Terra Marin School
Terra Marin is a progressive K-8th program in Mill Valley led by an exemplary team of educators who guide their students through a diverse, highly academic, holistic and effective model focused primarily on the healthy social, emotional, mental, academic and physical growth of its students.
Having received waiver approval from the Marin County Department of Health , San Francisco Department of Health,and the state, Terra Marin has brought back all students preschool-8th grade for safe on campus learning as well as outdoor classes for our 5 full day outdoor Micro-School.
Since January, 2021, thier faculty and staff are COVID Vaccinated.
Under their strict re-opening safety plan, students are once again able to enjoy the high caliber academic and social emotional curriculum of this diverse and dynamic program.
Families have the option to attend in person in classes, synchronously online or join the innovative outdoor micro-school program based out of Marin County with 5 full days in the outdoors in nature (taking students to various Bay Area locations each week).
All programs were developed though a neuroscience lens, looking at the whole child and teaching each student at his/her level.
Terra Marin is a place where each child feels known and celebrated for his/her own unique strengths, feels safe to be him/herself and comfortable and confident to challenge themselves in all types of environments.
- Top Ranked CA School
- Grades: Prekindergarten-8
- Students: 141 students
- Yearly Tuition: $33,200
- Acceptance rate: 40%
- Average class size: 13 students
- Application Deadline: None / Rolling
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 48%
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
% Faculty w/Advanced Degree
Average Class Size
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
None / Rolling
Yearly Tuition Cost
% on Financial Aid
Average Financial Aid Grant
National avg.: 85%
- Terra Marin School (TMS) was founded by Wendy Xa, also the founder of several other popular Mandarin immersion preschools including most recently Terra Mandarin Preschool in Marin. She opened the doors of TMS to new students in September 2018. Her journey to begin TMS began the day she gave birth, 13 years ago. After an extensive search for the right fit for her daughter (and not finding one), Wendy decided she would start her own school in San Francisco. Despite the school's success, she decided to open another school that would focus on more then just Mandarin Immersion..it would celebrate each child's individuality and gifts as informed by the layers of multiple intelligences, offer a connective and warm environment for all, and integrate Earth Education into every school day. Today, TMS is highly focused on encouraging the art of inquiry, where students are challenged not stressed and always embraced for their differences and unique potential.
Endorse Terra Marin School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
Understanding Private School Tuition
We look at why tuition costs vary so widely from school to school.
Books About Private School
What's private school really like? Find out from people who have been there.
You Won't Find....
You won't find several things in private schools which you will find in public schools.