Marin Country Day School
- Top Ranked CA School
- Grades: Kindergarten-8
- Students: 590 students
- Yearly Tuition: $29,000
- Average class size: 18 students
- Application Deadline: Jan. 10
Academics and Faculty
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
- In 1956 an adventurous group of parents and educators from Marin County and San Francisco joined together to found Marin Country Day School. They believed that learning is a joyous and lifelong process and that each child`s unique gifts should be nurtured. They valued equally the development of mind, body and spirit. The founders sought an environment that drew no attention to itself but was closely linked to nature; one that allowed room for study and laughter, noise and quiet, thought and action; where children would "fall in love with going to school." Perhaps most important, MCDS was founded by people who believed that members of a diverse school community could contribute immeasurably to the well-being of one another.
- A hallmark of the school from its inception has been its outstanding faculty. MCDS teachers are intelligent, warm and passionate men and women who constantly examine their practice to identify areas in which they can grow. MCDS is an adult-rich environment in which differences among children are valued; teachers serve as role models and work to support both personal and academic development. In a "broad and balanced" course of study, students find areas in which to excel and others in which they may have to struggle. The school seeks to provide a safe environment in which to strive and to soar. Teachers work collaboratively in developing an active program that encourages students to question, to reason and to make connections. The classroom atmosphere is highly participatory, with teachers acting as coaches who encourage students` exploration, discovery and reflection. The school believes that every student should have unusual opportunities to grow and thrive in and out of the classroom, and that boys and girls have much to learn from each other. Strong and enduring friendships are a tradition at MCDS. All students are encouraged to participate actively in every area of school life.
Endorse Marin Country Day School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards