Tuckahoe Montessori School
Tel: (804) 359-2754
- Tuckahoe Montessori School (TMS) has served Richmond children and their families for over forty years.
- Tuckahoe Montessori School offers three programs to meet the educational and developmental needs of children between the ages of 18-months and ten years.
- In each classroom, students benefit from a purposeful implementation of the Montessori method, growing in autonomy within a framework that emphasizes peaceful order, fosters the natural curiosity that leads to learning, and guides exploration of increasingly challenging concepts.
- TMS is committed to communicating the philosophy of the classrooms to parents who may be concerned that a Montessori school offers too much or two little freedom to children.
- Both concerns were actually addressed by Dr. Montessori: "To give a child liberty is not to abandon him to himself." At TMS, children are offer a guided freedom, one that inspires while reinforcing self-possession and peaceful interactions.
- Parents of TMS students are provided numerous opportunities to learn more about the Montessori Method, to gain insight into their child`s daily experiences and to discover strategies for communicating Montessori principles in the home.
|School Type||Montessori School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Other Montessori association(s)|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-3|
|Total Students||103 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 26%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||5 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||21:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||20 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Admissions Director||Amanda Edmondson|
|Admissions Associate||Danielle Hines|
|Total Sports Offered||3 sports|
|Sports||Gymnastics, Soccer, TennisGymnastics, Soccer,|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||5 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Arts and Music Programs:
Art, Chinese, Spanish
The TMS Core Commitments:
- Purposeful implementation of the Montessori method, in the hands of experienced and loving teacher/guides, to tap the extraordinary gifts of each child
- A school culture anchored in trust, kindness, and the Montessori concept of education as the "unfolding" of intelligence and individuality within a calm and ordered environment
- The importance of intercultural awareness and understanding as children explore geography, literature, and languages
- Supportive structure for families
- A time-tested instructional approach to reading and mathematics that results in a comfortable and natural mastery of concepts
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Richmond Grades: PK-8 | 139 students
6627 Jahnke Road
Richmond, VA 23235
(804) 755-7051 5.3 PK-8
- Richmond Grades: 3-12 | 14 students
PO Box 26321
Richmond, VA 23260
(804) 405-3761 6.3 3-12
- Richmond Grades: K-8 | 101 students
3809 Patterson Ave
Richmond, VA 23221
(804) 353-1110 3 K-8
If you live outside the United States, choosing an American private school can be a confusing process. Here is an overview of the process.
Many people thought vouchers would never amount to much. Not only have they amounted to a great deal more than anybody could have thought, but vouchers have encouraged several more education choices to flourish.
Now that school has safely reopened, what can we parents do to support and encourage the schools we care about so much?