- Founded in 1932, Midland School is a coeducational college preparatory boarding school for grades 9-12 set on a 2,860 acre property in beautiful Santa Barbara County.
- The school combines rigorous academics with intensive immersion in the environment, and maintains a commitment to authentic student leadership, simplicity, self-reliance, and environmental stewardship.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)
National Association of College Admissions Counselors
California Association of Independent Schools (CAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Total Students||80 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 43%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||20 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||4:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||10 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||American Studies, Art, Biology, Calculus, English 12, Physics, Spanish|
|Average SAT score||1220|
|Average ACT score||25|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Feb. 15 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$46,200|
|Tuition Notes||boarding only|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$28,850|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Tim Weir|
|Admissions Associate||Cierra Ensign|
|Total Sports Offered||5 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Soccer, Softball, VolleyballBasketball, Cross Country,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||10 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Common Ground Service Club, Cooking, Drama, Environmental Advisory Board, Equestrian Program, Garden, Mindfullness & Meditation, Strength and Conditioning, Student Council, Yoga & Pilates Cooking, Drama, Garden, Yoga & Pilates, Common Ground Service Club,
Environmental Advisory Board,
Mindfullness & Meditation,
Strength and Conditioning,
Midland School is a community of students, teachers, and families in pursuit of academic excellence and moral lives. We are guided by the following precepts:
- The essential ingredients of learning are a student, teacher, and an idea.
- A high quality college preparatory education should be accessible to families of all economic means.
- A simple, self-reliant lifestyle, close to nature, teaches us to develop our inner resources, to distinguish between needs and wants, and to appreciate life's fundamental joys and challenges.
- A school community entrusting students with authentic leadership roles, emphasizing individual and collective responsibility, and relying on its own work to meet its basic needs, prepares students to take care of themselves and to serve others.
- Connection to the environment, through academic education and everyday example, teaches students to be good stewards of the earth.