The Schoolhouse Photo #2 - The Schoolhouse campus includes 28 acres of protected wetlands and ponds, as well as the farm and forests of Bread and Butter Farm, our "Farm Food Forest" partner.
The Schoolhouse Photo #3 - Annual science displays are integrated with year-long themes and the inquiries elementary students choose for themselves.
- Founded in 1971, The Schoolhouse is an independent progressive elementary and middle school, (K - 8), located in South Burlington, Vermont.
- Story Time at the Schoolhouse serves children from ages 2 - 4, with a focus on play-based and nature-based activies, as well as emergent reading in older students.
- Our Farm Food Forest program is integrated across all ages and classrooms; children develop a growing understanding of the links between food and the environment, and the relationships between food, health, culture, economics and policy.
- Schoolhouse offers unique, multi-age classrooms, with an average of 12-15 students per class, and teachers who work as a team to facilitate students' individual learning styles and interests.
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-8|
|Total Students||70 students|
|Student Body Type||n/a|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 8%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||16 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||4:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||15 students|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$11,800|
|Tuition Notes||Elementary: $11,800 Middle School: $13,100|
- Our mission is to provide a progressive learning community for children and families of diverse backgrounds. We value each child`s curiosity and independence of mind, nurture respectful relationships, and empower students to develop to their full potential and have a positive influence in their communities.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- South Burlington Grades: 7-12 | 40 students
1025 Airport Dr
South Burlington, VT 05403
(802)488-7711 4.2 7-12
- Shelburne Grades: PK-12 | 263 students
359 Turtle Lane
Shelburne, VT 05482
(802)985-2827 3.4 PK-12
- Williston Grades: PK-6 | 41 students
1186 Brownell Rd
Williston, VT 05495
(802)863-4839 3.4 PK-6
- Williston Grades: 5-8 | 20 students
195 Central School Drive
Williston, VT 05495
(802)878-2762 5.5 5-8
What curricula do private schools follow? Who accredits private schools? What kind of standards prevail? More here.
This hub page lists over three dozen articles dealing with issues in high school such as academics and discipline.
Seemingly never-ending school shootings prompted me to find out whether private schools were safer than public schools. Some answers and opinions on the matter here.