Marin Horizon School
5.00 (2 reviews)
- Our mission at Marin Horizon School is to challenge students to be self-reliant thinkers and lifelong learners.
- Through our Montessori-inspired, integrated and multi-cultural curriculum, we inspire academic excellence, nurture students' natural love of learning, and encourage them to be confident individuals who are responsible to each other, the community, and the world.
- We are located on two acres of land in Mill Valley, California, in a safe and friendly residential neighborhood in the redwoods of Mt. Tamalpais.
- We serve families from towns and cities throughout Marin County, San Francisco, and the North and East Bay areas.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
State or regional independent school association
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Mild to Moderate Learning Differences|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
Academics and Faculty
|Average Class Size||24 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 13 / rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition varies by grade. Please visit our website for details.|
|Admissions Director||Jacqueline Kurzer|
|Total Sports Offered||5 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Flag Football, Soccer, Track and FieldBasketball, Cross Country,|
Flag Football, Soccer,
Track and Field
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||7 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Capoeira, Chess, Cooking, Guitar|
Club or Organization:
Arts and Music Programs:
Drama, Visual Art
- Montessori-inspired, student-centered, experiential learning
- Integrated and inter-disciplinary curriculum with a multicultural and global focus
- Spiral curriculum introduces advanced topics at early ages
- Spanish classes, Kindergarten through 8th grade
- Integrated Technology curriculum with high iPad and computer-to-student ratios
- Media Literacy Program
- Artist-in-Residence Program
- Music and performing arts program, including 4 major performances a year
- Outdoor Education camp, 1st through 8th grades
- Leadership Development, K through 8th grades
- Strong emphasis on writing, public speaking, time-management, conflict resolution and research skills
- High school placement counseling and SSAT test preparation
- Self and peer assessment promote independence and critical thinking
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Corte Madera Grades: K-8 | 590 students
5221 Paradise Drive
Corte Madera, CA 94925
(415)927-5900 3.2 K-8
- Corte Madera Grades: PK-9 | 276 students
5200 Paradise Drive
Corte Madera, CA 94925
(415)924-5388 3.3 PK-9
Humanity is not thinking less of yourself but thinking of yourself less. Combining age appropriate philosophy, logic, moral education, and community service might add up an education in being a humanitarian. Or you could send a child to Marin Horizon and watch them grock it and rock it. Let`s all rock our humanity!
- Posted by Parent - Eli
The third grade was our first year, then fourth, and now fifth. When we moved to the area from the East Coast and shortly thereafter started school, we arrived to some school events a bit after they had started. Around the third time running late, I sighed to a parent, "We're the late family," to which he replied with a smile, "So, are we going to start labeling, now?" The wisdom in his warmth signaled to me that we were in a special place. Since then, I have grown used to a parent mentioning non-violent communication (also known as compassionate communication) or hearing a teacher-lecturer speak of labeling the behavior, not the child. The school seems to strike a common-sensical balance in so many realms (work/play; being little/growing up; independence/interdependence; events/breaks; strict education/social opportunities), and, in this busy world, our Marin Horizon students have taught us some practical mindfulness techniques. I get such a good sense and have a solid feeling of trust, having spent many a morning or an afternoon and having met most everyone, by now. The teachers are conversant in the whole child, even to the degree of keeping up with technology trends of Eighth Graders... and even to the degree of knowing that the whole child can be nurtured in the midst of family and community and found in broader community.Our child had been labeled (gifted- "twice exceptional") and we had labeled ourselves (privileged-"wage slaves").Yet no one had given us any concrete means of how, through school community, to use these products. Marin Horizon gave us that, also! I'd say it "upgraded" us or "evolved" us as a family and as conscious and engaged citizen-neighbors. I have to admit, I am very proud to be a Marin Horizon parent!
- Posted by Parent - Parent!
The Department of Homeland Security recently announced that it would enforce a 2017 policy of requiring visa applicants to list their social media handles. More about this and how it impacts international students wishing to attend American K-12 private schools.
We parents are responsible for expanding our children's horizons. We are responsible for showing and explaining things, concepts, and places they have never thought of. This article contains my roadmap for enriching your child's education.
This hub page lists over three dozen articles dealing with issues in high school such as academics and discipline.