St. Marys School
5.00 (2 reviews)
- Known for its exceptional science and technology programs, St. Mary's School welcomes families from diverse backgrounds into its award-winning school community.
- Students in preK through 8th grade come from many cities in a 35-mile radius.
- Class sizes are small, and students receive personalized attention from teachers and staff.
- We offer a full range of special area classes for students in all grades, including art, music, PE, technology, library, and, in middle school, Project-based Learning.
- All grades, 1-8, offer one-to-one technology devices within the classroom.
St. Marys School places among the top 20% of private schools in Tennessee for:
- Category Attribute
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
- Extracurriculars Most extracurriculars offered
- School History Oldest founding date
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Catholic Educational Association (NCEA)|
|Religious Affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Mild learning differences (resource program only)|
|Awards||Blue Ribbon School - Selected in 2010|
|Total Students||185 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 15%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||20 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||9:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||18 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition support available|
|% on Financial Aid|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Darcy Welch|
|Total Sports Offered||7 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Golf, Soccer, Swimming, Track and Field, VolleyballBasketball, Cross Country,|
Swimming, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||15 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Challenge and Conquest Youth Group, Chess Club, Cub Scouts, Culinary Club, Girl Scouts, Lego Robotics Club, Science Bowl
Arts and Music Programs:
Clay and Pottery Club, Drama Club, Fantasy of Trees Club, Gingerbread Club, Orchestra
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Fall Soccer Club, Spring Basketball Club, Spring Volleyball Club
Nearby Private Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Oak Ridge Grades: K-12 | 68 students
535 Oak Ridge Tpk.
Oak Ridge, TN 37830
(865)481-2519 1.8 K-12
- Oak Ridge Grades: K-12 | 30 students
535 Oak Ridge Tpke
Oak Ridge, TN 37830
(865)481-2519 1.9 K-12
- Knoxville Grades: NS-K
10720 Virginia Pine Way
Knoxville, TN 37932
(865)531-9599 7.4 NS-K
I am the parent of three St. Mary's graduates who went on to high school very well prepared. I recall that, on several occasions, the high school teachers commented that students who come to them from St. Mary's school were, for the most part, more organized and had developed better study skills than those coming from other schools.
- Posted by Parent - joann
SMS is a wonderful school! Our teachers are supportive, and set the bar high for our children. SMS students work hard but play hard as well! We love having the Dominican Sisters of Saint Cecilia---their passion for Catholic education is contagious! Our science department is amazing--our elementary students have their own lab; our middle schoolers consistently do well at the regional science fair. 11 of 13 past Grand Champions of the Appalachian Regional Science Fair have come from SMS!
- Posted by Parent - kbell
You have just heard about a new private school opening soon in your area. Should you consider sending your child there? A look at the pros and cons of such a decision.
If you know the answers to all these questions, you probably teach or work in a private school. Be that as it may, these questions contain links with the answers.
As you evaluate schools, take time to explore fully what the schools which you are looking at teach.