Wilbraham & Monson Academy
5.00 (4 reviews)
Tel: (413) 596-6811
Wilbraham & Monson Academy is for students who are looking for a transformational education within a nurturing and supportive community. WMA is a global experience with students from more than 30 countries, a unique travel program, countless afternoon and athletic program offerings and our distinctive Center for Entrepreneurship, Economics & Finance.
CEEF courses also take place in the Mark R. Shenkman Trading Center, the pinnacle facility for economics, finance and entrepreneurship classes.
Wilbraham & Monson Academy places among the top 20% of private schools in Massachusetts for:
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
New England Association of Schools and Colleges
Association of Independent Schools in New England (AISNE)
|Grades Offered||Grades 6-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Mild Learning Differences|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Total Students||425 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 23%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||66 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|Number of AP Courses||23 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus AB, AP Chemistry, AP Environmental Science, AP French, AP Human Geography, AP Language & Composition, AP Latin, AP Literature & Composition, AP Macroeconomics: The Global Economy, AP Microeconomics: The Market Economy, AP Music Theory, AP Physics C, AP Research, AP Seminar, AP Spanish, AP Statistics, AP Studio Art: 2D Design, AP Studio Art: 3D Design, AP United States History, AP World History|
|Average SAT score||1270|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Feb. 1 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$66,800|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition includes academic instruction, room and board.|
|% on Financial Aid|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Kate Gaw|
|Admissions Associate||Durelle Brown|
|Endowment Size||$10 million|
|Total Sports Offered||22 sports|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Dance, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Lacrosse, Riflery, Rugby, Snowboarding, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Water Polo, Winter Track, WrestlingAlpine Skiing, Baseball,|
Cross Country, Dance,
Field Hockey, Football,
Tennis, Track and Field,
Volleyball, Water Polo,
Winter Track, Wrestling,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||38 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Atlas Newspaper, Black Student Union, Chess Club, Community Service Team, Dorm Prefects, Fashion Club, Finance Club, French Club, Gardening Club, Global Leaders, Global Scholars, Gold Key Club, Harmonia, Math Team, Model Congress, Model UN, Robotics Club, Science Olympiad, Stone Society, Student Activities Club, Student Government, WMA Design Fellows, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Academy Singers, Chamber Ensemble, Dance, Mosaic Harmony, Rubicon Literary Magazine, Technical Theatre, theater, Titan Jazz Ensemble
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Fitness, Instructional Tennis, Life Sports, Outdoor Program, Snowboarding, Tai Chi, Yoga
- Wilbraham & Monson Academy is an independent, college-preparatory, coeducational middle and upper school for boarding and day students. Located in Wilbraham, Massachusetts, a suburban community in south-central Massachusetts, Wilbraham & Monson Academy offers a transformational experience where students become challenge-seeking citizens and leaders of an evolving world. Our academic program aims to create global thinkers by offering a curriculum that integrates the mastery of traditional core disciplines such as English, Math, Science, World Languages and the Arts, while also incorporating courses specific to economics, entrepreneurship, and global studies. We also combine the innovative curriculum of our Center for Entrepreneurship, Economics & Finance with a strong college preparatory program, which includes 23 Advanced Placement courses and various honors tracks. Our CEEF program is designed to give students a comprehensive introduction to their role as global citizens and leaders in an increasingly interconnected world economy. Students are taught to think like entrepreneurs, to analyze current and historical issues and to investigate economic and social issues. Students are also able to utilize our Trading Center in an effort to understand and engage in active research and trading in order to gain an understanding of the global financial environment. Outside of the classroom students have the opportunity to engage in more than 30 competitive, recreational or civic activities ranging from varsity level sports, community service, outdoor adventure, dance and theatre. Our mission and goal is to create ethical young men and women. Future leaders, who investigate opportunities for intellectual growth, integrate by seeking intercultural connections, interact with others respectfully and effectively and innovate by practicing critical reasoning and entrepreneurial thinking.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Deerfield Grades: 9-12 | 648 students
7 Boyden Lane
Deerfield, MA 01342
(413) 774-1400 30.3 9-12
- Ashburnham Grades: 9-12 | 400 students
39 School Street
Ashburnham, MA 01430
(978) 827-7000 45.4 9-12
WMA was the finalist in looking at several New England prep schools. We wanted to give our son a different team experience from our public school and accept responsibilities that come along with it. WMA has caring professors that are confident in teaching their subject matter and five of themselves providing extra help. My son plays water polo and what an exciting experience with his team. He is thriving as a person and becoming a better leader and advocate for his own needs. It's a highly structured environment- the dining hall has a variety of selections and I feel I am saving money not cooking a three times a day! Love WMA.
- Posted by Parent - Rhea
This is a school with rigorous academics, offering a plethora of honors and AP courses. The teachers excel in their field of study and are invested in each student's learning. There is a wide range of sports and extracurricular activities from which to choose. Unusual offerings like water polo and riflery as well as football, basketball and baseball. Dance, drama and music also add to each student's choices. The music department, though small, is phenomenal!
- Posted by Parent - Wilbraham Day parent
After attending Wilbraham and Monson Academy for four years, I can confidently say that the Academy not only served me as an excellent school, but as a second home. Set in the picturesque Wilbraham, Massachusetts, the Academy offers sixth grade to post graduate for both domestic and international students. After stepping on campus, one can instantly understand why WMA is coined "The Global School" by the evident friendships between students of all nationalities and backgrounds, the opportunity for international travel, as well as the abundance of globally-focused courses, particularly in the CEGS (Center for Entrepreneurial and Global Studies) department. It was at the Academy that I fostered an interest in international business and finance through several compelling entrepreneurial electives in the school's Shenkman Trading Center. Being a college preparatory school in nature, WMA does a sufficient job in assisting students with the overwhelming college process through yearly seminars and individual counseling. During my time at the academy I was able to play varsity field hockey, winter and spring track, as well as try tennis and basketball. Additionally, I was able to join extracurricular activities such as Model United Nations and WMAction (the school's daily community service program). I also was able to travel with the Academy to Haiti my sophomore year, on to serve the community, which truly was a trip of a lifetime. Academically, WMA gave me the opportunity to challenge myself across all disciplines. The small class sizes (a roughly 6:1 student to faculty ratio) allow for group discussions, which proved to be a more effective teaching style rather than strictly lecturing. With about 20 Advanced Placement courses, I was able to effectively learn difficult material and receive college credit, thanks to the dedicated and intelligent faculty, who were available for office hours every day of the week. Overall, Wilbraham and Monson Academy prepared me for my top choice school, Trinity College, where I will be matriculating in the Fall, as well as provided me with friendships and connections that will last a life time.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - smgou
WMA is an inclusive and positive environment where students are surrounded by supportive staff members and peers. There are endless opportunities for students to get involved, which enrich the relationships built during their time there. To this day, the WMA family I created for myself is still a very big part of my life. I am extremely grateful for the 2 years I had there and all the community provided for me.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - tori.
Sending your child to a single-sex school is one of several options you have when it comes to private schools.
Each state sets its own teacher certification requirements. While many private schools do not require you to be certified, it is in your best interests to obtain certification. This article includes contact information for state education offices so you can begin the process.
Marketing the small private school can be done affordably and effectively. We suggest five easy steps to make that happen.