The Williston Northampton School
- Top Ranked MA School
- Grades: 7-12
- Enrollment: 450 students
- Application Deadline: Feb. 1 / rolling
- Source: Verified school update
Academics and Faculty
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
- Members of the Class of 2009 were accepted at 46 of Barron's 75 Most Competitive colleges & universities in the counntry.
- Offers a unique program: The Writer's Workshop series. In its twelfth year, the fall 2009 series will feature Martin Espada ("The Republic of Poetry") and Sebastian Stuart ("The Hour Between"). Previous speakers include Pulitizer Prize winners Richard Russo and James Tate, writers Arthur Golden, Anita Shreve, Augusten Burroughs, Curtis Sittenfeld, Gregory Maguire, Jodi Picoult, and screenwriter Chic Eglee '70.
- Ninth Grade Program designed to ease the transition from middle school to secondary school and to build camaraderie in the entering class.
- New Ninth Grade boys dorm opened in September 2008 featuring geothermal wells for heating and cooling.
- Completed successful $36 million dollar Campaign for Legacy & Vision in June 2008 raising funds for endowment, faculty support and financial aid.
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Steve Porter ’97 - PorterHouse Media produces ESPN video mashups
- G.P. Gromacki ’89 - Led Amherst College women's basketball team to the NCAA Division III championship, named Coach of the Year by D3hoops.com.
- William S. Clark - UMass/Amherst President
- Winthrop Crane - 40th Governor of Massachusetts, U.S. Senator
- Brad Hall ’75 - Actor, producer, writer. Saturday Night Live Weekend Update anchor
- Patrick Rissmiller - Professional hockey player, NHL NY Rangers forward
- George Crockett Strong, Class of 1851 - U.S. Civil War General
- Robert Samuelson ’63 - Economic columnist and journalist, editor for Newsweek and the Washington Post, author
- George Stanley Hall - Psychologist, father of American Psychology
- Tony Lavelli ’45 - First overall NBA draft pick, accordionist for the Harlem Globetrotters
Frequently Asked Questions
Who are famous alumni from The Williston Northampton School?
The Williston Northampton School famous alumni include: Steve Porter ’97, G.P. Gromacki ’89, William S. Clark, Winthrop Crane, Brad Hall ’75, Patrick Rissmiller, George Crockett Strong, Class of 1851, Robert Samuelson ’63, George Stanley Hall and Tony Lavelli ’45.
What sports does The Williston Northampton School offer?
The Williston Northampton School offers 20 interscholastic sports: Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Diving, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Water Polo and Wrestling. The Williston Northampton School is ranked as one of the top 20% of private schools in Massachusetts for most sports offered.
What is The Williston Northampton School's ranking?
When is the application deadline for The Williston Northampton School?
The application deadline for The Williston Northampton School is Feb. 1 / rolling (applications are due on Feb. 1 but additional applications are reviewed year-round as space permits ).
Endorse The Williston Northampton School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards