Portsmouth Abbey School
Portsmouth Abbey School is a Catholic, co-educational boarding and day school for students in grades 9 through 12.
The school is located on a beautiful 525-acre campus along Narragansett Bay, just a few miles from Newport, RI. For over 90 years, the Abbey`s liberal arts curriculum has prepared students for lives of significance and purpose.
This education is grounded in the Western intellectual tradition and teaches students to solve problems, communicate ideas, work together, and innovate.
- Top Ranked RI School
- Grades: 9-12
- Students: 360 students
- Yearly Tuition: $63,050
- Acceptance rate: 31%
- Average class size: 13 students
- Application Deadline: Jan. 31
Portsmouth Abbey School ranks among the top 20% of private schools in Rhode Island for:
Summer School Offered
Summer Program Details
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 27%
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
% Faculty w/Advanced Degree
Average Class Size
Number of AP Courses
List of Courses Offered
Average SAT score
Classroom Dress Code
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
Yearly Tuition Cost
% on Financial Aid
Average Financial Aid Grant
National avg.: 85%
Total Sports Offered
Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.
Abbey Singers, Amnesty International, campus tour guides, Chess Club, Christian Community Service, Creative Writing Workshop, Cultural Awareness at Portsmouth (CAAP), Debate Club, Future Problem Solvers, Humanities Forum, Jazz Band, literary magazine, Model United Nations, New England Math League, Peer Tutors, Radio Station, Red Key, SADD, Saint Francis de Sales group, Social Committee, Student Athletic Advisory Board, Student Council, student newspaper, student-run snack shop, Students Against Destructive Decisions, Teens Leading Children, The Beacon, The Gregorian, The Raven, TLC, Tuck Shop, WJHD, yearbook
- The aim of Portsmouth Abbey School is to help young men and women grow in knowledge and grace. Grounded in the Catholic faith and 1500-year-old Benedictine intellectual tradition, the School fosters:
- Part of our mission is to live in a community that values each of its members, and our similarities and differences. This mission enables our students to better understand themselves and the world around them. Our students thrive in this environment and take full advantage of the spiritual, athletic, artistic, and service opportunities that exist on our campus and beyond. Our sense of community is strong, vibrant, and easy to feel, although sometimes challenging to put into words.
- We celebrate our achievements, and we offer help to those in need in an effort to make this a more gracious community. We invite you to learn more about Portsmouth Abbey School in the following pages and our website, but most importantly please come and see it for yourself.
Profile last updated: 08/03/2021
Endorse Portsmouth Abbey School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
Teen Travel In Uncertain Times
Most adults find traveling more complicated and challenging that it was pre-pandemic. We offer some suggestions for safe teen travel in these uncertain times.
Using Facebook, YouTube and Pinterest to Promote Your School
Social media is an effective marketing tool for your school. Here are some suggestions for using Facebook, YouTube and Pinterest.
Should Teachers Be Unionized?
One of the basic differences between private and public schools is the fact that most public school teachers belong to a union. Should teachers be unionized?