Learning is a lifelong process. Spectrum Progressive School has served the Rockford area since 1967, offering a genuine alternative to traditional education.
At Spectrum Progressive, we believe all children are unique.
We believe every child learns in a different way and every child has undiscovered gifts, talents, and potential.
We involve each student in a personalized, action-oriented curriculum throughout all developmental levels.
- School Type: School with Special Program Emphasis
- Grades: Prekindergarten-8
- Students: 84 students
- Average class size: 16 students
- Application Deadline: None / Rolling
School Membership(s)School Assoc.
Learning Difference Programs
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 34%
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
Average Class Size
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
None / Rolling
The goals of the curriculum are to:
- Allow children to develop, through active involvement, the skills of reasoning, planning, and problem-solving within and beyond the school setting;
- Allow students to develop secure self-concepts based on belief in their own abilities and firm foundations in the fundamentals of learning;
- Guide the children to direct exploration of the arts, literature, the accomplishments of civilizations and the diversity of cultural heritage;
Profile last updated: 06/15/2021
We love this school. My two kids can't wait to get to school in the morning. They learning environment is exceptional. The kids learn how to learn using a multiple intelligences approach. The 12:1 student/teacher ration is fantastic. My kids have increased their self-confidence and knowledge in an environment that values exploration, instead of learning by rote.
I just wanted to say I LOVE spectrum so much and we would be there if we hadn't moved to California. Miss the school and its amazing teachers and staff everyday! I recommend always when my friends in the area are searching. Every staff member and teacher works tirelessly to innovate and engage students always. Their dedication, passion and care and love for the kids is something very special that you do not see everyday. Amazing School!
Endorse Spectrum School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
Teen Travel In Uncertain Times
Most adults find traveling more complicated and challenging that it was pre-pandemic. We offer some suggestions for safe teen travel in these uncertain times.
Using Facebook, YouTube and Pinterest to Promote Your School
Social media is an effective marketing tool for your school. Here are some suggestions for using Facebook, YouTube and Pinterest.
Should Teachers Be Unionized?
One of the basic differences between private and public schools is the fact that most public school teachers belong to a union. Should teachers be unionized?