Terra Marin School
Terra Marin School Photo #4 - Students learn from their environment outdoors with observational, real-life activities.
Terra Marin School Photo #5 - Our featured Mandarin program, which introduces students to Chinese culture, food, language, and much more.
Terra Marin School Photo #6 - Classes are meant to inspire discussion, open conversation, and higher level thinking at all levels.
Terra Marin School Photo #7 - Outdoor learning is explored nearby at beaches, mountains, and plains.
Terra Marin is a progressive K-8th program in Mill Valley led by an exemplary team of educators who guide their students through a diverse, highly academic, holistic and effective model focused primarily on the healthy social, emotional, mental, academic and physical growth of its students.
Having received waiver approval from the Marin County Department of Health , San Francisco Department of Health,and the state, Terra Marin has brought back all students preschool-8th grade for safe on campus learning as well as outdoor classes.
Since January, 2021, thier faculty and staff are COVID Vaccinated. Under their strict re-opening safety plan, students are once again able to enjoy the high caliber academic and social emotional curriculum of this diverse and dynamic program.
All programs were developed though a neuroscience lens, looking at the whole child and teaching each student at his/her level.
Terra Marin is a place where each child feels known and celebrated for his/her own unique strengths, feels safe to be him/herself, and is comfortable and confident to challenge themselves in all types of environments.
- Top Ranked CA School
- Grades: Prekindergarten-8
- Enrollment: 135 students
- Yearly Tuition: $38,300
- Acceptance rate: 40%
- Average class size: 11 students
- Application Deadline: Jan. 13
- Source: Verified school update
Terra Marin School ranks among the top 20% of private schools in California for:
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 48%
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
% Faculty w/Advanced Degree
Average Class Size
Classroom Dress Code
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
Yearly Tuition Cost
% on Financial Aid
Average Financial Aid Grant
National avg.: 85%
- Terra Marin School (TMS) was founded by Wendy Xa, also the founder of several other popular Mandarin immersion preschools including most recently Terra Mandarin Preschool in Marin. She opened the doors of TMS to new students in September 2018. Her journey to begin TMS began the day she gave birth, 13 years ago. After an extensive search for the right fit for her daughter (and not finding one), Wendy decided she would start her own school in San Francisco. Despite the school's success, she decided to open another school that would focus on more then just Mandarin Immersion..it would celebrate each child's individuality and gifts as informed by the layers of multiple intelligences, offer a connective and warm environment for all, and integrate Earth Education into every school day. Today, TMS is highly focused on encouraging the art of inquiry, where students are challenged not stressed and always embraced for their differences and unique potential.
Source: Verified school update
I am so grateful to the wonderful teachers and administration at Terra Marin School for creating a safe and positive learning environment for my son. The balance of high-quality academics and outdoor education has resulted in a kiddo who is excited to go to school, is focused, and shares what he is learning every day. In addition to core academics, the Mandarin, music, outdoor ed, and drama classes have far exceeded our expectations, and these quality classes are hard to find at any other Marin school. Small class sizes mean more 1:1 time with teachers and deeper learning. My son feels at home at TMS, and our family feels part of the welcoming community. I can't say enough good things about this school!
Endorse Terra Marin School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
A Timeline of Private School Events and History
What was the first private school? What's the oldest school? What are some of the educational philosophies commonly found? Some answers here.
Suicide Prevention: Caring For Our Young People
At last we have a dedicated phone number for suicide and crisis support. The Suicide and Crisis Lifeline is 988. More about it and suicide prevention here.
Seemingly never-ending school shootings prompted me to find out whether private schools were safer than public schools. Some answers and opinions on the matter here.