Tel: (207) 236-3000
- The Community School is Maine's oldest alternative high school. Since 1973, we have worked with students from all over Maine as well as other states.
- The Community School has two programs: a small Residential program in Camden, and Passages, a program for preganant and parenting teens, which serves Knox, Waldo and parts of Lincoln Counties.
- In the Residential program, 8 students live at the school for a six-month term, work, pay rent, do chores, cooking, and academics.
- In the Passages Program, teachers work one on one with their students at the student's residence.
- Those who complete our programs graduate with a regular high school diploma.
- Interested students can apply anytime by calling (207)236-3000 or go online at www.thecommunityschool.org.
|School Type||Alternative School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Other school association(s)|
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Total Students||62 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 10%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||10 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||8 students|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition for the Residential Program and the Passages Program are based on ability to pay and both are open to all. Tuition for the Passages Program for teen parents is free.|
|Admissions Director||Valerie Behrens, Residential Program|
|Admissions Associate||Martha Kempe, Passages Program|
Nearby Private Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Camden Grades: PK-3 | 53 students
58 Elm St
Camden, ME 04843
(207) 236-2911 3.1 PK-3
- Hope Grades: NS-12 | 24 students
142 Main Sreet
Hope, ME 04847
(207) 785-4426 3.1 NS-12
- Rockport Grades: PK-9 | 42 students
73 Warrenton St
Rockport, ME 04856
(207) 596-6405 3.6 PK-9
- Rockland Grades: PK-8 | 52 students
1 Waldo Avenue
Rockland, ME 04841
(207) 596-6460 7 PK-8
Now that school has safely reopened, what can we parents do to support and encourage the schools we care about so much?
Sending your child to a single-sex school is one of several options you have when it comes to private schools.
This article aims to show you where to look for information about school reopening protocols, school reopening communications, schools that have closed, and schools with COVID-19 cases, among other COVID-19 related issues.