- WEMS sees its role as being assistants to the parents.
- Nurturing your child is the most important job we have.
- We understand that we are setting a life–pattern for your children by providing support for their intellectual and emotional growth at this fragile point of life.
- We hope that each child's experiences at West End Montessori School (WEMS) will allow a child to develop a sense of self–confidence that encourages inquisitiveness, initiative and independence in learning for the joy of learning.
|School Type||Montessori School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||American Montessori Society (AMS)
Other special emphasis association(s)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-5|
|Total Students||126 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 26%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||8 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||16:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||28 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Visit http://www.westendmontessori.com/wems_at_a_glance.htm for latest tuition/fee schedule|
|Admissions Director||Janet Gallagher|
|Admissions Associate||Castle O'Neill|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||6 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||chess, chinese, music, science club, spanish, yoga chess, chinese, music, science club, spanish, yoga,|
- Reaching fullest potential comes from our carefully orchestrated Montessori program. As children progress through the levels, their growth is exponential. Each year concretely, logically, and consistently builds on lessons learned in previous years. Your child receives the full benefit of a Montessori education by completing all levels of our program. Music and Language are also an integral part of our program. During the course of the year, we attend several field trips that supplement our units of study. We also offer other programs to meet the diverse needs and interests of our student population. The Toddler Cottage routines, methods and philosophy are consistent with those of the Primary Program to aid in the logical progression from "unconscious creator" to "conscious worker". A mid-morning snack is provided by the school. The Primary Program is based on the premise that young children flourish with gentle guidance and the freedom to work at their own pace. Children make friends easily and learn how to share and play cooperatively in a safe and secure setting. The daily schedule includes work time, group time, outdoor time, lunch and dismissal. A snack is provided each day by one of our WEMS families. The children prepare and serve their own snacks during work time. The Montessori primary curriculum is intended to be a 3 year, 5 day program to provide time for the child to advance through the materials. Every primary student is eligible for the 5 day program. The 3 day program is intended as an option for our youngest primary students who will be 3 turning 4. Building on the morning's work, the Afternoon Program is offered to students who are both enrolling in the 5 day program and turning 5 years old by December 31st. It does not have to be your child's kindergarten year. Many of our children attend class for 2 years (the year before kindergarten and their actual kindergarten year). The primary goal of the Elementary Program is to empower children to become confident, competent students. The core curriculum provides instruction in all traditional subjects. Critical thinking, problem solving, and research skills are emphasized. The five-day program serves children in grades 1 through 6.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
11600 Gayton Rd
Richmond, VA 23238
AshlandGrades: PK-8 | 60 students
115 Frances Rd
Ashland, VA 23005
RichmondGrades: PK-8 | 452 students
9501 Gayton Rd
Richmond, VA 23229
RichmondGrades: PK-8 | 363 students
8250 Woodman Rd
Richmond, VA 23228
RichmondGrades: 9-12 | 229 students
3215 Stuart Avenue
Richmond, VA 23221
May 25, 2017
The admissions essay is an important part of your child's admissions profile. Noodle Pros essay expert Kate Fisher offers some valuable tips about writing the admissions essay.
May 25, 2017
When you apply for a position at a private school, you need to use a slightly different approach than you would use if you were applying for a sales job somewhere.
May 25, 2017
Myths, urban legends and just plain misinformation abound concerning private schools. We shed some light on the facts you may not have known.