West Sound Academy
- School Type: School with Special Program Emphasis
- Grades: 6-12
- Enrollment: 85 students
- Yearly Tuition: $23,500
- Acceptance rate: 81%
- Average class size: 16 students
- Application Deadline: Feb. 15 / Apr. 16
- Source: Verified school update
Academics and Faculty
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
Dungeons and Dragons Club, GSA (Gender-Sexuality Alliance), Knowledge Bowl, Literary Journal, Robotics Club, Social Committee, Student Council, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Drama Club, International Thespian Society
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Ultimate Frisbee Club
- Mission - West Sound Academy is a college preparatory school that graduates accomplished, creative, intellectually curious young adults prepared to contribute responsibly to the world.
- Type of School - West Sound Academy is an independent college preparatory school serving students in grades six through twelve. The International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme is offered for students in grades 11 and 12.
- Location and Campus - West Sound Academy is located on a wooded, twenty-acre campus overlooking Liberty Bay in Poulsbo, Washington. The school's four buildings include classrooms, a library, a technology center, science labs, three teaching studios (art, theatre, and music), an art gallery, and a Commons. The outdoor setting and the magnificent views of the Olympic Mountains inspire students and staff. Outdoor facilities include an amphitheater, a playfield, and a sports court.
- Accreditation - IB World School, authorized to offer the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme; Northwest Accreditation Commission (NWAC), and Subscriber School, Northwest Association of Independent Schools.
- Admissions - West Sound Academy admits students of any race, color, or national or ethnic origin. Qualified students are those who have sound academic records, a sense of individuality, are motivated toward discovery, demonstrate integrity, and have an abiding interest in their world.
- Students - West Sound Academy students typically come from all parts of the Kitsap Peninsula and Bainbridge Island, as well as from eastern Jefferson County. In line with our mission, approximately 10% of our student body is comprised of international students. West Sound Academy is a diverse community that affirms and values people's differences. We have a multiplicity of backgrounds and perspectives within our school family, and mutual appreciation and respect are encouraged in our students.
- Class Size - Class sizes vary according to grade level and course, but are always designed to ensure individual attention to students. The average class size is 16 with typical classes ranging from 8 students to 20 students.
- Student-to-teacher ratio - 8 to 1.
- Faculty - West Sound Academy's faculty is comprised of ten full- and part-time teachers, with an administrative and support staff of seven. The Academy's enthusiastic faculty of talented professionals fosters curiosity and discovery and stresses critical thinking and clear communication.
- Curriculum - Providing a rigorous academic and art curriculum to prepare students for college, West Sound Academy is an IB World School, authorized to deliver the International Baccalaureate Degree Programme (IBDP) for students in Grades 11-12. The curriculum for Grades 6- 9 is centered on a pre-IBDP course of study, while Grades 10-12 have a selection of challenging college preparatory courses in the six academic areas of the Diploma Programme. The curriculum stresses critical and disciplined thinking, effective communication and scientific analysis, and creative problem-solving. Skills introduced and reinforced in the classroom, including critical reading, critical writing, and document analysis and evaluation, will prepare students for the rigors of the Diploma Programme and for success in college after their years at West Sound. Graduates leave West Sound Academy with the intellectual, personal, emotional, and social skills to live, learn and work in a rapidly globalizing world.
- Technology- West Sound Academy`s Technology Access Center provides new learning opportunities in the fields of robotics, programming, 3-D design, and graphic design. This supports WSA's Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Math (STEAM) initiative. The overall objectives of the Tech Center are to practice problem-solving, teamwork, making, and programming. West Sound Academy has a Bring Your Own Laptop Computer policy. WSA students learn appropriate use of technology so they can communicate effectively; collect, analyze, process, and present information; as well as master the technical skills necessary to succeed in college and later life. Students are provided Google Apps accounts which include email and other online collaborative tools. To best utilize online resources the school has a state of the art 10 MB+ fiber connection to the Internet with a campus-wide LAN and WiFi service.
- College Placement - 100% of the Class of 2022 admitted to college.
- Leadership Opportunities - A host of leadership opportunities are available from serving as officers or grade representatives on the WSA Student Council to student leadership in community service, performing arts, publications (yearbook and literary journal), recreational clubs, and more.
- Advisory Program - A small group of students is paired with a teacher for one or more years. The advisory groups meet on a weekly basis to discuss important issues and to record reflections on CAS (Creativity, Activity, Service) activities completed by the student. The advisor meets with students, teachers, and their parents for two formal conferences during the school year and on an as-needed basis. All students and their parents meet with the student`s advisor and teachers for goal-setting conferences in September.
- June-Term - During June-Term the normal class schedule is suspended and students study one or two intensive classes of their choice for three weeks. June Term takes place after spring semester finals. June Term provides a forum where students put the academic skills they had been building into practical application. Examples of June-Term offerings include: Money Management, Rube Goldberg (invention creation), Star Trek`s Influence on Culture, Cajun Culture and Cuisine, Food Art, Craft Creations, Athletic Adventures, Gohn Dagow Martial Arts, Devised Theatre, and Music Ensemble.
- Experiential Education - A year at West Sound Academy includes experiential adventures, beginning with the Fall Gathering. Faculty and students in Grades 6-12 leave the classroom to spend time outdoors on our twenty-acre campus, sharing meals and field games, while building friendships and strengthening the school community. Before classes even begin in the fall, Seniors depart on the Senior Retreat, with faculty leaders to a retreat center where they prepare for the coming year with team building activities, college essay writing, and class-bonding experiences. At the conclusion of Spring Semester, West Sound Academy offers half-day and full-day June Term classes and the option for students to participate in experiential trips called June TRECs. A June TREC ((Travel, Rethink, Explore, Connect) is designed to put students into unfamiliar surroundings where they can have new and different experiences. TRECs may involve outdoor activities such as rafting, sea-kayaking, or rock climbing. Other TRECs may include travel: domestic excursions to other regions of the United States or international trips to compelling and engaging destinations overseas.
- Performance Art - Annual school drama productions; presentations by documentary film and music students
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Madeline Reeves '08 - Founder and CEO of Fearless Foundry, a worldwide marketing and consulting firm
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does West Sound Academy cost?
West Sound Academy's tuition is approximately $23,500 for private students.
What is the acceptance rate of West Sound Academy?
The acceptance rate of West Sound Academy is 81%, which is lower than the national average of 85%.
Who are famous alumni from West Sound Academy?
West Sound Academy famous alumni include: Madeline Reeves '08.
Does West Sound Academy offer a summer program?
Yes, West Sound Academy offers a summer program. Visit their summer school page for more information.
When is the application deadline for West Sound Academy?
The application deadline for West Sound Academy is Feb. 15 / Apr. 16.
Endorse West Sound Academy. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards