San Diego French American School
5.00 (4 reviews)
- San Diego French-American School (SDFAS) is a pre-elementary, kindergarten, and 1st through 8th grade school offering a French-American curriculum.
- The school prepares the students to enter a French, international, or an American high school.
- SDFAS is part of a network of 500 schools worldwide accredited by the French Ministry of National Education.
- It is also accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) and by the California Association of Independent Schools.
- It's a member of the National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS) and is affiliated with Mission Laique, AEFE, and AFSA. Multi-lingual. Multi-talented. World Ready.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)
California Association of Independent Schools (CAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-8|
|Total Students||358 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 43%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||39 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||9:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||15 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$15,550|
|Tuition Notes||PK0 (2 yrs) - $16,450 + 775 fees PK1,PK2 & K & 1-5th: 15,550 + 775 fees 6th - 8th: 14,250 + 900 fees|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$4,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Virginia Berracasa|
|Admissions Associate||Babeth Esterly|
|Total Sports Offered||3 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, VolleyballBasketball, Cross Country,|
- Accelerated math curriculum
- Full time or part time pre-elementary school program starting at age 2
- Individualized programs to challenge students
- French as a Foreign Language or English as a Foreign Language classes for beginners, grade 1 and up
- Extended Day Care
- Hot lunch service
- After School Activities
- Children do not have to speak French at home to be considered for admission.
- Saturday School for classes in Chinese, Spanish, Italian and French for students not enrolled at SDFAS.
Profile last updated: 01/28/2016
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- San DiegoGrades: PK-5 | 182 students
3219 Clairemont Mesa Blvd
San Diego, CA 92117
- La JollaGrades: KG-8 | 238 students
2390 Nautilus St
La Jolla, CA 92037
- La JollaGrades: NS-12 | 1155 students
9490 Genesee Avenue
La Jolla, CA 92037
- La JollaGrades: NS-8 | 230 students
2225 Torrey Pines Lane
La Jolla, CA 92037
- San DiegoGrades: K-6 | 153 students
3975 Torrington Street
San Diego, CA 92130
My kids have been in the SDFAS since preschool, one of them has graduated last year and is now at La Jolla High. Not only has it been a nurturing and highly academic environment but we also felt supported at every step (we are not french speakers). As a result of my children are very aware about other cultures, have inquisitive minds and are good kids. The classes are small so their relationships are very close and they feel like they matter (and are not only a number). My son had no problem transitioning to La Jolla High, was placed on some advance classes and has no problem getting A's. Best decision we made!!
- Posted by Parent - tande
SDFAS is an outstanding school. The classes are small, the teachers are great and the school community very close. I love that my sons are learning in two languages and are exposed to a very international culture. They have been at the school for 7 years, and it is wonderful to watch them grow in this nurturing, yet highly stimulating and challenging environment. In a world that is becoming more international by the second, I believe that the education that SDFAS provides is about as close to ideal as you can get.
- Posted by Parent - bertr
My children (preschool age) have both started school at San Diego French American school over the past 2 years. We love it!! My husband and I lived in France for a year in college and it was an amazing experience we wanted to share with our children. SDFAS is a truly international community. Not only do the kids learn french (without an accent), but they are also exposed to new friends and different viewpoints from all over the world. Another thing we love at the school - all the lesson plans are amazing and specific to different educational goals. The day is quite structured, but the lesson plans include a variety of activities (i.e. pre-reading, math, science experiments, gardening, art, cooking and obstacle courses). I cannot recommend this school highly enough!!!
- Posted by Parent - vanha
We love SDFAS! We started in Kindergarten and were warmly welcomed into the school community by a core group of families that had been here through preschool. Not speaking French at home has made it really fun to hear our son speak. This isn't high school French- it's the real deal. The school is excellent, the families and community around it are awesome, and hearing 4-5 different languages as parents drop off their kids changes the elementary school experience. It's been wonderful and we're excited about the years ahead! Join Us!
- Posted by Parent - tobin
October 18, 2017
The Seattle area is home to many fine private schools as well as to major companies such as Microsoft, Boeing and Starbucks.
September 30, 2017
Scandals in private school are bound to raise questions for those of us thinking about sending our children to private school. Regardless of how sensational these scandals may appear, they are actually few and far between.
September 29, 2017
Parents have many reasons for deciding to take their children out of public school and enrolling them in private school. This circumstance is something which can happen at any stage of your child's education.