The Family School
- The Family School is an accredited independent nonprofit co-educational preschool through 5th grade school located in the beautiful Santa Ynez Valley, 6 miles from the center of Los Olivos.
- Serving close to 90 students, The Family School provides challenging, developmentally appropriate academic and artistic programs that establish a strong educational foundation and inspire a love of learning.
- A low student/teacher ratio (12:1) provides individual attention for each child and fosters close, caring relationships between and among teachers and students.
- The curriculum design assures that students master the basic skills of reading, writing, and mathematics, and that their studies are authentic and meaningful.
- Science (including hands-on ecology and environmental studies), Spanish, physical education, art, musical theater, and social studies, taught by specialty teachers, are integrated into the school week across the grade levels providing a broad enriched program.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||California Association of Independent Schools (CAIS)|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-5|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||84 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 44%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||9 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||9:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||10 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|% on Financial Aid|
The Family School believes that children are born eager to learn, and that given the proper tools, will continue to seek out knowledge all their lives. The school supports our students' joy of learning by creating an enthusiastic and safe learning environment. Our teachers cultivate curiosity, encourage participation in a wide range of activities, and provide the foundation and time for children to make powerful connections. The entire school community demonstrates respect for each individual in an atmosphere of trust and alliance.
The Family School is dedicated to:
- The education of the whole child: physical, emotional, intellectual, and social.
- The nurturing of the child's positive self-image and self-respect in an atmosphere of trust and dignity, instilling self-discipline, and engendering respect for others;
- The development of the child's critical and creative thinking processes for problem solving, conflict resolution, tolerance, understanding, and effective communication;
- Working together with families and encouraging parent participation in both the school and the child's learning experience.
Profile last updated: