- Purnell School is the premier boarding and day school for girls with learning differences.
- Our mission is to educate young women, who learn differently in grades nine through PG within a creative, reflective, and supportive classroom and boarding community.
- We offer seven- and five-day boarding as well as day programs.
- Purnell also offers a PG year program that encourages study and exploration.
- Our campus is located on 83 acres in rural, equestrian New Jersey.
- Safe, peaceful yet close to the vibrancy of New York City and Philadelphia.
- Students discover their unique strengths in preparation for college and the world.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
New Jersey Association of Independent Schools
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Dyslexia, Dysgraphia, Dyscalculia, ADHD, Executive Function Challenges, Auditory Processing Disorder|
|Total Students||80 students|
|Student Body Type||All-girls|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 30%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||23 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||3:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||10 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal
(Purnell students are required to wear uniforms. A complete set of uniforms is $200 - $300 and typically includes a blazer, sweater or vest, white Oxford button down shirt, and a kilt.)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$57,835|
|Tuition Notes||7-day Boarding Student Tuition: $57,835: 5-Day Boarding Student Tuition: $55,650; Day Student Tuition: $42,045; International Student Tuition: $61,085|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$22,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Beth A. Rainey|
|Total Sports Offered||7 sports|
|Sports||Ballet, Basketball, Cross Country, Dance, Equestrian, Soccer, SoftballBallet, Basketball,
Cross Country, Dance,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||20 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Adlibbers-Acting Group, Art Club, Big Sisters, Choir, Community Service Club, Dance Synthesis, Environmental Club, Equestrian, Fashion Design, Floor Leaders, Knitting Club, Peer Leaders, Recycling Club, Red Team/Blue Team, School Tour Guides, Shoots and Strawberries Singing Group, Student Council, Student Library Club, Technical Theater, Yearbook Art Club, Big Sisters, Choir, Equestrian, Fashion Design, Floor Leaders, Knitting Club, Peer Leaders, Recycling Club, Yearbook, Adlibbers-Acting Group,
Community Service Club,
Red Team/Blue Team,
School Tour Guides,
Shoots and Strawberries Singing Group,
Student Library Club,
- Purnell School, established in 1963, is the premier boarding and day school for girls with learning differences. We are at the forefront of education for girls from across the globe with different learning styles. We use a highly individualized approach tailored to the precise learning style of each student. Girls in grades nine through twelve learn within a creative, reflective, and supportive classroom and boarding community and thrive in academics, the arts and athletics. We offer seven and five-day boarding as well as day programs. Purnell also offers a Post Graduate (PG) year of study and exploration. Each year Purnell graduates attend the college of their choice.Purnell is located on 83 acres in rural, equestrian New Jersey. Safe, peaceful yet close to the vibrancy of New York City and Philadelphia. Students discover their unique strengths in preparation for college and the world. Purnell students learn to be ethical, independent, and self-confident working with faculty who act as mentors, teaching to the individual needs of the student.Purnell`s founding beliefs continue to guide the school over 50 years later: Consideration of Others, Truthfulness in All Relations, Use of Common Sense.Purnell successfully serves girls with the following learning differences: Dyslexia, Dysgraphia, Dyscalculia, ADHD, Executive Functioning Challenges, Auditory Processing Disorders.School accreditations: Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools.
People that viewed Purnell School also viewed these schools: The Wardlaw-Hartridge School, Linden Hall, Oak Knoll School Of The Holy Child (All Girls 7-12), The Pingry School and The Hun School of Princeton.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
EdisonGrades: PK-12 | 446 students
1295 Inman Ave
Edison, NJ 08820
LititzGrades: 5-12 | 226 students
212 E Main St
Lititz, PA 17543
SummitGrades: 7-12 | 308 students
44 Blackburn Road
Summit, NJ 07901
Basking RidgeGrades: K-12 | 1114 students
131 Martinsville Road
Basking Ridge, NJ 07920
PrincetonGrades: 6-12 | 630 students
176 Edgerstoune Road
Princeton, NJ 08540