West End Academy
5.00 (4 reviews)
Tel: (865) 690-1720
West End Academy Photo #5 - Occasionaly we have visitors come and speak to the children. This gentleman runs an orphanage in Kenya, taking in children orphaned by conflict.
West End Academy Photo #6 - Graduating class of 2008. Only one of these outstanding young adults is not currently pursuing further education.
West End Academy Photo #7 - We have a golf tournament every year to raise scholarship funds for students. This is our administrator taking one for the kids.
- Our school`s purpose is to change educational outcomes. Since 1971, West End Academy has helped thousands of children escape from educational disaster by offering 1:1, individualized instruction, and small class sizes.
- Our mission is to reclaim success and opportunity for students who have encountered frustration and failure in their educational endeavors.
- Education is not a one-size-fits-all approach and all students are individuals who have unique and specific needs.
- Over the years, we have learned that students need one thing, a chance.
- This chance is one to grow and thrive to become successful individuals in all aspects of life.
- We strive to teach children academically and on the foundation of Christian principles, not only for today, but to give them hope for a future.
- We desire to bring hope back to the student and their family, as well as provide a platform for the student to build a successful sense of self-worth.
West End Academy places among the top 20% of private schools in Tennessee for:
- Category Attribute
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-12|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||90 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||3 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||30:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||8 students|
|Number of AP Courses||3 courses|
|Advanced Courses||English, English Lit, Trigonometry|
|Average ACT score||20|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$13,650|
|Tuition Notes||Grade school is $6500. We have tuition assistance available based on family need.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$3,500|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Autumn VanDyke|
- Our school`s purpose is to change educational outcomes. Since 1971, West End Academy has helped thousands of children escape from educational disaster by offering 1:1, individualized instruction, and small class sizes. Our mission is to reclaim success and opportunity for students who have encountered frustration and failure in their educational endeavors. Education is not a one-size-fits-all approach and all students are individuals who have unique and specific needs. Over the years, we have learned that students need one thing, a chance. This chance is one to grow and thrive to become successful individuals in all aspects of life. We strive to teach children academically and on the foundation of Christian principles, not only for today, but to give them hope for a future. We desire to bring hope back to the student and their family, as well as provide a platform for the student to build a successful sense of self-worth.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Knoxville Grades: 6-8 | 37 students
544 Canton Hollow Road
Knoxville, TN 37934
(865) 777-0197 7.8 6-8
I have been teaching at this school for 2 years now and am very impressed with the way Mrs. Autumn runs things. This is the kind of school you want your child to attend if you feel like no one is listening to you and your child is struggling with the traditional school setting. At West End, we truly strive to teach the student in a manner that best helps them to succeed. Not just with academics, but with life as well. I am proud to say that I teach here.
- Posted by Teacher - Erica Lopp
Our son transferred here from public school for his senior year. The teachers are incredibly encouraging, caring, approachable, and invested in wanting the absolute best for him. The class sizes are small and he has learned so much more than just academics. He has achieved such good grades and does so much more work daily than he ever accomplished in public school. It has been a perfect fit for him and in a couple of weeks will proudly be a West End Academy graduate.
- Posted by Parent - Gennie W.
1 star for nice staff and clean building. 0 stars for school curriculum.In 2017, the principal Mr. D - had a stroke and left the school. Parents were not informed. Teachers were not trained to teach older children. My child was taught incorrect information in math and grammar and now has to go back and learn the correct way. I am very disappointed in this school and wish I had never sent my child there.
- Posted by Parent - Former Attendee
Both my son and grandson attended this school. My son was suspended from high school and went to West End Academy instead. He had always had trouble fitting into school. He had good reason, actually, but he was very bright and just would not do the work. WEA was the only school he was successful at and it was the only school, he told me, where he respected the principal, Mr. David Dowling. Later, when my daughter was no longer able to homeschool my grandson (I believe about 7th grade) he started at WEA. He did very well there. He graduated a year early. He really enjoyed going there and was very fond of Mr. D as he is affectionately called by the students. The school is in a beautiful setting. It occupies a former home that was made into an administrative building and day care and the classrooms were built onto this building. There is a beautiful lake out in the front of the school which supplies ducks with a home in the spring. There are many beautiful trees on the property. It is also a very peaceful and restful setting which is great as a tool for some kids that need help with learning better behavior. I would recommend this school to anyone! David Dowling is a man of honesty and integrity and he loves children yet provides the discipline that they need to learn to succeed in this world.
- Posted by Parent - grate
Now that school has safely reopened, what can we parents do to support and encourage the schools we care about so much?
Sending your child to a single-sex school is one of several options you have when it comes to private schools.
This article aims to show you where to look for information about school reopening protocols, school reopening communications, schools that have closed, and schools with COVID-19 cases, among other COVID-19 related issues.