The Schoolhouse Photo #2 - The Schoolhouse campus includes 28 acres of protected wetlands and ponds, as well as the farm and forests of Bread and Butter Farm, our "Farm Food Forest" partner.
The Schoolhouse Photo #3 - Annual science displays are integrated with year-long themes and the inquiries elementary students choose for themselves.
Founded in 1971, The Schoolhouse is a private elementary and middle school, (K - 8), located in South Burlington, Vermont.
Story Time at the Schoolhouse serves children from ages 2 - 4, with a focus on play-based and nature-based activies, as well as emergent reading in older students.
Our Farm Food Forest program is integrated across all ages and classrooms; children develop a growing understanding of the links between food and the environment, and the relationships between food, health, culture, economics and policy.
Schoolhouse offers a progressive education with small, multi-age classrooms, and a team of teachers who differentiate instruction to meet students' individual learning styles and interests.
- Grades: Nursery/Preschool-8
- Students: 102 students
- Yearly Tuition: $12,980
- Average class size: 15 students
- Application Deadline: None / Rolling
- Schoolhouse Student Competes on American Ninja Warrior Jr - 04/25/2019Rose Lord, a Schoolhouse middle schooler, competes in a national TV show, American Ninja Warrior Junior.
- Former Schoolhouse Student Named Runner of the Year - 01/31/2019Alice Larson, a former Schoolhouse student who got her start as a runner at Schoolhouse, named Gatorade Runner of the Year.
- Experiential, Interest-Based Education - 08/14/2017A Schoolhouse parent writes about her family's experience at The Schoolhouse.
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 10%
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
% Faculty w/Advanced Degree
Average Class Size
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
None / Rolling
Yearly Tuition Cost
Elementary: $12,980 Middle School: $14,410
- Our mission is to provide a progressive learning community for children and families of diverse backgrounds. We value each child`s curiosity and independence of mind, nurture respectful relationships, and empower students to develop to their full potential and have a positive influence in their communities.
Endorse The Schoolhouse. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
With so much uncertainty in the world today and a pandemic further confounding our lives, it's reasonable for parents to want to protect their children whenever and wherever possible? But overprotecting or bubble-wrapping? Well, that's another matter.
Get Your Act Together!
We take a look at the other college admissions test and offer some resources for test preparation.
Why Small Class Sizes Work
You want your child to receive plenty of individual attention. That's one of the reasons most parents send their children to private school.