- Marin Country Day School is an Independent K-8 coed day school enrolling 590 students at its 35-acre campus in the San Francisco Bay Area.
- The school's mission asks children to become skilled learners and ethical individuals, motivated to make a difference in the world.
- Our school is a community that inspires children to develop a love of learning, thoughtful perspectives and a diversity of skills; nurtures in each of them a deep sense of respect, responsibility and compassion; and challenges them to envision and work toward a better world.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
California Association of Independent Schools (CAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-8|
|Total Students||590 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 43%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||73 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||18 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 10|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$29,000|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition range is $750-$32,800|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$19,000|
|Admissions Director||Jamie M. Moffett|
|Admissions Associate||Kara Diaz|
|Total Sports Offered||5 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Soccer, VolleyballBaseball, Basketball,
Cross Country, Soccer,
- In 1956 an adventurous group of parents and educators from Marin County and San Francisco joined together to found Marin Country Day School. They believed that learning is a joyous and lifelong process and that each child`s unique gifts should be nurtured. They valued equally the development of mind, body and spirit. The founders sought an environment that drew no attention to itself but was closely linked to nature; one that allowed room for study and laughter, noise and quiet, thought and action; where children would "fall in love with going to school." Perhaps most important, MCDS was founded by people who believed that members of a diverse school community could contribute immeasurably to the well-being of one another.
- A hallmark of the school from its inception has been its outstanding faculty. MCDS teachers are intelligent, warm and passionate men and women who constantly examine their practice to identify areas in which they can grow. MCDS is an adult-rich environment in which differences among children are valued; teachers serve as role models and work to support both personal and academic development. In a "broad and balanced" course of study, students find areas in which to excel and others in which they may have to struggle. The school seeks to provide a safe environment in which to strive and to soar. Teachers work collaboratively in developing an active program that encourages students to question, to reason and to make connections. The classroom atmosphere is highly participatory, with teachers acting as coaches who encourage students` exploration, discovery and reflection. The school believes that every student should have unusual opportunities to grow and thrive in and out of the classroom, and that boys and girls have much to learn from each other. Strong and enduring friendships are a tradition at MCDS. All students are encouraged to participate actively in every area of school life.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
LarkspurGrades: NS-8 | 357 students
20 Magnolia Avenue
Larkspur, CA 94939
Mill ValleyGrades: PK-8 | 305 students
305 Montford Ave
Mill Valley, CA 94941
Mill ValleyGrades: K-8 | 242 students
100 Harvard Ave
Mill Valley, CA 94941
San RafaelGrades: K-9 | 231 students
755 Idylberry Rd
San Rafael, CA 94903
Daly CityGrades: PK-8 | 130 students
79 Florence St.
Daly City, CA 94014