Oak Grove School
5.00 (4 reviews)
Oak Grove School Photo #2 - Oak Grove offers a rich academic experience that taps into your interests and natural creativity. The junior high faculty team consists of two core homeroom teachers in Humanities and Science/Math, a dedicated Advisory teacher, and specialists in Spanish, Art, Music, and Physical Education. Your classes will challenge and support you to develop intellectually, artistically, emotionally, physically, ethically and socially.
Oak Grove School Photo #3 - Within a safe, supportive, non-competitive environment our elementary students actively wonder, reflect, explore ideas, develop skills, and grow intellectually, socially and emotionally. Above, fourth grade students take a nature walk through the Ojai Valley Land Conservancy Meadow, adjacent to our 150-acre campus.
Oak Grove School Photo #4 - In Oak Grove's Preschool Program, an environment is created where learning takes place naturally and intellectual growth flourishes, but is never forced. Through stories, art, nature, indoor and outdoor activities and movement, children are supported as they explore their world and become more independent. (Oak Grove is a PK-12 program.)
Oak Grove School Photo #5 - At Oak Grove High School preparing for college also means tapping into your interests, exploring your natural creativity, and developing lifelong practices of intellectual discipline, good communication, self-reflection, understanding, and clear thinking.
Oak Grove School Photo #6 - Elementary students supplement academic courses with biweekly specialist-led study of art, music, and horticulture. Drawing, printmaking, painting, woodworking, computer graphics, ceramics, photography, Orff-Schulwerk instrumental and vocal music, and dramatic arts are a few of the courses available.
Oak Grove School Photo #7 - All elementary students help work our organic gardens seeing food go from garden to kitchen in our vegetarian hot lunch program. Children also participate in the Once Upon a Watershed program and make frequent use of local hiking trails in the adjacent Ojai Meadows Preserve.
Oak Grove School Photo #8 - Times of change present tremendous opportunities for academic and social learning, for personal growth, and passage from one stage of life to another. As a school that serves students from preschool through to high school graduation, we honor those times of change that are particularly transformational. Students gather at our outdoor pavilion to witness these important transitions.
Oak Grove School Photo #9 - Oak Grove School is a member of the Condor League, a local league that includes Thacher, Cate, Midland, Laguna Blanca, Ojai Valley School, Dunn and Besant Hill. Oak Grove competes each season in a variety of sports including girls' and boys' soccer, girls' and boys' volleyball and other club sports such as tennis, basketball, track and field, and more.
Oak Grove School Photo #10 - A traditional education that simply requires students to take in information and retain it for testing just won't do. We are increasingly called upon to recognize ourselves as members of an interdependent world community with responsibilities to the whole, not just our small part. As our founder J. Krishnamurti pointed out, "we are the world."
- Oak Grove School was founded in 1975 by Jiddu Krishnamurti, a renowned teacher of the 20th century whose educational philosophy focused on academically strong, inquiry-based learning in a noncompetitive environment, respect for the nature and an understanding of one's self and the global community.
- The intent of the Oak Grove School is for students to develop the skills necessary to function in society, and at the same time to develop a foundation for inquiry into perennial questions of human life. Small classes in a natural environment are guided by experienced teachers who encourage discovery and inquiry while supporting exceptional academic, creative and personal growth.
- Oak Grove School is a visual oasis, a peaceful, yet dynamic environment rich with opportunities for traditional and non-traditional learning.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Independent Private Schools Association|
Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost||$500|
|Summer Program Cost Notes||Please see our website for summer programs. Cost varies based on program|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Total Students||219 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 44%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||30 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||16 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Average SAT score||1350|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$18,000|
|Tuition Notes||Please see tuition and fee schedule on website as tuition varies by program; $10,000-20,000 for day students Pk-12. Family Style Boarding: $47,000|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$2,500|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Krista Swanner|
|Admissions Associate||Brittany Parish|
|Total Sports Offered||4 sports|
|Sports||Cross Country, Dance, Soccer, VolleyballCross Country, Dance,|
- Oak Grove students learn to use their minds, their bodies, and their hearts well because the overarching themes expressed in the Art of Living and Learning are embedded in the school`s culture, curriculum, classroom practice, and expectations of student learning.
- The Art of Inquiry
- observation questioning fact-finding research self-reflection
- The Art of Communication
- speaking writing listening collaboration
- The Art of Academia
- knowledge and application of academic standards, conventions, and disciplines in core subject areas
- The Art of Engagement
- attention self-direction self-motivation self-regulation metacognition or learning how one learns examining one`s own thinking
- The Art of Aesthetics
- sensitivity and appreciation of beauty in all forms finding the artist within artistic expression
- The Art of Caring & Relationship
- Self: self-understanding and awareness making healthy choices
- Others: self-reflection and awareness in relationship non-violent communication service to the common good
- Local & Global Communities: service and citizenship
- The Environment: mindful stewardship
- Oak Grove School is a living, learning community and therefore these "arts" should not be perceived as fixed but dynamic in nature and in a constant state of review.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Ojai Grades: 9-12 | 250 students
5025 Thacher Road
Ojai, CA 93023
(805)640-3210 5.8 9-12
- Ojai Grades: 9-12 | 240 students
12096 N Ventura Avenue
Ojai, CA 93023
(805)646-1464 1.1 9-12
- Carpinteria Grades: 9-12 | 280 students
1960 Cate Mesa Road
Carpinteria, CA 93013
(805)684-4127 11.6 9-12
I attended Oak Grove for my entire PK-12 schooling. Oak Grove challenged me differently than other schools challenged my friends. Yes, the academic demand was present, but OGS was more than about academic success. It challenged me to be a part of a community, to expand the limits of what I challenged myself to learn, and to challenge my own beliefs in order to grow. Oak Grove influenced my life in a way that I am thankful for that every day.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Drew Swanner
Transfering from a large public school, Oak Grove was a breath of fresh air, literally. Immediately I felt at home in this incredible community. The small and intimate class sizes allowed for profound and deep thinking. As a current college student, I feel confident asking questions and speaking out in class when many of my peers do not. I will always cherish my time at Oak Grove, because I believe that it is the reason I am where I am today.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - shan
My son has attended Oak Grove School for the last six years. The learning environment is very supportive of the individual needs of each student while balancing the overall needs of the group. I have watched my son's love of learning grow as his education progresses. I am happy to be a part of the Oak Grove community.
- Posted by Parent - j_ste
Oak Grove School has been the best for our son. He began in junior high and is now in high school. The academics are balanced and engaging, the camping, sports, art, and music are spectacular. Finally, the beautiful campus and sense of community make this a unique place. I highly recommend it.
- Posted by Parent - andre
Signs that your school might be failing don't suddenly appear all at once like a flashing neon sign. Instead, they appear gradually over weeks, months, and years. We explore the warning signs and offer some suggestions to mitigate them.
The SSAT’s questions are different than questions on other standardized tests. Make sure you learn about the best SSAT test prep programs out there.
Bullying lurks everywhere. Learn the warning signs and how to protect your child.