The Brighton School
- The Brighton School is an independent, non-profit K-12 school dedicated to the teaching of bright and talented students with dyslexia and/or other related learning differences.
- We are continually engaged in a pursuit of research, design, and implementation of proven academic programs and individualized strategies for these students.
- At The Brighton School we believe that all students can be successful, productive adults.
- Our school features two campuses to better meet the needs of these bright and talented students.
- The Partridge Campus for grades K-6 and the Parkmeadow Campus for grades 7-12.
- The Brighton School, K-12, assists students with dyslexia and related learning differences in achieving their full academic and personal potential.
- Through the pursuit and implementation of research-based instructional techniques, the school helps children grow intellectually, emotionally and socially.
|School Type||Special Education School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Southern Association Of Colleges And Schools (SACS)|
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Dyslexia|
|Total Students||207 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||35 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
- Since its conception in 1972, the Dyslexia Association of Greater Baton Rouge, Inc., dba The Brighton School identified that the educational needs of dyslexic children were not being met. Therefore, a small group of parents of children with dyslexia organized and provided a research based Saturday tutorial program under the direction of Dr. Charles Shedd, a clinical psychologist. The summer program began the following June. The association built and moved into its own facility in 1982. In 1999, the International Multisensory Structured Language Education Council accredited the Structured Language Arts Teacher Education Course. The fall of 2001 marked an expansion of Brighton with the Foundations Program. This early intervention program is for children ages 5-7 years of age. The Brighton School K-6 campus now offers four programs: Foundations, Lower and Upper Elementary and the Bridges to Success Summer Program. The Parkmeadow High School campus was opened in the fall of 2002. The high school offers a college preparatory curriculum in a small, structured school setting. The school`s primary focus is meeting the unique educational needs of students with dyslexia and related disorders. These students benefit from the small class size and structured environment. This campus offers classes for students in grades 7-12. A 15-member Board of Directors governs the Association. The Executive Director and the administrative team are responsible for implementing Board policies and directives, and overseeing the operations for the schools and their principals. The Home and School Association, Athletic Booster Club and other volunteers are involved in many aspects of the campus life that enhance the programs at the school. These very unique school programs fill a critical need for students in our community and surrounding areas. The curriculum and methodology are based on the latest findings of ongoing research sponsored by the National Institutes of Child Health and Development. This same research documents that 15% to 20% of students have dyslexia and other related learning differences and many will have difficulty achieving academic success in a traditional classroom. Yet, these intelligent and creative students have the potential to be future leaders of our community.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Baton Rouge Grades: PK-12 | 1274 students
5750 Parkview Church Rd
Baton Rouge, LA 70816
(225)291-2500 0.5 PK-12
- Baton Rouge Grades: PK-5 | 286 students
445 Convention St.
Baton Rouge, LA 70802
(225)344-0805 8.9 PK-5
- Baton Rouge Grades: 1-12 | 52 students
17017 Florida Blvd
Baton Rouge, LA 70819
(225)272-5592 5 1-12
- Denham Springs Grades: K-6 | 342 students
7100 Amite Church Rd
Denham Springs, LA 70706
(225)665-2060 10.6 K-6
- Baton Rouge Grades: PK-5 | 183 students
3550 Morning Glory Ave
Baton Rouge, LA 70808
(225)387-0398 6.6 PK-5
June 20, 2018
You would think it would be easier to get your child into an elementary or primary school than into a prep school. But in fact it is almost as complicated.
June 07, 2018
If you have the chance to move overseas, don't worry about educating your children. You have several options.
May 10, 2018
Sending your child to a single-sex school is one of several options you have when it comes to private schools.