The Harker School Lower School
5.00 (1 review)
- Founded in 1893, The Harker School offers a coed, independent program for students in K-grade 12 on four beautiful campuses in the heart of Silicon Valley.Harker is one of the top prep schools in the nation and the largest K-12 independent school in the state, and its upper school sends its graduates to the finest universities and colleges in the country.
- Students reach their full potential through small class sizes, performance placement at most grade levels, integration of state-of-the-art technology at all grade levels, AP and honors offerings, a full-time counseling staff and highly qualified faculty.
- Harker is a dynamic community that honors individuality, embraces diversity and prepares students to take their places as global citizens.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
State or regional independent school association
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-5|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost Notes||Summer program costs vary by number of weeks enrolled, full-day, half-day and morning only options|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Total Students||2,048 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 45%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||64 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||32:1|
National avg.: 13:1
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$39,000|
|Admissions Director||Diann Chung|
|Total Sports Offered||10 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Flag Football, Golf, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Track and Field, Volleyball, Water PoloBaseball, Basketball,|
Flag Football, Golf,
Swimming, Track and Field,
Volleyball, Water Polo,
- The Harker School believes it is responsible for fostering academic excellence, self-discovery and personal integrity.
- Our student body reflects the diverse Bay Area population, where each individual benefits from the intellectual, ethical and cultural strengths of the community.
- Clear expectations, and rules and consequences create a learning environment that promotes self-discipline and responsibility.
- Outstanding faculty and small class sizes are essential components of The Harker School.
- Academic specialists make the most effective teachers and beginning with the primary level, these trained specialists teach all subjects including science, foreign language, music, drama, dance, technology, physical education, library skills and art.
- State of the art facilities and the best resources are an integral part of the stimulating, inspirational and safe learning environment.
- Our curriculum is challenging, and constantly evolving to meet the needs of students.
- Through comprehensive teaching techniques and support systems we address individual student needs.
- We empower students to discover and develop their personal academic and extra curricular strengths; leadership, service, ethics and physical health are important elements of our curricular design.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- San Jose Grades: PK-8 | 153 students
1175 Hillsdale Avenue
San Jose, CA 95118
(408)269-2222 5.4 PK-8
- San Jose Grades: NS-4
4949 Harwood Road
San Jose, CA 95124
(408)723-0111 4.3 NS-4
- San Jose Grades: K-8 | 607 students
2278 Booksin Ave
San Jose, CA 95125
(408)723-7223 4.1 K-8
We have had two children at Harker for 6 years, now, and are happy with the overall experience. Administration seems largely even handed; our kids have friends and socialize away from school with them. Academically, the classes keep moving forward and when our kids work hard (notes, homework, textbooks, study guides all complete) they get good grades, when they let things slide, grades slide, so perfect situation to train them to be ready for high school and college. I have never seen or heard of an instance of bullying in person or from my kids, and the after school staff is headed by full time employees who are committed to doing a good job. Administrators and teachers are generally very kindly and clearly care about children. Over all, five stars. Our kids will be totally ready for college when they graduate. For the record, Caucasian, many generations in America on one side, European immigrant on the other.
- Posted by Parent - J.C.
The Seattle area is home to many fine private schools as well as to major companies such as Microsoft, Boeing and Starbucks.
Religion is important to you. You want your children to be educated in a school where your religion matters.
The COVID-19 has turned our lives upside down. Sending your children back to school raises all sorts of concerns for their safety and education. We answer some of your questions here.