The Harker School Lower School
Founded in 1893, The Harker School offers a coed, independent program for students in K-grade 12 on four beautiful campuses in the heart of Silicon Valley.Harker is one of the top prep schools in the nation and the largest K-12 independent school in the state, and its upper school sends its graduates to the finest universities and colleges in the country.
Students reach their full potential through small class sizes, performance placement at most grade levels, integration of state-of-the-art technology at all grade levels, AP and honors offerings, a full-time counseling staff and highly qualified faculty.
Harker is a dynamic community that honors individuality, embraces diversity and prepares students to take their places as global citizens.
- Top Ranked CA School
- Grades: Nursery/Preschool-5
- Students: 2,048 students
- Yearly Tuition: $39,000
- Application Deadline: None / Rolling
School Membership(s)School Assoc.
Summer School Offered
Summer Program Cost Notes
Summer program costs vary by number of weeks enrolled, full-day, half-day and morning only options
Summer Program Details
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 48%
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
Finances and Admission
None / Rolling
Yearly Tuition Cost
Total Sports Offered
- The Harker School believes it is responsible for fostering academic excellence, self-discovery and personal integrity.
- Our student body reflects the diverse Bay Area population, where each individual benefits from the intellectual, ethical and cultural strengths of the community.
- Clear expectations, and rules and consequences create a learning environment that promotes self-discipline and responsibility.
- Outstanding faculty and small class sizes are essential components of The Harker School.
- Academic specialists make the most effective teachers and beginning with the primary level, these trained specialists teach all subjects including science, foreign language, music, drama, dance, technology, physical education, library skills and art.
- State of the art facilities and the best resources are an integral part of the stimulating, inspirational and safe learning environment.
- Our curriculum is challenging, and constantly evolving to meet the needs of students.
- Through comprehensive teaching techniques and support systems we address individual student needs.
- We empower students to discover and develop their personal academic and extra curricular strengths; leadership, service, ethics and physical health are important elements of our curricular design.
We have had two children at Harker for 6 years, now, and are happy with the overall experience. Administration seems largely even handed; our kids have friends and socialize away from school with them. Academically, the classes keep moving forward and when our kids work hard (notes, homework, textbooks, study guides all complete) they get good grades, when they let things slide, grades slide, so perfect situation to train them to be ready for high school and college. I have never seen or heard of an instance of bullying in person or from my kids, and the after school staff is headed by full time employees who are committed to doing a good job. Administrators and teachers are generally very kindly and clearly care about children. Over all, five stars. Our kids will be totally ready for college when they graduate. For the record, Caucasian, many generations in America on one side, European immigrant on the other.
Endorse The Harker School Lower School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
2020-21 Best SSAT Prep Courses Reviewed
The SSAT’s questions are different than questions on other standardized tests. Make sure you learn about the best SSAT test prep programs out there.
What A Teacher Does
A teacher wears many hats. Here's a look at her duties and responsibilities.
How Diverse Are Private Schools?
Decades ago private schools could have been accused of being elitist. You had to have money to attend. The student populations were fairly homogeneous. Fortunately that has changed.