Portsmouth Abbey School
Tel: (401) 643-1248
Portsmouth Abbey School is a Catholic, co-educational boarding and day school for students in grades 9 through 12.
The school is located on a beautiful 525-acre campus along Narragansett Bay, just a few miles from Newport, RI. For over 90 years, the Abbey`s liberal arts curriculum has prepared students for lives of significance and purpose.
This education is grounded in the Western intellectual tradition and teaches students to solve problems, communicate ideas, work together, and innovate.
Portsmouth Abbey School places among the top 20% of private schools in Rhode Island for:
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
Other school association(s)
Not Available (School did not report any membership associatons).
|Religious Affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Total Students||360 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 22%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||50 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||13 students|
|Number of AP Courses||16 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Average SAT score||1400|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 31|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$63,050|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$37,500|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Steve Pietraszek|
|Admissions Associate||Allie Skelley|
|Endowment Size||$45 million|
|Total Sports Offered||18 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Dance, Equestrian, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Sailing, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, WrestlingBaseball, Basketball,|
Cross Country, Dance,
Equestrian, Field Hockey,
Ice Hockey, Lacrosse,
Tennis, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||33 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Abbey Singers, Amnesty International, campus tour guides, Chess Club, Christian Community Service, Creative Writing Workshop, Cultural Awareness at Portsmouth (CAAP), Debate Club, Future Problem Solvers, Humanities Forum, Jazz Band, literary magazine, Model United Nations, New England Math League, Peer Tutors, Radio Station, Red Key, SADD, Saint Francis de Sales group, Social Committee, Student Athletic Advisory Board, Student Council, student newspaper, student-run snack shop, Students Against Destructive Decisions, Teens Leading Children, The Beacon, The Gregorian, The Raven, TLC, Tuck Shop, WJHD, yearbook|
- The aim of Portsmouth Abbey School is to help young men and women grow in knowledge and grace. Grounded in the Catholic faith and 1500-year-old Benedictine intellectual tradition, the School fosters:
- Reverence - for God and the human person
- Respect - for learning and order
- Responsibility - for the shared experience of community life
- Part of our mission is to live in a community that values each of its members, and our similarities and differences. This mission enables our students to better understand themselves and the world around them. Our students thrive in this environment and take full advantage of the spiritual, athletic, artistic, and service opportunities that exist on our campus and beyond. Our sense of community is strong, vibrant, and easy to feel, although sometimes challenging to put into words.
- We celebrate our achievements, and we offer help to those in need in an effort to make this a more gracious community. We invite you to learn more about Portsmouth Abbey School in the following pages and our website, but most importantly please come and see it for yourself.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Middletown Grades: 9-12 | 379 students
372 Purgatory Road
Middletown, RI 02842
(401) 847-7565 7.8 9-12
- Wakefield Grades: 9-12 | 400 students
4640 Tower Hill Rd
Wakefield, RI 02879
(401) 789-9262 14.4 9-12
- Providence Grades: NS-12 | 753 students
250 Lloyd Ave
Providence, RI 02906
(401) 831-7350 17.4 NS-12
Choosing a private school is a process with many parts to it. It also takes 18-24 months to complete. This collection of articles deals with the first part of the process in which you begin to look at private schools and what they offer.
Marketing the small private school can be done affordably and effectively. We suggest five easy steps to make that happen.
Solid parent-teacher relationships have always been an important part of K-12 education. During this interminable pandemic, parent-teacher relationships have become even more important.