Central Montessori School Of Virginia
5.00 (4 reviews)
- School's mission is to inspire a deep, lifelong love of learning within children by offering a vibrant, interdisciplinary education.
- Our research based learning methods cultivate critical thinking, independence and self-discovery.
- Our goal is to build a truly authentic montessori community that reflects, supports, and benefits from our beautiful urban neighborhood.
- Frequent walks to nearby art galleries, farmer¡¯s markets, city parks, the James River, historic sites and other downtown resources offer rich learning experiences for young minds.
|School Type||Montessori School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||American Montessori Society (AMS)|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-7|
|Total Students||100 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 24%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||9 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||11:1|
National avg.: 13:1
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Total Sports Offered||3 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Soccer, SwimmingBaseball, Soccer,|
- Located in a beautiful urban setting, Central Montessori School offers children ages 16months to 9 years old an alternative education rooted in the philosophy, methodology and teachings of Dr. Maria Montessori. Central Montessori School provides a full-day, year-round Montessori program for children ages 16 months to 9 years old. We offer a complete, seamless day of Montessori instruction from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. Programs include: Toddler Class (ages 16-36 months)Primary Class (ages 3-6 years)Lower Elementary Class (ages 6-9 years)We offer a 12-month (year round, summer included) enrollment.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Richmond Grades: 3-12 | 14 students
PO Box 26321
Richmond, VA 23260
(804)405-3761 0.7 3-12
- Richmond Grades: PK-8 | 206 students
3400 Stony Point Rd
Richmond, VA 23235
(804)272-1341 7.9 PK-8
We're so thankful our children have the opportunity to attend Central Montessori. You won't find a staff more dedicated to the education and development of children anywhere. The focus of the Montessori program relies heavily upon self dependence while still providing the tenderness and caring young children require. Our oldest son is currently in Kindergarten at CM. The brilliance of the program is in its design where children dynamically adjust their own curriculum to challenge themselves. My biggest concern initially was that there didn't seem to be a heavy focus on math & science. That was appeased near immediately when as a pre-K 4 year old, my oldest son came home able to count to 100 -- and up to 50 in Spanish! Just last week the students had their yearly Science Fair. The experiments conducted were outstanding! Many of them covering principles I hadn't encountered until middle school. Of course, the parents play a big part in all of this. CM cultivates in us as parents a sense of involvement and community where so many individuals of diverse backgrounds come together because we know something special is happening -- not because our zip code dictated this is the school our children would attend. Most importantly, since attending CM our oldest son has become much happier, content, and has discovered his love of learning. We can't say enough nice things about his teacher, Ms. Amanda and the classroom assistants. They are true professionals whose tireless dedication to the children is always apparent. The urban setting of the school -- quietly hidden inside the bustling creative burrow of Shockoe Bottom -- offers children the opportunity to feel the pulse of the city, with views of city skyscrapers framed by giant floor to ceiling windows visible from the beautiful post-modern architecture of every classroom. Simply, Central Montessori offers an outstanding educational experience and is undoubtedly among the finest early education programs available anywhere in the world. We couldn't be happier with our decision in choosing Central Montessori as the steward of our children's education.
- Posted by Parent - Parker
We started our son in the toddler program at CMS and he's blossomed since then. I can't say enough good things about this school and the educators. I highly recommend the school!
- Posted by Parent - steph
Very good school all around. No complaints. My children love it and have developed life long friendships at such an early age. The teachers really care, not just when the parents are around. Very well priced for a Montessori school in the area, but still pretty expensive if you are not well off. You get what you pay for. My children love it there. No homework (or very little), no tests (unless they opt in at a certain age). Even though I was really skeptical about the program at first, my children knowledge base is astounding at such an early age. They are so engaged and excited about their school work it's amazing. I highly recommend it.
- Posted by Parent - nazda
My toddler aged son has been at this school for a year and it has been wonderful. The quality of the education is absolutely worth the money. I am happy that this school has helped form my son into a healthy, responsible, and independent two year old!
- Posted by Parent - athen
Nearby Homes for Sale
What is a lab school? It's a K-12 school or school with some variation of those grades which is operated by a university or college.
Helicopter, velcro and snowplow parents can't stand the thought of their children having difficulty with anything. Over-protective parents come in several flavors. More here.
Raising money for your small school never seems to end. There is always some pressing need. And a few long-term ones as well. We offer some tips, suggestions and strategies to help you tackle this important aspect of your school's financial situation.