Besant Hill School
5.00 (2 reviews)
Besant Hill School Photo #3 - Socratic teaching and emphasis on experiential learning create a stimulating environment where students learn how to think, not what to think.
Besant Hill School Photo #4 - Students on a science class field trip to a local beach is part of our Aun Aprendo Experience. Aun Aprendo, our school motto that means "I am still learning," is the basis of the opportunities provided to students for learning outside of the classroom.
Besant Hill School Photo #5 - Art class in our beautiful atelier. Visual arts courses include film, photography, painting, drawing, ceramics, printing, and more. Students benefit from field trips to local art galleries and museums in Los Angeles and Santa Barbara.
Besant Hill School Photo #6 - Our performance hall, the Zalk Theater, hosts school plays, musicals and concerts. It is also where we gather three times a week for our tradition of all school assemblies.
Besant Hill School Photo #7 - A typical lunchtime meal includes organic, seasonal produce provided by an on-campus farm which also allows for unique student learning opportunities and special collaboration between Besant Hill's executive chef and farmer.
Besant Hill School Photo #8 - Athletics and physical activity are integral parts of student life at Besant Hill School. We strive to provide meaningful athletic activities that will instill a passion for lifelong health and wellness in our students.
Besant Hill School Photo #9 - The Doornink Grove student and faculty housing overlooks an eight-acre farm and are a short walk from classrooms.
- Founded in 1946 by Annie Besant, Aldous Huxley, J Krishnamurti, Guido Ferrando, Robert Logan, Louis Zalk and Rosalind Rajagopal on 520 acres in the resort town of Ojai, California this boarding school community offers a rigorous college preparatory curriculum with a cornerstone on creative expression, sustainability and divergent thinking.
- Besant Hill offers 20+ art electives, competitive and noncompetative athletics, travel and experiential education programs, small classes and a 4:1 student teacher ratio.
|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)
California Association of Independent Schools (CAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||All|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost Notes||8000 ESL 6200 SAT Prep|
|Total Students||108 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 44%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||25 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||4:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||10 students|
|Number of AP Courses||12 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||Biology, Calculus, Economics, English, Environmental Science, Government, Human Geography, Physics, Spanish, Statistics, U.S. History|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Feb. 1 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$51,510|
|Tuition Notes||23900 Day 58140 International|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$11,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Kristen Kaschub|
|Admissions Associate||Terra Furguiel|
|Endowment Size||$2 million|
|Total Sports Offered||6 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Golf, Soccer, Swimming, VolleyballBasketball, Cross Country,|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||17 extracurriculars|
Club or Organization:
Environmental Club, Gardening, Golf, Radio, Student Government, Volunteer
Arts and Music Programs:
Dance, Media Team, Music, Theater, Visual Art
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Crossfit, Outdoor Education, Swimming, Weightlifting, Yoga
- As a community, our goal is to cultivate what is excellent in each student. Besant Hill School provides a small intimate learning environment where students are able to fully explore and express both their intellectual and creative abilities. With small classes, positive student/teacher relationships, and a quiet, rural location, we provide a safe and peaceful atmosphere for learning, study, contemplation, and self-expression. The mission of Besant Hill School is the development of each individual's intellectual and artistic abilities. Through awakening the spirit of inquiry, we encourage each student to pursue integrity and excellence. Our non-competitive community builds honesty, respect, compassion and responsibility. Our goal is to develop a lifelong habit of learning as embodied in our school's motto "Aun Aprendo", I am still learning.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Ojai Grades: 9-12 | 257 students
5025 Thacher Road
Ojai, CA 93023
(805)640-3210 7 9-12
- Ojai Grades: 9-12 | 220 students
12096 N Ventura Avenue
Ojai, CA 93023
(805)646-1464 2.3 9-12
- Carpinteria Grades: 9-12 | 297 students
1960 Cate Mesa Road
Carpinteria, CA 93013
(805)684-4127 11.3 9-12
Besant Hill School has been an outstanding place for my son to attend high school. He was given a 1st class academic education, along with exposure to other cultures, arts and support in his development as a young man in today's world. He is ready to head off to college with as a confident, secure individual. Thank you to all the wonderful staff and teachers at BHS!
- Posted by Parent - terra
The most caring environment. You can be whoever you are without being judged, and love is unconditional at Besant Hill. Support is always available. The best place in the world, and I 100% believe that
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Mark.
Sooner or later you ought to consider a single-sex school as opposed to a traditional coeducational school. Why? For several reasons.
We look at several ways you can use to search for private schools. Whether you are beginning the search process for a school for your child or just want to find out more about particular schools, we offer some tips and tricks to make searching more efficient.
Choosing a private school is a process with many parts to it. It also takes 18-24 months to complete. This collection of articles deals with the first part of the process in which you begin to look at private schools and what they offer.