Mount Tamalpais School
5.00 (1 review)
Mount Tamalpais School Photo #2 - Mount Tamalpais School is a co-educational day school enrolling children in Kindergarten through Grade 8. The school is dedicated to the active pursuit of knowledge, integrity, and fairness.
Mount Tamalpais School Photo #3 - Mount Tamalpais School believes in the joy of learning. We know that a happy student is a successful student. So we strive, every day, to give each child an opportunity to shine, to have fun, and be the best that he or she can be.
Mount Tamalpais School Photo #4 - Mt. Tamalpais School's physical education program is, in a word, fun. But it's also a carefully thought-out developmental program that builds physical fitness and athletic skills from Kindergarten through 8th grade. Starting with P.E. five times a week in the lower school, every child develops the skills and aptitude for lifelong fitness.
Mount Tamalpais School Photo #5 - MTS places an emphasis on a STEM-based curriculum. Simply put, STEM stands for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math. With smart boards in every classroom, laptops for every student, coding, 3D printers, and rigorous science lab work, MTS is second to none in this important facet of education.
Mount Tamalpais School Photo #6 - Our world languages department introduces students to Mandarin and Spanish in the lower school. Middle school students specialize in Mandarin or Spanish and also take Latin in seventh grade.
Mount Tamalpais School Photo #7 - The humanities program at MTS gives students an opportunity to discover the cultural richness of our world while promoting values of personal and social responsibility. By celebrating differences and recognizing similarities, students learn to look beyond themselves and value the contributions and perspectives of others.
Mount Tamalpais School Photo #8 - Students must navigate ever changing and complex social pathways between kindergarten and 8th grade. For some, forming strong bonds comes naturally, while, for others, it can be more challenging. With these differences and challenges in mind, MTS teachers have been trained in age appropriate social emotional learning programs that strengthen our grade level classroom communities.
Mount Tamalpais School Photo #9 - Our robust outdoor education program is a cornerstone of the MTS curriculum. Leaving the classroom for the natural world gives our students the tangible experience of being in nature, discovering ecosystems, seeing how things are interconnected, and understanding how the environment is influenced by humans.
Mount Tamalpais School Photo #10 - Mount Tamalpais School provides students with a solid academic, artistic, and athletic foundation to foster a lifelong passion for learning. Our departmentalized curriculum is structured so that teachers specialize in their particular areas of expertise and teach their subject at various grade levels, often in both the lower and middle school.
- MTS is committed to the development of knowledge and goodness within children in an academically inspiring and nurturing environment.
- An MTS education, vigorous, creative and process-driven, develops children who are well prepared for their future while remaining young at heart.
- We infuse the academic, artistic, and athletic programs with the values of kindness, integrity, respect, and self-reliance so that all students can fully realize their human potential.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Other school association(s)
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-8|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Total Students||234 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 44%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||43 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||25 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$33,400|
|Admissions Director||Amy Pearson|
|Endowment Size||$3.4 million|
|Total Sports Offered||4 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Track and Field, VolleyballBasketball, Cross Country,|
Track and Field, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||13 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Acronastics, Chess, Cooking, Golf, Impromptu Public Speaking, Intro to Coding, Jewelry Making, Table Tennis, Yoga and Meditation
Arts and Music Programs:
Beginning Voice, Dance, Multi Media Art, Music Lessons
- Mount Tamalpais School believes in the joy of learning. We know that a happy student is a successful student. So we strive, every day, to give each child an opportunity to shine, to have fun, and be the best that he or she can be. Whether in the classroom, on stage, or on the athletic field, MTS students gain confidence and self-knowledge-tools they`ll need to take on the challenges of life.
- Founded in 1976, the school provides students with a solid academic foundation, and fosters a genuine enthusiasm for learning through a departmentalized, integrated curriculum. Rather than a teacher assigned to teach an entire grade level, with students glued to their seats all day, our teachers teach a single subject, and students move from classroom to classroom. With educators practicing their passion, and students on the move every 40 minutes, energy levels remain high, and everyone-students and teachers alike-feels refreshed and eager to take on the next challenge.Students have access to the outdoors and nearby trails throughout their time at MTS. Field trips occur all through the year to local museums, the symphony, and other locations that extend the curriculum. Bus service is offered between the school and local communities, including San Francisco.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Corte Madera Grades: PK-9 | 276 students
5200 Paradise Drive
Corte Madera, CA 94925
(415)924-5388 3.2 PK-9
- Corte Madera Grades: K-8 | 590 students
5221 Paradise Drive
Corte Madera, CA 94925
(415)927-5900 3.1 K-8
What I admire most about MTS is how the school successfully balances and embraces its core traditions of fostering kindness, integrity, respect, and fairness, with its forward-thinking teaching methodologies. This philosophy distinguishes not only what MTS teaches in its forward-thinking STEM program, but what type of advanced techniques and tools it uses in its teaching, such as social-emotional learning. And through this marriage of core traditions with advanced teaching techniques, the school has fostered a respectful culture where kids become critical thinkers, explore boundaries, and take safe academic risks.
- Posted by Parent - Duncan
You have just heard about a new private school opening soon in your area. Should you consider sending your child there? A look at the pros and cons of such a decision.
If you know the answers to all these questions, you probably teach or work in a private school. Be that as it may, these questions contain links with the answers.
As you evaluate schools, take time to explore fully what the schools which you are looking at teach.