- St. Stephen Martyr School opened its doors in 1926 to provide the families of Monterey Park with an opportunity for their children to receive a Catholic School education.
- Under the leadership of Fr. Michael Conneally, four classrooms were opened and staffed by the sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary.
- The school celebrated its first graduating class in 1928.The needs of the Catholic community in Monterey Park continued to grow.
- As a result, a new church and convent were built.
- New classrooms were added to the school until it became a fully enrolled 16-room school serving students in grades 1 through 8.
- front When the 16-room configuration was completed in 1964, the school served 743 pupils.
- By early 1980's, enrollment was approximately 600 students. St. Stephen Martyr uses a collaborative school model.
- Shared participation from stakeholders such as parents, students, and the community allow us to gather diverse input and buy-in.
- We have a formal Advisory School Board, Parent-Teacher-Organization, and Student Council.
- Shared governance is important in accessing the talents and skills of our community to promote the well-being of our students.
- At St. Stephen Martyr School, parents, teachers, students and staff form a learning and faith community committed to helping each student develop academic and communication skills, grow in understanding of Catholic faith, demonstrate Christ-like qualities of compassion, tolerance and respect, become life-long learners who demonstrate personal responsibility and commitment to the larger community.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Catholic Educational Association (NCEA)|
|Religious Affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Total Students||213 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 43%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||9 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||24:1
National avg.: 13:1
As a new family to this school, I have observed many great things happening. Most evident is the dedication and collaboration that is put into providing a nurturing and rigorous educational program for each student by all the teachers and principal. The small class size allows for maximum interaction between the teacher and student, assuring that our children get the assistance needed to excel and make great academic gains. I am excited to see the results of the new changes and programs being implemented for the next school year. Great job Father Leo, Mrs. Arellano and staff!!!
- Posted by Parent - moniv
Preschool teachers are very kind and professional. They really know how to teach the children well. My child really had a great time in their class. Ms. Jessica director if preschool is very good with the children and patient. She takes time to speak to parents about any concerns you may have. Fun learning environment.
- Posted by Parent - g.mue
May 26, 2017
When you apply for a position at a private school, you need to use a slightly different approach than you would use if you were applying for a sales job somewhere.
May 25, 2017
The admissions essay is an important part of your child's admissions profile. Noodle Pros essay expert Kate Fisher offers some valuable tips about writing the admissions essay.
May 25, 2017
Myths, urban legends and just plain misinformation abound concerning private schools. We shed some light on the facts you may not have known.