service options that exist on our campus and beyond. This sense of community is strong and vibrant easy to feel although sometimes challenging to put into words.
- We celebrate our achievements and we offer help to those in need in an effort to make this a more gracious community. We invite you to learn more about Portsmouth Abbey School in the following pages and our website; but most importantly please come and see it for yourself.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- NewportGrades: 9-12 | 370 students
P.O. Box 1910
Newport, RI 02840
- ProvidenceGrades: 7-12 | 1478 students
612 Academy Ave
Providence, RI 02908
- WakefieldGrades: 9-12 | 624 students
4640 Tower Hill Rd
Wakefield, RI 02879
- East GreenwichGrades: NS-12 | 295 students
530 Ives Road
East Greenwich, RI 02818
- WarwickGrades: PK-8 | 228 students
120 Mayfair Road
Warwick, RI 02888
January 16, 2018
Part of the private school selection process is financial aid. We point out five issues about which you should be aware.
January 16, 2018
We look at why tuition costs vary so widely from school to school.
January 08, 2018
Changes to the Tax Code in late 2017 included the addition of saving for K-12 private school education to 529 plans. We take a look at what this means for families thinking about private school for their children.