- It's where the energetic one has the time and space to get up and go, and the curious one finds the inspiration to embark on an epic quest. It's where the always-singing-and-dancing one takes the stage for the first time, and the playful one powers on not only his computer but his imagination, and brings a toy to life. The bright one, the quiet one, the wise one, the one who always sits in the back of the class, the one who sits up front, the doer, the dreamer, the thinker, the leader. Whoever you are, whatever you love, wherever you want to go, there's a special place for you to learn and grow. Sewickley Academy.
- For who you are. For who you will become.
- Founded in 1838, Sewickley Academy is the oldest coeducational, independent, private school in Pittsburgh.
- A college-preparatory day school located approximately 12 miles northwest of Pittsburgh, Sewickley Academy enrolls approximately 620 students in prekindergarten through grade 12.
- All grades are located on a single 16-acre campus, with an additional 14 acres nearby containing athletic fields and tennis courts.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Pennsylvania Association of Independent Schools (PAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost Notes||Varies on the program or course offered|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Total Students||599 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 23%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||91 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||15 students|
|Number of AP Courses||13 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Average SAT score||1311|
|Average ACT score||29|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Dress Code available on our website)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Feb. 20 / rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Varies on Grade Level|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$12,587|
|Admissions Director||Andrew McMillen|
|Admissions Associate||Jayme Thompson|
|Total Sports Offered||15 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Diving, Field Hockey, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Track and FieldBaseball, Basketball,|
Cheering, Cross Country,
Diving, Field Hockey,
Golf, Ice Hockey,
Track and Field
Sewickley Academy: At a Glance
As Pittsburgh's oldest co-educational, college preparatory, independent, private day school, Sewickley Academy prepares students for a lifetime of success by inspiring them to reach their full potential as curious, courageous, and compassionate learners. Exceptional programs, small classes, and talented faculty help our students become conscientious leaders, critical thinkers, and responsible members of a global community.
- Average class size is 15 students
- Student to teacher ratio is approximately 7:1
- Experienced, caring teachers, 57% with advanced degrees
- All faculty and staff participate in annual professional development
- 100% of graduates continue their education at a four-year college or university
- 92% of the Class of 2019 was admitted to a top-choice college or university
- In the last 4 years, over 40% of Academy graduates have been recognized as an AP Scholar by the College Board
- The SAT average for the Classes of 2016 - 2019 is 1285. This is 218 points above the national SAT average. The SAT average for the Class of 2019 is 1311. This is 243 points above the national SAT average!
- 60 classrooms, 9 science labs, 5 computer labs, 2 robotics labs, 2 libraries with a total of 33,600 volumes, 2 student publishing centers, 1 digital design lab, and a media center
- 5 tennis courts, 4 athletic fields including a turf field, 2 gymnasiums, and a fully-equipped fitness center that support our 22 varsity teams
- 2 greenhouses and a school garden that creates an outdoor classroom and experiential learning center
- Arts programs are supported by visual and performing art studios, music practice rooms, a black-box theater with seating for approximately 130, Rea Auditorium with 570 seats, and the Campbell Art Gallery
- Mission and Core Values that center on the potential of every child
- Emphasis on developing students' leadership and communication skills
- A Community of Respect pledge and Honor Code that set a high standard of behavior
- Bus transportation offered to many areas in the region
- $2.3 million in financial aid to assist families who qualify; approximately 23% of students receive financial aid
- Home to Breakthrough Pittsburgh (formerly Summerbridge Pittsburgh), the national award-winning program with core values of high expectations, academic success, and personal mastery for students with limited opportunities
- A highly diverse student body from 41 school districts in Pennsylvania, Ohio, and West Virginia
- Approximately 33% of the student body is Asian and East Indian, Latin, or African American.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Baden Grades: 9-12 | 146 students
200 Quigley Drive
Baden, PA 15005
(724) 869-2188 7.9 9-12
Sixth year for my two sons - simply the best investment I''ve ever made. Nurturing and diverse environment, rigorous but supportive classroom culture, my sons have blossomed at this school. No, it isn't cheap, but in this case you get what you pay for and more. The consistent theme I''ve heard from parents whose children have graduated from SA is that the payback comes when you see your children thrive in college and beyond. For my family, we see the paback in our son's growth today. Check out the school and you''ll beglad that you did so.
- Posted by Parent - jrile
We chose Sewickley Academy for our children when we moved to the area 5+ years ago and couldn't be more pleased! The teachers are fabulous, the academics rigorous but doable, the college guidance second to none and for a small school SA offers a tremendous amount of athletic, arts and extracurricular opportunities. Three of my favorite things about the school are 1) you don't have to choose a focus (academics, athletics, arts etc.) as you can truly experience it all, 2) the culture of kindness and support among the students (there is no class ranking or cut-throat competition), and 3) the one campus for pre-K - 12 which allows all levels to interact with each other. Would highly recommend you take a look for your children as it is a very worthwhile investment!
- Posted by Parent - milok
Sewickley Academy has exceeded my family's expectations of what a Private school is about and what it can do for our children. Not only is the academic program exceptional, the Teachers are all dedicated, creative and talented in their classroom. Teamwork seems to be the theme between parents, children and teachers. A great environment for academic and social growth.
- Posted by Parent - georg
Choosing Sewickley Academy as our children's high school was a great decision. Along with the college prep classes and college scheduling (block schedules), SA provides the perfect atmosphere for the student, no matter what their interests. Whether it is the arts, music, sports or a combination, there is a place for that student. I love that through extra curricular clubs, students are taught philanthropy. We are a sports family and the teams are highly ranked. Yet, there is a no cut policy, so everyone is included! We also love the college guidance program.
- Posted by Parent - Jmatt
I have 4 children at Sewickley Academy and could not be happier. The lower school is nurturing while introducing the children to an academic environment. The middle school is a great transition, teaching students to think for themselves and the high school has been an amazing preparation for college. In addition, the college counselors were fantastic and helped my daughter find a school that was a perfect fit for her.
- Posted by Parent - kguer
1. Great education programs with strong curriculum 2. Prepares them well for college 3. They develop a strong work ethic that is helpful in college 4. Students are more confident in their approach 5. There is diversity in school that helps strengthen the appreciation of other cultures and traditions 6. Teachers and staff are very receptive 7. Great communication between teachers and parents
- Posted by Parent - mongs
Sewickley Academy is a great match for any student, providing an academically challenging environment and exceptional teachers who are dedicated to teaching and knowledgeable in their subjects.
- Posted by Parent - chris
My son started at Sewickley Academy in 2008 for his 2nd grade year. He is now in 8th grade and we are so happy that we chose the Academy. The education is top notch, the teachers truly care about the students, and the bond the kids have with each other is amazing. When I have questions, the administrators are always willing and able to speak with me. If you are looking for a school that offers a great education combined with individual attention for each student, Sewickley Academy is a perfect choice.
- Posted by Parent - Hespe
We have been so pleased with our choice to educate our children at Sewickley Academy. We are seeing our children thrive, excel, and grow academically, socially, and through their involvement in sports, music, and art. They are truly fortunate to be at a school where they are encouraged, supported, praised, not only from the incredible faculty, but among their classmates! The camaraderie, support, and friendships are invaluable. Sewickley Academy is giving my children the confidence and the tools to bring out the best in themselves.
- Posted by Parent - mmyun