West End Montessori School
- WEMS sees its role as being assistants to the parents.
- Nurturing your child is the most important job we have.
- We understand that we are setting a life–pattern for your children by providing support for their intellectual and emotional growth at this fragile point of life.
- We hope that each child's experiences at West End Montessori School (WEMS) will allow a child to develop a sense of self–confidence that encourages inquisitiveness, initiative and independence in learning for the joy of learning.
West End Montessori School places among the top 20% of private schools in Virginia for:
- Category Attribute
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
|School Type||Montessori School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||American Montessori Society (AMS)|
Other special emphasis association(s)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-5|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||135 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 26%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||10 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||14:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||28 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Visit http://www.westendmontessori.com/wems_at_a_glance.htm for latest tuition/fee schedule|
|Admissions Director||Janet Gallagher|
|Admissions Associate||Castle O'Neill|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||6 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||chess, chinese, music, science club, spanish, yoga|
- Reaching fullest potential comes from our carefully orchestrated Montessori program. As children progress through the levels, their growth is exponential. Each year concretely, logically, and consistently builds on lessons learned in previous years. Your child receives the full benefit of a Montessori education by completing all levels of our program. Music and Language are also an integral part of our program. During the course of the year, we attend several field trips that supplement our units of study. We also offer other programs to meet the diverse needs and interests of our student population. The Toddler Cottage routines, methods and philosophy are consistent with those of the Primary Program to aid in the logical progression from "unconscious creator" to "conscious worker". A mid-morning snack is provided by the school. The Primary Program is based on the premise that young children flourish with gentle guidance and the freedom to work at their own pace. Children make friends easily and learn how to share and play cooperatively in a safe and secure setting. The daily schedule includes work time, group time, outdoor time, lunch and dismissal. A snack is provided each day by one of our WEMS families. The children prepare and serve their own snacks during work time. The Montessori primary curriculum is intended to be a 3 year, 5 day program to provide time for the child to advance through the materials. Every primary student is eligible for the 5 day program. The 3 day program is intended as an option for our youngest primary students who will be 3 turning 4. Building on the morning's work, the Afternoon Program is offered to students who are both enrolling in the 5 day program and turning 5 years old by December 31st. It does not have to be your child's kindergarten year. Many of our children attend class for 2 years (the year before kindergarten and their actual kindergarten year). The primary goal of the Elementary Program is to empower children to become confident, competent students. The core curriculum provides instruction in all traditional subjects. Critical thinking, problem solving, and research skills are emphasized. The five-day program serves children in grades 1 through 6.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Henrico Grades: PK-8 | 353 students
8250 Woodman Rd
Henrico, VA 23228
(804)262-1770 5.4 PK-8
- Henrico Grades: PK-8 | 415 students
9501 Gayton Rd
Henrico, VA 23229
(804)740-1048 0.5 PK-8
The Seattle area is home to many fine private schools as well as to major companies such as Microsoft, Boeing and Starbucks.
Religion is important to you. You want your children to be educated in a school where your religion matters.
The COVID-19 has turned our lives upside down. Sending your children back to school raises all sorts of concerns for their safety and education. We answer some of your questions here.