Tuckahoe Montessori School
- Tuckahoe Montessori School (TMS) has served Richmond children and their families for over forty years.
- Tuckahoe Montessori School offers three programs to meet the educational and developmental needs of children between the ages of 18-months and ten years.
- In each classroom, students benefit from a purposeful implementation of the Montessori method, growing in autonomy within a framework that emphasizes peaceful order, fosters the natural curiosity that leads to learning, and guides exploration of increasingly challenging concepts.
- TMS is committed to communicating the philosophy of the classrooms to parents who may be concerned that a Montessori school offers too much or two little freedom to children.
- Both concerns were actually addressed by Dr. Montessori: "To give a child liberty is not to abandon him to himself." At TMS, children are offer a guided freedom, one that inspires while reinforcing self-possession and peaceful interactions.
- Parents of TMS students are provided numerous opportunities to learn more about the Montessori Method, to gain insight into their child`s daily experiences and to discover strategies for communicating Montessori principles in the home.
|School Type||Montessori School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Other Montessori association(s)|
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-5|
|Total Students||93 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||15 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||20 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Admissions Director||Amanda Edmondson|
|Admissions Associate||Danielle Hines|
|Total Sports Offered||3 sports|
|Sports||Gymnastics, Soccer, TennisGymnastics, Soccer,|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||5 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Arts and Music Programs:
Art, Chinese, Spanish
The TMS Core Commitments:
- Purposeful implementation of the Montessori method, in the hands of experienced and loving teacher/guides, to tap the extraordinary gifts of each child
- A school culture anchored in trust, kindness, and the Montessori concept of education as the "unfolding" of intelligence and individuality within a calm and ordered environment
- The importance of intercultural awareness and understanding as children explore geography, literature, and languages
- Supportive structure for families
- A time-tested instructional approach to reading and mathematics that results in a comfortable and natural mastery of concepts
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Richmond Grades: PK-8 | 146 students
6627 Jahnke Road
Richmond, VA 23235
(804)755-7051 5.3 PK-8
- Richmond Grades: 3-12 | 14 students
PO Box 26321
Richmond, VA 23260
(804)405-3761 6.3 3-12
- Richmond Grades: K-8 | 101 students
3809 Patterson Ave
Richmond, VA 23221
(804)353-1110 3 K-8
Most private schools have endowment funds. We explain how these work and why schools are fortunate to have them in tough times.
COVID-19 has turned education at every level upside-down, inside-out. We offer some steps to guide your planning for academic year 2020-21.
Teachers and parents are concerned about the teaching that will take place post-pandemic. I have tried to cover their concerns in the following set of questions and answers.