Tel: (207) 596-6405
Riley School Photo #2 - Lower school children take turns trying kayaking in the stream on Riley Campus under the watchful eye of the Lower school teacher.
Riley School Photo #3 - Middle School child reading to Dudley (lab) in front of the fireplace on a cold winter day.
- The mission of Riley School is to fully support the needs of young children and adolescents during their critical years of cognitive, emotional, physical, and social growth.
- Riley School believes that self worth is the key to success in academic achievement, creative expression, personal happiness, discipline, and community service.
- We champion the ability of all people to collaborate and to help others through cooperative work.
- We support the ability to recognize and value each individual's unique gifts and talents.
- We foster a sense of responsibility toward our natural environment and strive to promote all of these goals within an educational setting which provides appropriate adult role models and a secure, loving atmosphere for learning.
- Riley offers a unique and creative approach to learning. First, it matters greatly how the child constructs knowledge and learns.
- Then specific skills and facts become meaningful and useful tools for the child.
- A curriculum that supports this stance is continually evolving based upon the child's interests, needs, and experiences.
- This in turn nurtures the child's self-worth and creativity, encouraging her/his continued participation in the educational process.
|School Type||Alternative School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||State or regional independent school association|
New England Association of Schools and Colleges
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-9|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||42 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 10%
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||9 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||8 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(children wear play clothes - Riley offers many hands on learning experiences)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||$7800= Lower School $9000 = Middle School $10000 = Upper School|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$2,500|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Rebecca Greenleaf Clapp|
- Riley is physically located in Glen Cove (a part of Rockport Maine). Riley is a Progressive School which offers a unique and creative approach to learning. First, it matters greatly how the child constructs knowledge and learns. Then specific skills and facts become meaningful and useful tools for the child. A curriculum which supports this stance is continually changing based upon the child's interests, needs, and experiences. This in turn nurtures the child's self-worth and creativity encouraging her/his continued participation in the educational process. Since learning occurs within the child's own timetable, he/she does not become frustrated by unreasonable levels of achievement but, rather, is stimulated to reach personal goals or expectations suitable to their own developmental stage. At Riley children progress through the program at their own rate, given the necessary time and provided with stimulating learning experiences designed to support continued growth which enhances his/her life. Because learning is a natural process for children, we create an environment in which individual achievement is reflected in an exciting academic and arts program while also providing opportunities for each child to grow emotionally and socially with responsibility and self-discipline. Riley is not an exclusive learning environment but an inclusive one which uses the diversity of its children and adults to achieve a sense of genuine community.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Camden Grades: PK-3 | 53 students
58 Elm St
Camden, ME 04843
(207) 236-2911 1.6 PK-3
As the COVID-19 virus spreads throughout the United States, we look at steps schools and parents can take to protect themselves from this highly contagious virus.
Raising children involves constant attention to their development and progress. Identifying learning disabilities must be part of your plan.
This article aims to show you where to look for information about school reopening protocols, school reopening communications, schools that have closed, and schools with COVID-19 cases, among other COVID-19 related issues.