Woodward Academy North Campus
5.00 (17 reviews)
Tel: (404) 765-4490
- Woodward North is located on a 33-acre campus in Johns Creek, Georgia.
- It is a satellite elementary school of Woodward Academy, enrolling about 330 students in pre-kindergarten through 6th grade.
- Since opening in the fall of 1990, Woodward North has become an integral part of Woodward Academy, sending its students to matriculate in the seventh grade on the Main Campus in College Park.The programs at Woodward North are housed in three separate buildings: the main classroom building, the arts center and the multiplex.
- On the grounds of the school are two large and well-equipped playgrounds, a nature trail, an outdoor classroom overlooking a stream, a large soccer field and a horseback-riding ring.
- The mission of Woodward North is to develop in its students a sense of joy and pride in coming to school each day. There is a strong recognition that these elementary students should be engaged in an accelerated and enriched program that is an age-appropriate part of the Academy`s college preparatory continuum.Woodward North`s faculty is characterized by its desire to have students regard their classrooms as happy and exciting learning environments.
- Teachers at Woodward North enjoy working with and challenging a bright student body, and they are keenly aware of their responsibilities to communicate closely with parents who expect to be full and supportive partners in the student`s elementary education.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Other school association(s)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-6|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Transition program in 4th, 5th and 6th grades to support mild learning differences|
|Total Students||232 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 22%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||44 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||13 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Feb. 28|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$18,300|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition varies by grade level.|
|Admissions Director||Nija Meyer|
|Admissions Associate||Holly Ferguson|
|Total Sports Offered||8 sports|
|Sports||Ballet, Basketball, Dance, Equestrian, Fencing, Golf, Soccer, VolleyballBallet, Basketball,|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||8 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Chess Club, Garden Club, Odyssey of the Mind, Robotics
Arts and Music Programs:
Art Club, Handbell Choir, Show Choir
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Jump Rope Club
- Welcome to Woodward North, the north campus of Woodward Academy. We enroll approximately 300 students from pre-K through sixth grade, providing them with a warm, nurturing environment where every student finds his or her own unique strength and talent. Our convenient location is in Johns Creek, on a 33-acre wooded campus with a nature trail that is used for educational and recreational purposes.
- At Woodward North, our focus is on innovative practices in the classroom with a curriculum that emphasizes critical thinking. With a student-teacher ratio average of only 7:1, students receive wise guidance at every step, discover their greatest strengths, and build life-shaping qualities of good character.In addition to our rigorous academic program for mainstream students, we also offer our acclaimed Transition program for students with diagnosed learning differences in third through sixth grades.
- Prolific Opportunities to Try and Triumph
- At Woodward North, we offer a wide range of clubs, arts opportunities, and intramural sports. Our lively arts offerings include show choir, dance, orchestra, handbells, and a full array of visual arts options. Students also can choose from horseback riding, fencing, golf, tap class, jump rope club, and a variety of intramural sports as well as a robust robotics program and a competitive chess club. Woodward North`s Odyssey of the Mind program has reached the World Championships multiple times.
- Students at Woodward North develop a deep respect for difference in a community where diversity is more than skin deep. Peers from a broad array of religious and ethnic backgrounds come together to find opportunities to explore and excel at every level, whatever their interests. At Woodward North, our students not only learn about other cultures but experience them daily in their interactions with friends and in their celebrations of special holidays throughout the year including Ramadan, Diwali, Hanukkah, Christmas, Kwanzaa, Chinese New Year, NowRuz, and others.
- The large majority of Woodward North students continue their education at Woodward`s Main Campus in College Park beginning in seventh grade, where they join peers from 100 different zip codes and 23 metro Atlanta counties. The Academy provides bus transportation to and from College Park, and many students choose to ride MARTA, in designated Woodward cars with assigned security officers.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Duluth Grades: K-12 | 334 students
4635 River Green Pkwy
Duluth, GA 30096
(678) 387-9385 1.2 K-12
- Alpharetta Grades: PK-8 | 484 students
5380 Faircroft Drive
Alpharetta, GA 30005
(770) 664-7764 4.5 PK-8
- Duluth Grades: PK-8 | 126 students
2997 Main St
Duluth, GA 30096
(770) 476-9307 2.4 PK-8
- Atlanta Grades: K-12 | 1894 students
1424 W Paces Ferry Road NW
Atlanta, GA 30327
(404) 609-6202 20 K-12
We have been at Woodward North for several years. They have the best teachers who really understand the kids well and help them grow academically and socially. We couldn't be happier picking this school for our son. He looks forward to going there everyday with a smile. That speaks a lot for a young boy. I highly recommend this school for anyone.
- Posted by Parent - rupst
Woodward Academy provides the best and social environment for my children. My husband and I have three children enrolled at the North Campus. We are fully committed and can't wait to experience the Main Campus in College Park. I love how Woodward Academy cares about their students, teachers, staff, and community. The school provides a multicultural environment, which is very vital during a child's learning journey. We appreciate the dedication of the teachers and how they have rallied behind our children's education. We are all in! Go War Eagles!
- Posted by Parent - erika
As a parent I couldn't ask for a safer environment. I have two girls that attend this school, and they absolutely love it there, the school makes them feel safe and welcome everyday. As a parent that gives me a peace of mind. Besides that, school has a great program to prepare the kids for college and keep them challenged along the way, if your child is falling behind they have the option to have tuition from their teacher after school or before school, on the other hand if they are ahead they are placed accordingly. The faculty is very friendly, everyone is always willing to help in all steps if necessary. As a family we love the school. Overall, woodward Academy is a great school!
- Posted by Parent - roshs
I am so pleased that my boys attend Woodward North. My oldest is in 2nd grade (started in Pre-K), my youngest started Pre-K last year. They have both learned so much in the short time that they have been there and they continue to grow both academically and socially. The teachers are top notch! They are not only challenging the students everyday but they also care about the well being of the children. I love that WN is so diverse and there are so many people from so many different cultures. I love the curriculum, I love the teachers, I love the faculty. WN is like a community of parents, teachers and faculty working together to help your child thrive and grow every day. I couldn't be happier.
- Posted by Parent - ancov
My daughter just finished her Pk and started k. She Loves this school. We live far from the school and there is actually a school that's walking distance from our home. However my daughter is happy to do 45 min commute everyday. Parents are very involved and kids are well mannered. Highly recommended
- Posted by Parent - Clim
Woodward North is a wonderful school that support and nutures while constantly raising the bar to higher level in terms of the curriculum. We have enjoyed the opportunity to partner with Woodward in the education of one of our children who has a very unique learning style. This was done in a way that did not compromise the quality, rigor or intergrity of the education. We benefitted greatly from the amazing Transition Program and we now have a high schooler who is mainstreamed and lacks nothing! Woodward has allowed both of our children to grow as leaders and each is operating at their highest academic potential and reaching new heights each season of their time at WN. They are exposed to lessons in leadership, character and excellence through the administration, faclulty, staff and their peers. Our children really love going to school and they realize that it's all designed to bring out their best. They simply love school and they work hard to not disappoint their teachers or peers. It's a great place to grow and learn. When/if students transition to the College Park campus, they are more than prepared for that as well. It's a superb foundation!!!
- Posted by Parent - ctrue
Woodward is a terrific school. Even for the younger kids there are many extra curricular activities. It's very diverse, and there is little teacher turnover, which is very important. There's an active parent community and they really do push your children to learn to the maximum of their ability. If you want the best for your kids and you can afford it then Woodward is definitely worth a hard look.
- Posted by Parent - cyclo
My two sons both started at Woodward North in prekindergarten; my eldest is now in sixth grade. Sending them to Woodward was probably one of the best decisions I have made in their upbringing. The student body is diverse, the parent community welcoming. Most importantly, Woodward teachers and administration are experienced, warm, and clearly show a love for their work. The curriculum is challenging, giving a foundation in math, writing, and analytics that is well beyond that found in public schools. The staff know all the children by name; they pay careful attention to matching students with teachers as well as with classmates. The kids are given an environment in which they feel cared for and well known. I highly recommend Woodward North to any family seeking a first-rate education in a well-rounded, diverse atmosphere.
- Posted by Parent - abhus
Small class size, teachers'' and staff personalities are well matched to students. Emphasis on academics with plenty of extracurricular opportunities. Well suited for the more quiet, studious, serious student. I have also enjoyed getting to know many parents. Very well - rounded educational experience, we are very pleased.
- Posted by Parent - green
Both my kids attended this school and moved on to the main campus. Love this school for the warm learning environment it provided. They have learned life long skills at Woodward North that my son is using at college now.
- Posted by Parent - tovij
This school has been the most valuable for both of my children. The teachers are student centered and really lead our children to excellence, while at the same time, building their character. If you are looking a for a school that creates a well-rounded child, both in education and in co-curricular activities then this is the school for you.
- Posted by Parent - brins
Our daughter has been a Woodward North Student since PK...she is currently a 5th Grader. She absolutely loves it! Most importantly WE love it. The strong academic environment & the engaging teachers make this a PERFECT combination for us & her. The family ''environment'' is definitely a PLUS, PLUS. Before deciding on Woodward North, we visited several private schools in the North ATL area. However, we have never regretted our Woodward decision. Actually, it is one of the best decision we have made for our daughter.
- Posted by Parent - diane
We have two girls at Woodward. The school provides a loving environment for the kids. Our daughters are excited to get up every morning to go to school and enjoy the wonderful learning environment it provides.
- Posted by Parent - princ
Woodward North is wonderful! It has the feel of a sweet, small elementary school with all the resources of Woodward Academy! The music/arts building is incredibly beautiful. Everyone is kind, helpful, and friendly. There are plenty of after school activities, and the kids get recess and p.e. every day. My son is new to the school and has made friends quickly and has improved in all the areas in which he struggled in public school.
- Posted by Parent - annpa
For five years my children attended a different private school in the north Atlanta suburbs. This is the second year they''ve been at Woodward, and it is a much better school for them. There is opportunity to excel academically and a myriad of extracurricular programs to choose from. It is a harder school than they went to before so they had some adjusting to do the first year. In general, the teachers at Woodward North possess more credentials than in other private schools in the surrounding area that we looked into. The curriculum is challenging, yet interesting; age appropriate, yet has pushed both our kids toward their potential in each subject. They''ve had the opportunity to complete numerous projects in math, science, art & social studies, plus developed the ability to study independently.
- Posted by Parent - fairw
Woodward North provides our children with a wonderful, warm, loving environment. The holistic education allows our kids to flow through each "happy" school day as a relaxed, challenging daily adventure. The school has successfully intermingled dance, music, computers, art, physical education, orchestra, & a host of other activities. They have an exceptional science program. In addition, the reading program is outstanding. We recognize that our children need to be exposed to a variety of stimuli at this age. They are given regular opportunities to get on stage, perform in plays & recitals, participate in assemblies, take part in field days, community service projects, student council, celebrations, book buddy programs, etc. The Principal, Vice Principal and Staff greet the children by name. The dedicated teachers go out of their way to be proactive. They are also responsive when working with parents and students. Our two children are thriving, confident, happy individuals. The secret sauce at this school seems to be a mixture of "all things" that make up a healthy, and happy young person.
- Posted by Parent - katys
Great school, this is our 4th year and my son who is now in 3rd grade loves it and every single day he looks forward to run to school and so do I because I love participating in all the, areas where they need help and I enjoy volunteering. GREAT TEACHERS and a friendly environment which makes us all United.
- Posted by Parent - leena
Now that school has safely reopened, what can we parents do to support and encourage the schools we care about so much?
Sending your child to a single-sex school is one of several options you have when it comes to private schools.
This article aims to show you where to look for information about school reopening protocols, school reopening communications, schools that have closed, and schools with COVID-19 cases, among other COVID-19 related issues.