5.00 (1 review)
Tel: (908) 439-2154
Purnell School Photo #2 - The overarching mission of the Purnell Athletic Department is for each individual student to experience the benefits of physical fitness, healthy living, and the camaraderie that comes from being a part of a team. A variety of athletic activities, from non-competitive offerings to competitive team sports affords Purnell students of every athletic ability and interest the opportunity to find a sport that suits them best.
Purnell School Photo #3 - Purnell offers highly individualized student services. While most schools have advising, our program provides each girl one-on-one advisor time for a half hour or more weekly. Our school day also has an hour built in when teachers are on hand to provide extra help. This time does not conflict with any other scheduled events.
Purnell School Photo #4 - Purnell accepts girls who will be more successful in a smaller setting where their talents and personalities are celebrated and they are not lost in the crowd. A Purnell girl may have a strong interest in the arts, or may want to get off the bench and onto the playing fields. Whatever her background, a girl's talents are recognized and nurtured here.
- Purnell School is the premier boarding and day school for girls with learning differences.
- Our mission is to educate young women, who learn differently in grades nine through PG within a creative, reflective, and supportive classroom and boarding community.
- We offer seven- and five-day boarding as well as day programs. Purnell also offers a PG year program that encourages study and exploration.
- Our campus is located on 83 acres in rural, equestrian New Jersey.
- Safe, peaceful yet close to the vibrancy of New York City and Philadelphia.
- Students discover their unique strengths in preparation for college and the world.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
New Jersey Association of Independent Schools
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Dyslexia, Dysgraphia, Dyscalculia, ADHD, Executive Function Challenges, Auditory Processing Disorder|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||57 students|
|Student Body Type||All-girls|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 29%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||20 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||3:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||10 students|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(Everyday uniform: dark wash jeans, white button-down or polo and Purnell sweater. Formal uniform includes a blazer and a kilt or khaki pants.)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Admissions Director||Kate Davis|
|Admissions Associate||Meghan Coates|
|Total Sports Offered||7 sports|
|Sports||Ballet, Basketball, Dance, Equestrian, Soccer, Softball, TennisBallet, Basketball,|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||14 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Adlibbers-Acting Group, Art Club, Big Sisters, Choir, Community Service Club, Dance Synthesis, Environmental Club, Equestrian, Floor Leaders, School Tour Guides, Shoots and Strawberries Singing Group, Student Council, Technical Theater, Yearbook|
- Purnell School, established in 1963, is the premier boarding and day school for girls with learning differences. We are at the forefront of education for girls from across the globe with different learning styles. We use a highly individualized approach tailored to the precise learning style of each student. Girls in grades nine through twelve learn within a creative, reflective, and supportive classroom and boarding community and thrive in academics, the arts and athletics. We offer seven and five-day boarding as well as day programs. Purnell also offers a Post Graduate (PG) year of study and exploration. Each year Purnell graduates attend the college of their choice.Purnell is located on 83 acres in rural, equestrian New Jersey. Safe, peaceful yet close to the vibrancy of New York City and Philadelphia. Students discover their unique strengths in preparation for college and the world. Purnell students learn to be ethical, independent, and self-confident working with faculty who act as mentors, teaching to the individual needs of the student.Purnell`s founding beliefs continue to guide the school over 50 years later: Consideration of Others, Truthfulness in All Relations, Use of Common Sense.Purnell successfully serves girls with the following learning differences: Dyslexia, Dysgraphia, Dyscalculia, ADHD, Executive Functioning Challenges, Auditory Processing Disorders.School accreditations: Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Montclair Grades: PK-12 | 1054 students
201 Valley Road
Montclair, NJ 07042
(973) 746-9800 27.5 PK-12
- Blairstown Grades: 9-12
2 Park St
Blairstown, NJ 07825
(800) 462-5247 22.3 9-12
Current parent at school. After a period of turnover, the new head, faculty and support staff are a strong and unified team. The learning and wellness focus brings together a complete academic profile of each girl that each teacher has uses to adjust their teaching approach. The girls are at the center of the overall academic and wellness curriculum. My daughter is in her second year at the new school and has increased confidence in learning and in advocating for herself. The new leadership team is having an impact. This school will be on everyone's radar soon.
- Posted by Parent - Martha gallo
Whether you are just beginning the process of choosing a private school or several months into it, make sure that you keep these five 'must haves' front and center in your thinking.
Are charter schools private schools? What do vouchers have to do with private schools? Some answers here.
You cannot rank private schools. We explain why.