The Village School
Tel: (978) 249-3505
The Village School Photo #4 - Village School Reading Buddies share aloud the poems they wrote together.
The Village School Photo #6 - Naturalist and artist Gordon Morrison visits the Village School, teaching children how to do nature illustration.
The Village School Photo #7 - Village School kindergarten children examine feathers under microscopes, as part of their 8 week bird study.
The Village School Photo #8 - Village School students show the debris hut they have been building outside.
The Village School is an independent school serving children in preschool, kindergarten, and grades 1-6, in north central Massachusetts, offering a unique curriculum based on challenging hands-on academics, direct contact with the natural world, and kindness.
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-6|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||62 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 23%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||8 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(dress for paint and dirt!)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$8,750|
|Tuition Notes||8750 for full time K-6th students, 4500 for half day preschool students 3916 for 1/2 time preschool students|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$3,500|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Rise Richardson|
- Our aim is to nurture children's sense of wonder and to guide their pursuit of knowledge so that each child can integrate their own experience and transform it into understanding.
- The Village School's curriculum is project based. Outdoor exploration, nature observation, science experiments, nature projects, and gardening are integral aspects of the program. Science is focused on observation in nature and study of the universe.
- Academics are woven into the fabric of the child's life experience. Reading, writing and math tools are forged and honed daily in order to assist children in their understanding of themselves and the world around them. Our Investigations math curriculum helps develop critical thinking, use group problem solving, and master concepts with the aid of everyday material objects.
- Many forms of creative expression are used throughout the school, including clay work, watercolor painting, dance, music singing and movement, drama, journal work, storytelling, and creative writing.
- The school is an inseparable part of a vibrant community that integrates the school, work, and home life. parents are welcome participants in the daily life of the school, helping to create a village atmosphere where parents, students, and teachers work together in a dynamic learning community.
- We are located on the Camp Caravan 55 acre campus where children play daily in nature. We recently built a brand new light-filled school building which supports the nature-based education.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Putney Grades: PK-8 | 62 students
69 Hickory Ridge Road South
Putney, VT 05346
(802) 387-5364 27.6 PK-8
Sending your child to a single-sex school is one of several options you have when it comes to private schools.
Each state sets its own teacher certification requirements. While many private schools do not require you to be certified, it is in your best interests to obtain certification. This article includes contact information for state education offices so you can begin the process.
Marketing the small private school can be done affordably and effectively. We suggest five easy steps to make that happen.