St. Philomena School
- Top Ranked IL School
- Grades: Prekindergarten-8
- Enrollment: 457 students
- Average class size: 23 students
- Application Deadline: None / Rolling
- Source: Verified school update
Academics and Faculty
white or light blue polo shirt; navy pants; blue plaid jumpers K-5; blue plaid skirt 6-8
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
- Strong faith formation program which intertwines daily instruction, prayer, and reflection to deepen students' Catholic identity while increasing their awareness of different cultures and faith.
- K-8 Writing/Composition Program developed by and supported through the work of Lucy Calkins and the "Teachers Reading and Writing Project" of Teachers College Columbia University. Students in K-8 receive daily instruction and practice in writing, plus are exposed to a variety of literary genres.
- Strong Math program in which K-5th grade students receive the Math in Focus program (a Singapore Approach) and 6th-8th grade receive instruction in Pre-Algebra and Algebra.
- Illinois Virtual School is offered to qualifying middle school students in math.
- Technology embedded throughout the curriculum to maximize learning opportunities in all content areas. Supported through: a Technology Integration Specialist, 5 Computer on Wheels laptop mobile labs, 6 stationary computers/classroom, and RenWeb (a web-based system allowing parents to access lesson plans, homework, grades, announcements, etc.).
- Measures of Academic Progress standardized testing.
- New science lab is the foundation for the school's premier STEM (Science/Technology/Engineering/Mathematics) middle school instructional program.
- Using a curriculum developed by Lego Education, students in grades 1-8 actively engage in STEM based instruction. Elementary learners in grades 1-4 engage in WeDo Robotics through a cross-curricular set and series of theme-based activities in the areas of math, science, technology, and engineering, as well as language arts, literacy, and social studies. Upper elementary students in grades 5-8 engage in Mindstorms EV3 which enables students to build, program, and test their solutions based on real life robotics technology.
- IMSA FUSION is an after-school enrichment program for Illinois students who are talented, interested, and motivated in mathematics and science. In addition to the after school sessions, students also participate in related field trips, career webinars, and other enrichment activities. IMSA FUSION is designed for talented and motivated late elementary and middle level students who are committed to challenging themselves in mathematics and science. By design, the IMSA FUSION curriculum is inquiry based, problem centered, and integrative. The learning experiences focus on helping students "learn how to learn" and emphasize logic, mathematical thinking and experimental scientific thinking. Topics relate to the students' lives, thereby arousing their curiosity and increasing their motivation to learn in mathematics and science."
- Modified block scheduling for middle school students to provide a structure that increases student learning and helps develop key work habits, such as goal setting, planning, priortizing, and managing time.
Frequently Asked Questions
What sports does St. Philomena School offer?
St. Philomena School offers 6 interscholastic sports: Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Soccer, Track and Field and Volleyball.
What is St. Philomena School's ranking?
St. Philomena School ranks among the top 20% of private schools in Illinois for: Largest student body.
When is the application deadline for St. Philomena School?
The application deadline for St. Philomena School is rolling (applications are reviewed as they are received year-round).
Endorse St. Philomena School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards