Sacred Heart School
Tel: (718) 293-4288
Sacred Heart School Photo #2 - Sacred Heart School has been a part of the Highbridge community since opening its doors in 1926. By integrating traditional values with an ever-improving academic curriculum, Sacred Heart has educated generations of Highbridge children.
Sacred Heart School Photo #3 - Inside our Nelson Avenue school, children learn and mature in a safe environment. Each day from 8 am to 4 pm, students receive an academically sound, values-based education taught by our committed faculty.
Sacred Heart School Photo #4 - At Sacred Heart, maintaining a safe and engaging learning environment for our students is our priority. We recently renovated our school with hundreds of brand new desks and chairs brought in for all 1st through 8th grade classrooms. Many rooms were also freshly painted, equipped with new whiteboards, lighting, blinds, storage, and improved flooring.
Sacred Heart School Photo #5 - Sacred Heart?'s Pre-Kindergarten 4 and Kindergarten program shape children?'s academic, social, and emotional development. Young learners participate in interactive lessons that prepare them to successfully master future academic challenges.
Sacred Heart School Photo #6 - First and second grade teachers use a variety of teaching techniques to bring students to a deeper understanding of math and ELA topics, challenging them to build upon their existing skills.
Sacred Heart School Photo #7 - Sacred Heart?'s middle school prepares students for success in high school and beyond. Students delve into more challenging lessons in math, ELA, science, and social studies while learning to be role models for younger students. Middle school teachers frequently use our science lab, iPads, and chrome books to enhance students' educational experience.
Sacred Heart School Photo #8 - Sacred Heart School collaborates with various partners to offer robust programs that augment the curriculum and enhance students' lives. Programs include Dancing Classrooms (4th & 5th grade), Urban Voices (Pre-K, Kindergarten, and 1st grade), Edu Music (Pre-K-1st grade), and New York Philharmonic (3rd-5th grade). All programs broaden student awareness of the rich and often unexplored culture of their city.
- Sacred Heart shares the commitment of all Catholic schools to "the development of the whole person." Its primary mission is to make sure each child has learning experiences that instill positive attitudes and provide the knowledge and skills necessary for their intellectual, emotional, spiritual and physical development.
- Sacred Heart is determined to create an academically challenging environment that encourages students be excellent, to be respectful of others, and to be responsible members of the community.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Catholic Educational Association (NCEA)|
|Religious Affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||473 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 29%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||21 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||23:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(All students wear uniforms)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$4,700|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition includes all fees (fundraising, book, technology) and is paid in 10 installments from August to May. Financial-based scholarships are also available to new students coming from public or charter schools.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Sara Martinez|
|Total Sports Offered||1 sport|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||6 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Arts and Music Programs:|
Dancing Classrooms, Edu Music Inc.- Music and Movement Program, New York Philharmonic Orchestra Program, Paul Effman Band Program, Urban Voices Choir Program
Recreational Athletic Programs:
JV & Varsity Basketball Team (Girls and Boys)
- Sacred Heart School has been a part of the Highbridge community since opening its doors in 1926. By integrating traditional values with an ever-improving academic curriculum, Sacred Heart has educated generations of Highbridge children. For 90 years, we have proven our ability to produce hardworking students primed for academic and professional achievement.Inside our Nelson Avenue school, children learn and mature in a safe environment.
- Each day from 8 am to 4 pm, students receive an academically sound, values-based education taught by our committed faculty. Sacred Heart takes pride in its faculty`s efforts to engage the intellect and imagination of every student. Through our faculty`s commitment to holistic growth, students develop social, academic and creative skills.
- At Sacred Heart School, students` learning is supported through a variety of educational resources. We have a fully equipped science lab, a computer lab with over 30 computers and SMARTBoards in every classroom. Additionally, Sacred Heart works with the New York Philharmonic and Dancing Classrooms to promote student creativity. Before and after-school programs include chess, theater, dance, Science Club and art.
- For over 90 years, Sacred Heart has demonstrated its dedication to the children and families of Highbridge. From halls to horizons, the promise we see in our graduating students each year gives us tremendous hope for their future and the future of our world.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Bronx Grades: PK-8 | 591 students
1500 Arnow Avenue
Bronx, NY 10469
(718) 652-1830 4.7 PK-8
- New York Grades: K-8 | 270 students
570 W 175th Street
New York, NY 10033
(212) 795-1030 0.8 K-8
Whether you are just beginning the process of choosing a private school or several months into it, make sure that you keep these five 'must haves' front and center in your thinking.
Are charter schools private schools? What do vouchers have to do with private schools? Some answers here.
You cannot rank private schools. We explain why.